Help! Can’t decide how to upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xoted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve had a 2017 1500 crew 5.7 and it’s been perfect. I wouldn’t need a new truck except I bought this boat and I need to tow 8200 comfortably which is beyond my trucks specs.

I really want a diesel but I’ve read a lot and at the end of the day 95% of the trucks life is spend dropping kids off and driving to my office job. It seems like the emissions issue makes it not worth it. I do drive 45-65 for a solid 20 minutes with no lights and a few stop signs. But that doesn’t seem enough to get things up to temp to burn off the crap in the emissions

So I’m leaning towards gas. 2500 6.4 with the 4.10.

Does that seem like a compromise between 95% of the trucks life and still towing the boat comfortably?

I’ve looked at the other options and between oil consumption (GM) and overpowered motors (ford Godzilla) I feel like I’d rather deal with the engine I know (lifters and exhaust leaks)

Does this seem reasonable? Where am I going wrong?

(Not to mention ram has the best deals right now)

Pastor Bob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Quite the dilemma there. Some questions...How often will you pull the boat? Will the boat be kept at a dock once near water? Could you get one of your neighbors to haul it to the dock? May be able to keep your perfect 2017 after all.

OP
OP
X

Xoted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quite the dilemma there. Some questions...How often will you pull the boat? Will the boat be kept at a dock once near water? Could you get one of your neighbors to haul it to the dock? May be able to keep your perfect 2017 after all.
The boat spends the summer hanging up in our boat lift on our dock. December we put it on the trailer and keep it in a metal building about 1.5 miles off the water. Break it back out in march. In fact I’m heading down next week to get it out with the kids since they’re on spring break. Get some surfing in :)

The problem is the lake house is 3 hours south down 95. We’d like to bring the boat back on Sundays sometimes, so we can take it out around here. That would allow us to bring a bunch of people we’d like to take out, but don’t really want to commit to an entire weekend with them (requiring a 3+ hour drive each way) and we’ll get to use it more :) the local lake is about 45 minutes away and an easy drive

The 1500 tows it just fine for how I am currently using it (in/out of our storage building) but there’s no way in hell I’d take it down the interstate for 2+ hours going 70/75 mph.

I’ve never owned a diesel truck nor a heavy duty truck, and just don’t have experience with that heavy of a haul. So it’s very difficult to figure out what to do - given how you can find someone saying anything somewhere on the internet…

Last edited:

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
2021 Ram 3500/HO Cummins. Low annual mileage, most of which is grocery gettin'. Occasional long trip once every few months. Never an issue with the diesel. Didn't have that issue with the 2018 diesel Ram I had, either...All short trips. They key is to let it warm up before taking those trips. Remote start is your friend.

OP
OP
X

Xoted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh I guess I should mention it’s a 24’ long boat (centurion ri 237 - love my boat :) ) and the trailer is just under 30’ long.

OP
OP
X

Xoted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2021 Ram 3500/HO Cummins. Low annual mileage, most of which is grocery gettin'. Occasional long trip once every few months. Never an issue with the diesel. Didn't have that issue with the 2018 diesel Ram I had, either...All short trips. The key is to let it warm up before taking those trips. Remote start is your friend.
See this is why I’m so frustrated. It’s so confusing. When I started on my research adventure, I wanted a diesel.

But everywhere you go are people saying that if I buy a diesel, I’ll be in and out of the shop with emissions issues. Or going into limp mode on trips.

In fact my original thought was to remote start like you said (I use remote start constantly as is…) but then I read you shouldn’t let it idle it’ll clog the emissions systems

I can swing either engine. I’m happy to get my first diesel. But I don’t have time for those headaches. And I can’t figure out what to believe lol

OP
OP
X

Xoted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't be afraid of a diesel, lots of paranoia and bad info out there.

With that said, you are well within the capability of a gas HD truck, just have to decide if you can live with the poor mpg day to day.
Yeah in fact I was originally going to get a half ton (some are rated for 13000 configured properly). But everyone I talked to that I trust, pointed out that the size of the trailer and the fact that the weight is distributed heavily towards the end of the boat (where the motor is) means I should go 3/4 ton to have better control. The 1/2 ton can technically pull the weight but they think I’ll have problems at highway speed and the trailer will start driving the truck.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
But everywhere you go are people saying that if I buy a diesel, I’ll be in and out of the shop with emissions issues. Or going into limp mode on trips.

In fact my original thought was to remote start like you said (I use remote start constantly as is…) but then I read you shouldn’t let it idle it’ll clog the emissions systems
The people telling you not to buy one, don't usually own one. The problem with idling doesn't come with letting it idle 20mins to warm up. It comes with letting it idle 8hrs a day, 5 days a week. Regen at high idle, or partial short-interval regen isn't as effective as regen at continuous RPM interstate speeds...Regen requires heat, and getting in it and running 5 miles to the store doesn't generate enough heat....That's why I always fire it up, let it idle for 10-15 mins, take off...Leave it idle if I go to the fuel island, etc....Let it reach operating temps so it can DRIVE at operating temps. Pro-tip: On the Ram, if you are in park and you turn on the cruise and hit set, it goes into high idle. I have slept many a night, on high idle, in Florida rest stops with the A/C running, in that mode...Never a problem. In fact, if it goes into regen, it'll go to high idle anyway. Burns .6gal per hour, you stay cool, truck is fine.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You are going to be spending a lot of money in gas daily driving a 6.4….. you will spend slightly less daily driving a 6.7 if diesel and gas prices are the same. If you can’t pay off said new vehicles in a short amount of time you’re going to spend a fortune in interest.

I’ve had both. They’re good vehicles. They will do everything you want them to at a cost $$$$. I grew tired of spending a lot of money to have fun. Downsizing in truck and trailer was one of the best things I’ve done. I’ve also found that it’s only other people’s egos that suffer when you’re happily camping with a smaller trailer and a v6 truck.

If you’re towing your boat all the time, buy the bigger truck. If you’ve got money to burn, buy the bigger truck. If this is a twice per year 30 mile tow, don’t saddle yourself to a money pit.

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
Depending on your annual mileage driven consider that a diesel will cost you 10K more than a gas rig. You can buy a lot of gas vs diesel for that amount. If you drive enough to use the DEF (5 gallons) up in about three months or less, you likely would not have a problem with the diesel. A lot of posts on this forum and the Turbo Diesel Forum advise not to use the diesel as a grocery getter. You also have to ensure that you fill with DEF that is not old or that has been stored in high heat. The def will crystallize over time if not refreshed or if the truck sits for long periods. This can cause upstream and downstream sensors to fail or read a failure in the system. The diesels are made to work and since DEF came along, work hard and often. Not mentioned here is the advantage of the exhaust brake too. A wonderful thing when towing.

My 5.9 diesel has been an outstanding truck but it's pre-DEF. My 2023 6.4 2500 is a gas hog but will do the job you want it to do. If I had it to do over again I would get the 373 gears instead of 410. I don't tow often and the 410's cost me about 1 mile per gallon. There is enough power for the 373 gears 6.4 to tow your boat w/o an issue. I had a 2014 6.7 diesel and loved the truck but hated the DEF that cost me about 3K in sensor replacements. Just did not drive it enough between trips. As mentioned in the above post, they are both good trucks. If it were not for the DEF I would have a newer diesel.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The diesel option is another $10k. My first thought after reading your thread, I think the gasser would be better option. I have always done the 3.73 gears as well.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Either will work fine. If you are driving 20 miles to work, that is plenty to keep the diesel happy. I have had both. I currently have the 6.4 hemi and overall I like it, but always worried/reading about lifter and cam issues. Diesel, you always read/hear about emissions issues. You can have issues with either option, or it can be great with either option. Just depends on your luck. I will say I drove my last cummins 1 mile to work, shut off and then 1 mile home for a couple years. Every weekend I drove about 8 miles to my parents house. Once or twice a month drove it to the city 25 to 30 miles away. Never had an issue. I got rid of it and went to gas because I was worried I would eventually have issues. It is nice to have the hemi during cold months...remote start for a few minutes and have warm air blowing when I get in. As far as towing I would rather have the Cummins any day of the week. It just makes towing so effortless...the hemi is not like that. It will get the job done, but not even close to as easily as the Cummins.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I've had both. I loved my pre-DEF diesel and would still have it if it didn't get totaled.

That being said I would not dive into another diesel unless I was using it for more than just gas mileage.

When I was forced out of my F-250 (yes, a Ford) I had to re-evaluate what I was using my truck for. I didn't haul much any more and rarely towed so (painfully) stepped down to a gas truck. I couldn't justify the operating/maintenance/repair costs with a newer common rail and all the emissions equipment that comes with that unless I was making the powertrain earn its keep.

Don't get me wrong - I'm compression ignition through and through; but the practicality wasn't there to stay in the club.

With what you have listed, if it were me, I would pick the 6.4L 2500. You can't beat an HD truck for towing no matter what engine it has.

Just my .02

OP
OP
X

Xoted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So first - thank you for all the responses. I sincerely appreciate it. I’m aware people post these often, tried to make sure I read all I could first.

One question I have is the 6.4 being referred to as bad gas mileage. I get like 16-17 on average on my 1500. How much worse is daily driving a 6.4?

Also how scared of this lifter cam issue should I be? Is it worth voiding warranty to swap parts out from the start? I’ve read about it as an issue since I own the 5.7, but I have no concept of cost or best way to deal with it.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with the 6.4L but you are adding upwards of a ton of weight (literally) that the engine has to move around...and that's empty.

Some Google-ing shows about 13 mpg average fuel economy for the 6.4L and 20-ish for the Cummins.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So first - thank you for all the responses. I sincerely appreciate it. I’m aware people post these often, tried to make sure I read all I could first.

One question I have is the 6.4 being referred to as bad gas mileage. I get like 16-17 on average on my 1500. How much worse is daily driving a 6.4?

Also how scared of this lifter cam issue should I be? Is it worth voiding warranty to swap parts out from the start? I’ve read about it as an issue since I own the 5.7, but I have no concept of cost or best way to deal with it.

I've owned both diesel and gas 2500's (only diesel now) and I would plan on ~13 mpg daily driving, maybe a little better if it's highway with no stops but 13 give or take is a good estimate of real world. I know some will claim higher but you can look at real world hand calculated data on fuelly and it will put you right around that 13 mark. .

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4 gas, 3.73 gears all day. Change oil every 5k miles. PUP oil and a good quality filter, years of trouble free service.