SLT upgrade to navigation...whats all needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
been looking at some larger radios with the navigation build in, my truck is a 2017 SLT 2500 with the tiny touch screen in it

would i be able to get an 8.4 and plug and play or does it require some more work ?

no chance there is an alfaOBD setting to turn navigation on in this thing, no?

(my radio looks like this)

1708838314623.png

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You could buy a 8.4 AN RA4 radio & the Radio Bezel that surrounds it
it would look something like this

1708842143327.png

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Would those HVAC controlls work with my truck?
They seem quite different
It requires the purchase of a conversion harness which can be purchased from a forum member/vendor @Mpgrimm2 (M2Mods) which will allow the new HVAC bezel to function. It also requires several other parts, if you message him he can tell you what your truck needs to make the swap.

For NAV radios you have several choices, the older RA4/VP4 from 2013-2017 or the newer 2018+ UAS (no NAV) or UAQ (factory NAV) radios. Personally I recommend the UAS as it doesn't have factory navigation but allows you to plug in your phone and use its navigation apps via Apple Car Play or Android Auto.

OP
OP
diymirage

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It requires the purchase of a conversion harness which can be purchased from a forum member/vendor @Mpgrimm2 (M2Mods) which will allow the new HVAC bezel to function. It also requires several other parts, if you message him he can tell you what your truck needs to make the swap.

For NAV radios you have several choices, the older RA4/VP4 from 2013-2017 or the newer 2018+ UAS (no NAV) or UAQ (factory NAV) radios. Personally I recommend the UAS as it doesn't have factory navigation but allows you to plug in your phone and use its navigation apps via Apple Car Play or Android Auto.
Thanks

I've come across what looks like a bezel that fits the radio I want and the HVAC controls I have

I was hoping to find something that is plug and play

(I am talking to Mpgrimm2 aswell)

I'm not sure I see the advantage of the UAS radio, seems like it ties my phone up again, and I might aswell put it on the dash

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks

I've come across what looks like a bezel that fits the radio I want and the HVAC controls I have

I was hoping to find something that is plug and play

(I am talking to Mpgrimm2 aswell)

I'm not sure I see the advantage of the UAS radio, seems like it ties my phone up again, and I might aswell put it on the dash
Wrong bezel but he will tell you what you need.

reddawg67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a note if you buy one and try to activate the nav thru Uconnect it’s like 600 bucks.if you decide you don’t want the nav I have an ra3 already updated to fw 18.45.01 and I have the cell dongle from m2mods . I will have to check but I might have a bezel too for the 8.4 . Only reason I pulled it out is I went with the uaq radio with CarPlay .

Last edited:
OP
OP
diymirage

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just a note if you buy one and try to activate the nav thru Uconnect it’s like 600 bucks.if you decide you don’t want the nav I have an ra3 already updated to fw 18.45.01 and I have the cell dongle from m2mods . I will have to check but I might have a bezel too for the 8.4 . Only reason I pulled it out is I went with the uaq radio with CarPlay .
thanks, but the navigation is the only reason in considering doing this

i might be interested in the dongle (?) and the bezel, but truth be told, this sounds like it will be so expensive, it will have to wait untill midyears bonus

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If your upgrading to get navigation, it's highly recommend to go with a radio from a '18 or newer truck, UAS or UAQ to use AndroidAuto or CarPlay. The factory navigation leaves a lot to be desired.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

i might be interested in the dongle (?) and the bezel, but truth be told, this sounds like it will be so expensive, it will have to wait untill midyears bonus
Technically, you can perform the upgrade in steps and not all at once. Do you have steering wheel audio controls already?

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Why not just have an aftermarket head unit with android auto/carplay built in? Factory nav sucks, I sure wouldn't pay for the bother of using it. Are there no good options for those trucks?