SLT upgrade to navigation...whats all needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Why not just have an aftermarket head unit with android auto/carplay built in? Factory nav sucks, I sure wouldn't pay for the bother of using it. Are there no good options for those trucks?
Factory NAV is not so great, but the OEM radios with AA and Car play are pretty nice IMO.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No, and no intention of getting them iether
I did the 8.4 upgrade to my 2018 2500. The upgrade of the steering wheel controls is really a no-brainer, I highly recommend it as the control of volume and channels is so much easier to do. Part number was RAMAUDWHLKIT you can teach out to Benny at All Mopar Parts in vendor section.

You have same ac controls as I did, I bought a bezel from Infotainment (couldn't find an undamaged one when I was looking) that originally did not have the separate volume control but I added it 2 years later realizing not getting it originally was a mistake. You can get a bezel off a wreck, see link below, but really like the ease of how the separate volume button works.

I also recommend a UAS instead of navigation unit because the system is already out of date when you get it, upgrades are expensive and also out of date when released. I use the wired connection, not problematic at all but you can go with something like the Motorola M1 dongle for wireless if desired.

Also, recommend a 2019 unit as 2018s had a delamination problem. Got mine from car-parts.com.

You have reached out to Mike already. He is a great guy and will set you straight. I have a couple wiring harnesses from him for different things, awesome service.

Good luck.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
IF your radio makes all the noises, (sounds) that you want.

Just buy a Garmin Drive Smart Bluetooth with Lifetime Maps & Traffic
i suggest a 5" or 7" & mount it in the cubby above the radio

Personally, i have a Magellan Truckers GPS, most ppl would not need it

rick16706

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic - Warlock
Engine
6 Cyl 3.6L
FWIW my 2019 Warlock came with the UAS (8.4 screen without the navigation). I didn't have a smart phone at the time and wanted the navigation so I swapped out the UAS for the UAQ (the unit that has the navigation built in). I have to say I was very disappointed in the way the navigation works (or actually the way it doesn't work). It would frequently route me through neighborhood side streets and and send me on round about convoluted directions that wasted a lot of time and gas. Also, you have to pay for updated maps every so often and they ain't cheap.

I finally got a smart phone and discovered Android Auto. The difference in accuracy of the maps is unbelievable. And there is no charge for updated maps since they are continuously updated. The Android Auto even warns you of things like speed traps as you're driving (Car Play works basically the same way if you use an Iphone.)

I am really kicking myself in the butt for going to the expense and time of switching the units. I could have used the Android Auto with the UAS and saved myself a lot of grief. As it is, I haven't bothered to use the POS Factory Navigation for at least a couple of years.

Just some food for thought. Good luck with whatever route you decide to go.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Anyone ever use something like this ?

Chinese knockoffs with highly variable lifespans and generally low quality in terms of slow response, glitchy, etc. It is definitely a 'get what you pay for' scenario.

rideorange

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey man I have the same truck and completed the same upgrade that you are describing except I got the UAQ. Mike's conversion kit and harnesses is the best one available and his customer service can't be beat anywhere. If you have any questions just DM me. Good Luck!

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Chinese knockoffs with highly variable lifespans and generally low quality in terms of slow response, glitchy, etc. It is definitely a 'get what you pay for' scenario.
The description indicates music is transferred via FM, not even Bluetooth. This seems like old 1990s technology. Reads like a am/fm radio, not even sure why it says gps.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
The description indicates music is transferred via FM, not even Bluetooth. This seems like old 1990s technology. Reads like a am/fm radio, not even sure why it says gps.

That's just the magic of Chinese company instruction manuals and advertisements written by people who sorta speak English. Read in other places and it has built in wifi and Bluetooth 5.0.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Whatever it is, I would rather just toss the money out the window than get fleeced and then frustrated that it doesn't work, while I try to fix it.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Whatever it is, I would rather just toss the money out the window than get fleeced and then frustrated that it doesn't work, while I try to fix it.

Agreed. And you won't be able to fix it. They are cheap because they use hardware that's several generations old, completely underpowered for the software that's on it, and offer zero support. It would be like digging your 2006 laptop out and installing the newest versions of Windows and Office on it, then expecting it to run without laggy performance and frequent crashes. It's just not capable of it.