Help! Can’t decide how to upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
It takes a lot of boat to get to 8,000 pounds. Can you keep your boat at the lake? Either a slip or a storage place on the trailer might make sense. I had a heavy sailboat. I found a slip at Lake Tahoe for a couple of hundred bucks and only hauled my boat once in the spring and once in the fall.

For heavy loads like 8k pounds diesel all the way. $10k is cheap compared to the longevity and resale price.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
No argument there. Diesel is a better puller/hauler period. And a HD (2500+) is a better tow rig no matter how you slice it.

But...if I was towing 8200 lbs twice a year for 1.5 miles I don't think it's worth a diesel, especially if the OP is worried about run time for the engine.

I'm in alignment you should tow within capacity so a 2500 is the way to go but, for 3 miles a year, is it worth the care and feeding that goes with the Cummins? I think that turns into a "want" more than a "need". Is it worth changing nearly twice as much oil each time? And changing the fuel filters every other oil change? Only the OP can answer that.

A lot of people get turned off by diesels because they don't know what they are getting into. They jump on the low-end power and better fuel economy but don't know about the higher maintenance costs or care and feeding that go into keeping that powerplant stout and strong.

Not sure what location the OP lives in but I know around here there are towing services that can move your trailer/boat for you.

I will, however, revert to this in post #1:

...I really want a diesel...

That is a very powerful statement; one that I made in a forum similar to this over 18 years ago...and then my compression ignition obsession began. :cool:

Last edited:

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2017 2500 6.7 Cummins with 150k pulls our 21' Skeeter, and everything else... effortlessly. I haul hay, pull my cow trailer, or a 20' flatbed with my tractor on it.

When I'm not towing, we get around 17-19 mpg. Yes, there's additional maintenance, but I enjoy doing it.

FWIW- I also have a 1996 Dodge 1500 with the 5.9 360. It could pull the boat, but that's about it, and you definitely know it's back there.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I had a 17 bighorn crew cab 2wd with 3.23 gears and the limit was 8300 lb. If you’re not towing far or often your truck dhould be able to handle it.

man n black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I'm on my second 2500 CTD. My first was a Gen3 that had all the emissions stuffs and was tuned. I had no problems with light loads or failures. My current truck is a Gen4 and I wouldn't trade it for the world. For most of its life it was a driveway queen when not hauling the old Travel Trailer, vitually every trip was a short in town jaunt and it has been mechanically excellent. As somoeone else said he hauls his boat and all manner of other stuff without effort. Me too.

As far as issues with the DPF clogging up you can help this by running the truck with the exhaust brake on all the time as it helps to keep heat in the exhaust.

Funnily I too just pulled my boat off the lift for spring cleaning

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 9
  • image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 9

FF376

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2018 6.4 w/3:73 gears gets about 15mpg in mixed daily driving. It tows 8k or so just fine but then mileage falls off a cliff... I run full synthetic top quality oil and do services every 5 k and have not had any issues yet but it only has 40k on it. My two cents you are describing the very reason the gas 6.4 exists. Enough motor to pull "medium" loads and still be economical enough to use as a daily driver without any thought about it.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Special ordered 2021 6.4 2500 4x4 CC with 4.10 gears. Empty, mix of rural/ thru town driving I've seen as low as 13.2 & high as 15.5 mpg...all on 87 octane. 4 1/2hr trip from MD into VA saw 18.6mpg....16.4 on return trip due to traffic backups. My tow rating is just under 17K lbs, payload is just under 3K lbs. Pulling 2 pallets of mulch on my 16' flatbed trailer, or my buddy's 29' fishing boat (with dual 250hp Yamaha's) is as comfortable as driving it empty. Yes, a load drops mpg...I saw about 10 towing.
After 2 1/2yrs, I have no regrets with this purchase.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've owned both diesel and gas 2500's (only diesel now) and I would plan on ~13 mpg daily driving, maybe a little better if it's highway with no stops but 13 give or take is a good estimate of real world. I know some will claim higher but you can look at real world hand calculated data on fuelly and it will put you right around that 13 mark. .

Yep. 12 to 13 is spot on for factory tires. I run 285/75 (35”) and mileage dropped to 11. Towing 5k will put you around 9-10. 26 gal gas tank will take you right at 300 miles. That part sucks. These number are hand calculated. Computer is 1mpg higher.

Payload at 3300 is plain fantastic from the base tradesman of course. Could carry 2 vw bugs… if they would fit.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does ford and chevy have these same kind of stipulations of the diesel?
I mean like the short trips,heating up,regen stuff.
I know others that own both and swear by them but never heard stuff like what I read here.