HELP, Drive Shaft Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TiE2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Need some assistance.

Yesterday on the way home from work, I was turning onto a main road, when I heard a loud clunk, then my steering wheel started to shake. I immediately pulled off the road and into a parking lot, but by that time my drive shaft had fallen and completely snapped off my truck. I was able to pick it up off the road and it looks like the u joints snapped on both the front and rear of the shaft. I'm unsure how much damage was done at either the transmission end or the rear axle end, as we are in a blizzard conditions as of late. I'll have a better look later on tonight after work.

Anyway, I'm fairly unfamiliar with how the drive shaft system works / what I should be looking at in terms of damage. I have a basic understanding, but would like an expert to explain a little more in detail. I've searched the net for a good diagram of my truck but can't seem to come up with anything, or at least nothing specific for my truck.

Looking at the shaft it's self it appears to be undamaged (as in bent) and I would like to reuse the shaft if it is purely just the u joints that went out.

But I’m also having a hard time finding any parts on line... as in the whole system, and all the local auto parts stores I’ve searched on, don't seem to offer anything beyond the u joints. So if someone has a link to a few good and trusted sites where I can purchase my parts from, that would be great as well.

Here are my truck specifics if needed:

05 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 SLT 5.7
Regular Cab with a short bed

Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide!

OP
OP
TiE2000

TiE2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, got a good look at my truck this afternoon, and this is what appears to have happend.

RamPropShaft_zpsa12ded50.png

at the front Yoke, were the u-joint connects, is where the failure happened. The lip holding the u-joint in place broke, causing the shaft to spin wildly and breaking the other lip. At this point the shaft fell to the ground acting like a pole vault. Luckily when this happened I was turning into the parking lot at a slow speed (5mph) and the shaft twisted at the rear u-joint, and only snapping the u shaped U-joint connector at the rear flange. This is when the shaft fell to the ground.
I’m currently looking at replacement parts. I need to replace the front Yoke, and the rear flange.

I also found the part numbers for each - Flange - 5015556aa Yoke - 5014043aa

At this point I'm just looking to see if anyone knows were I can obtain these parts at a decent price. Thanks!

OP
OP
TiE2000

TiE2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try Rock Auto.com

They are a vendor on here. Look to the right vendor bar. ------>>>>>

Thanks, but looks like they don't carry either.

But thanks for the heads up on the vendor list. I ended up going through each of them and found that factorymopar.com does carry both parts, and at a much cheaper cost then what my local dealership quoated me.

Flange - http://www.factorymopar.com/oemparts/dodge-120/5015556aa.html
Yoke - http://www.factorymopar.com/oemparts/dodge-120/5014043aa.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca