Help! Inconsistent hemi HP from factory.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FranksterX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
my 2015 5.7 hemi ram 1500, for a truck, i figure from a stop, turning and mashing the gas, I should be able to crack the tires. Some times it will get a good drift and other times I can’t even get the tires to squeak. Is this common? Bought with no miles, pedal response was horrible, after several resets, I added the pedal commander. Very nice, actually added safety to driving. I just added super 44 muffler and a K&N CAI. Sounds great, now withCAI, truck can fall on it’s face when giving too much pedal. As in I can give too much pedal and it actually slows down. No trouble lights have come on. Feel like somehow getting too much air,or not enough gas. Is inconsistent power common with hemis? I’m not looking to take it to the track, but I would the option to boil my tires. It’s a truck, light back end, this should be easy. 2 wheel drive, 6 speed trans. 30k miles. Not sure how much of any warranty is voided so far, what’s the best way for consistency. Should I get a tuner or something? I am not computer savvy. Could I fix this for 1-$500s? Open for what’s worked for others. I do turn off traction control and I put In 5th gear to stay out of eco mode, I do this every time I start tengine.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You have to turn off the electronic nannies, or: traction control to toast your tires. With a 2015 ram, I thought you would have the 8 speed trans.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Or that hot air intake is pulling timing.

OP
OP
F

FranksterX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I do turn off traction control and I put in manual 5th to keep eco mode from working. As far as hot air, not sure if I understand. Ambient air around 45-55 degrees.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It's most likely the ESC kicking in, the truck compares the acceleration, steering angle, yaw rate, etc and will pull the throttle.
To confirm if it the electronic nannies, pull the F26 fuse. Your ABS module will be disabled until you put the fuse back in(proceed with caution and your own risk).

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like crash68 said, you have to pull the fuse to “turn off” the ESC. Just pushing the button only turn it “partly off”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I do turn off traction control and I put in manual 5th to keep eco mode from working. As far as hot air, not sure if I understand. Ambient air around 45-55 degrees.

I believe that's his way of saying most cold air intakes are junk/gimmicks and do nothing ( IE no seat of the pants difference) for performance. They do a good job of draining your wallet of money. I could make a few more comments but wont for the stability of this thread. LOL! If I'm interpreting his comment correctly...

On point...I'd bet money its traction control or esc causing your issue. No such inconsistent power complaints out of the hemi I'm aware of.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agree with the above, pull it test it out, put it back in. What I found disturbing though was your comment about having to back off the throttle or it falls on its face. Mine with just a K&N drop in felt like I would go flat in 3rd gear under WOT but never to the point of backing off throttle to accelerate better. What about say WOT from 50-70mph? Quick or feel sluggish?
Also make sure your hood liner is secured and not sucking down on too half of filter.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
K&N isn't a true sealed intake so a heat soaked engine is just pulling hot air and the PCM may be dropping timing. Just a theory as you said after the install it was inconsistent, usually your traction control light will flicker if it's a TCM nanny.

The S&B/Mopar or sealed Vararam are true "cold air" intakes, the factory box is as well but it's pretty restricted in flow through the smaller flex piping/filter volume.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^ditto above facts....the K&N may just be moving a shload of hot air and growling. After spending the $$ on it, you prob arent real happy to hear that I know. I have the Vararam and it is a legit performance improvement. Exactly in the spot you say the truck falls flat is when lower temp outside air is being sucked into the TB on the Vararam and it just pulls. Cant speak via any personal experience with others.

OP
OP
F

FranksterX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thank you for the inputs. Will try fuse, but since day 1, some days I can smoke the tires, other days no. I didn’t expect air filter to add to power, just always ran k&n in my bikes. I am familiar with the abs assisting, it’s not had a chance to kick in, the tires won’t even slip. The light doesn’t blink. I turn off trac con because I do not like losing control of my gas pedal.I will check hood liner. I do appreciate any and all ideas. Hood open, i cannot dry rev above 4K rpms now. I know, not preferred, but factory filter I cold rev higher. New muffler, had to see how it sounded. While driving it does go above 4K rpm, but I can’t just pedal to carpet. Feel like it’s lean. But I grew up with carbs. And I’m not exaggerating, it literally reduces rpm while maintaining pedal position. This can happen at over 2.5-3.5k rpms. Of which I back off the pedal, then rpms will then Increase. Will try and see if I puff black smoke, very tinted windows, sure I should try and look. Technology as it is, figure it’s not possible to be rich, I will look.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FranksterX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Odd, before my muffler swap it went high enough I wonerdered where redline was. I know that wouldn’t change it, just saying I know it went pretty high before, but since air filter change I have noticed it’s much reduced. Maybe it wasn’t working before. My trucks not making much sense lately is all