HELP! New ball joints and tie rods, Drives like crap!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mat Christensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
So I put a new set of tires on my 08 2500 megacab, Nitto Terras 285/75/17, The same tires I just put 60k on. I did this while I was on a trip in TN. It drove perfect with the new tires, but as a precaution, I took it in for an alignment the next day. They told me I needed ball joints and tie rods, so I had them do it. They also ended up replacing the front bearings, because they said they were seized on. So, $1500 later and my truck drives like crap. They spent another day messing with it, told me it was my steering stabilizer, then it was something in the rear end, blah blah. The made some tweaks and it got a little better, but not good. They told me to put a couple thousand miles on it. I had to leave TN, because I was on a schedule. The truck corners fine, but going straight, it feels like it wants to wander and at times I find myself chasing it back and forth; almost getting speed wobbles. It doesn't have a distinctive pull to either side.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

TERRY G ABNEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sounds like a horrible shop , first try a local shop for a new alignment and see if they can help would be first thing I would do and see if they find an issue with previous work done ,, sounds like they did not set something right when doing the alinement ,,and I would never let a shop do work if I was out of town unless I was completely broke down as its hard to get back to make them stand behind their work, and another reason I do 99% of my own work,,
maybe the info below can give some insight

Camber, Caster, Toe-in/Toe-out, explained

On this page we will try to give you more background information on the influence of "camber, caster, toe-in/out on the handeling of your car.
We will start of with a basic explanation first.

Wiel%20ophanging%20detail.topview.jpg

CAMBER
Probabely is the most familiar term of the 3.
Camber is the angle of the wheels,relative to the road, looking at the car from the front (or rear).
Try to imagine a vertical line through the middle of the wheel
0 degrees camber is when this imaginary line is in square with the road. (black)
Positive camber occurs when the "middle-lines" are in "V-shape" (red line)
Negative camber occurs when the "middle-lines"are in "A-shape" (green line)
camber.pos.neg.2.gif

CASTER
Looking to the car from the side;
Imagine/draw an axis-line through the steering-turning-axis of the wheel.
Most of the times through the upper and lower ball-joints or through the
centreline of the McPherson-strut.
Positive caster occurs when the top of this axis-line tilts towards the rear of the
car. (green line), Negative caster is the opposite (red line)
Positive caster provides the selfcentring-force which makes the car go straight without holding the steering wheel.
caster.pos.neg.gif

TOE-IN & TOE-OUT
Looking to the car from the top (or bottom) ;
Imagine lines through the middle of the wheels in riding direction.
TOE-IN occurs when these lines are in "A-shape", lines cross in front of the wheels. (red lines)
TOE-OUT occurs when these lines are in "V-shape"; lines cross behind wheels. (green lines)
toe.in.out.detail.gif

By now we hope you're "getting the big picture";

CasterCamberToe3.jpg

PART 2: What influence do CAMBER, CASTER, and TOE-IN/OUT have on the behaviour of the car?

CAMBER generaly will be around - 0.5 to - 5.5 degrees. (negative)

When cornering the body of the car will start rolling, inducing positive camber. Negative camber will compensate this effect.
Result: more grip and stability while cornering.
Also; negative camber creates a force on the wheels called "camber-thrust". Going straight Left and Right will be in balance and the car goes straight.
Result; better straigth stability with more negative camber.
When cornering the inner wheel will be lifted from a little to sometimes completely. Than the camber-thrust will cause the car to make a sharper turn, pushing the car inwards.
Result; Better cornering
That's why car-designers try to keep about 0.5 degree negative camber while cornering with the suspension being compressed. That means that the negative-camber at ride height will become more negative when suspension compresses, at the same time the bodyroll will eat up negative camber. Hopefully leaving a bit of negative for Cornering-grip and better steering and even heating of the tires as well as even tire-wear.

Question; Is Negative-Camber always a positive thing?
Answer; No
Why; It will cause tire-wear on the inner-side of the tyres going straigth.

Ideal would be that the tires are always perpendicular to the road under all circumstances.
For a salooncar this will be harder than for a race car, because of more wheel-travel, softer suspension, more body-roll.
Also tire wear should be economical with a saloon-/street-car. Racers have more budget for tires.........most of the times.

So a compromise has to be made;
Most of the times this will be between 0.5 and 2.0 degrees negative camber.

On most streetcars camber is rather difficult to adjust.
Except if you use Intrax camber-plates, than camber can be adjusted in a few seconds.

CASTER (or CASTOR)
Generaly will be between +2 and 5.5 degrees, positive.
Only applies to the front-/steering-wheels.
Caster is needed to create straigth-line stability or one could say "directional steering stability"
In order to understand what the effect of caster is we can take the front-wheels of a shopping cart.
These wheels do have positive caster and because of that they will go in the direction where you push the cart.
If you would turn these wheels 180 degrees than they would have negative caster.
Pushing the cart now will be a lot more difficult and at the same time very unpredictable/unstable.

Positive caster will also affect camber when steering;
The outher wheel will get more negative camber as the inner wheel's camber will get less negative.

The more positive caster the more "feed-back" you will feel driving the car, especially with a force feedback wheel.
One could think, "the more positive caster the better" but that's not really the case.
It would make steering harder as the steering force will increase.
Also there's another disadvantage;
While steering; positive caster will cause the inner wheel to rise and the outher wheel will drop.
This again will transfer "corner-weight" from the inner to the outher wheel, causing a loose feeling in the car.

Normally it's not so easy to adjust caster on a car but using Intrax camber-plates also makes the caster adjustable.

TOE-IN / TOE-OUT
Affects 3 majore areas; Tire wear, straight-line stability and corner entry handling.

For minimum tire-wear it would be ideal to have the wheels parralel / 0 degrees while riding.
This can be acomplished to give a bit static toe-out to a frontwheel-drive car, or toe-in to a rearwheel-driver.
A frontwheel-drive car has the tendency to understeer.
Toe-out will induce a bit of oversteer, so it could compensate the frontwheel-driver's understeer.

Excessive toe-in will cause the tire to scrub on the outboards and so will shorten the tire-life.
Too much toe-out will cause the inboard edges to wear out.

Steering response will be improved with toe-out.
Straight line stability will be improved with toe-in.

Sometimes toe-in or toe-out is used for another effect; Tire-temperature.
For racing-tires it's very important to reach a certain temperature in order to deliver maximum performance/gripp.
If the tires stay too cool than toe can be used for the "scrubbing" efect,
The scrubbing also has another positive effect; It will scrub the tires clean providing extra gripp for braking and cornering.

Street cars often are set up with toe-in; For good straight-line stability cornering is sacrefied.
Race cars are often set up with toe-out; Straight-line stability is sacrisfied for good cornering.

If the suspension is independent; Toe-in or -out can also be applied to the rear-wheels. The effect on the rear-wheels is generaly the same as on the front.

Also there's a difference between static and dynamic toe. Especially on a frontwheel-driver you see this happening.
The same goes for a rearwheel-driver with independent suspension left and rear.
What happens is that when torque is applied ; The driven wheels pull themselves forward trying to toe-in.
Now it depents on the construction of the suspension how much the toe-in will increase.
On streetcars this effect is a lot bigger than on race cars as they use softer rubber bushings in the suspension-joints.
These provide more comfort and "kill" more noise but doing so sacrefice precision and stiffness.

CONCLUSION:
All the above is of great importance on the handeling of the car. as well as the level of satisfaction of the driver.
So if possible use factory settings or settings who have proven to be good, as a starting point for a new setup with new springs, shocks, and/or camber-plates on your car.
Investing a vast amount of money in new shocks and not lining the wheels again in a proffesional workshop, could make your suspension-investment absolete!
It could be that you do not feel any improvement of the suspension upgrade. Also your car can easily become unsafe on a straigth, during cornering and/or under braking.
Also we hope you understand more about the lining of a car and at the same time are aware of the importance of it.
We wish you lots of safe riding-pleasure!

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
It may be the ball joints they installed. When they went out on my '05 the shop used Moog, and it never drove the same. Many others have reported the same issue. While the factory ball joints may fail sooner than we'd like, at least the truck drives right.

KansasBob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It may be the ball joints they installed. When they went out on my '05 the shop used Moog, and it never drove the same. Many others have reported the same issue. While the factory ball joints may fail sooner than we'd like, at least the truck drives right.

Interesting.......... I'm not doubting you, but I can't rationalize in my mind why a different ball joints could cause this? I replaced the Lowers myself at 50K and didn't even get an alignment. Moog problem solvers. I can take my hands off the wheel at 70 mph pulling a 31 foot 5th wheel, and felt absolutely no difference in the way the truck drives.

The upper/A frame units, and tie rods are waiting on the shelf to be installed. I know I will need an alignment after replacing the uppers, and I'm sitting here wondering if there is a bad data base the shops are using for alignment specs? It doesn't seem likely, but can someone explain to my why "Any" new front end parts can cause handling issues? In my mind it has to be the alignment?

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
The theory was the internal fit and finish made it feel "notchy" or "draggy". The ball joints are a bigger issue on the Cummins powered trucks, due to the sheer weight of the engine. This was on a more diesel oriented forum, and there were way too many with the same results with parts house ball joints to be a coincidence. The alignment was right on the money, like it was before but the truck sorta wandered, and didn't track as well.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’m leaning towards a toe out problem” String “ the side wall of the rear to front tires with steering wheel straight and see if the string is gaped on the front tire closest to the cab on both sides. It should have barely any toe out. Google dirty front end alignment it it’s not clear what I am trying to say.