Help with my audio update!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yooper600

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have a 2015 Big Horn crew cab with the non-Alpine system and the Uconnect 8.4AN. I want to keep the factory touchscreen head unit. I believe there are 6 speakers. One in each door, and then two in the dash (one on each side). The door speakers should be 6x9 with the dash speakers being 3.5". I'm an auto mechanic, but don't know a whole lot of the ins and outs of aftermarket audio equipment. I figure I have about $2000 to spend to step up the system. I'm gonna go with the Kicker Hideaway under the passenger seat as I don't want to lose my storage or the Fold Flat Floor under the rear seat. So what speakers should I install? Stay with 6x9's in the doors or go with 6.5"? I know about the mounting depth problem, but they make kits to fix that if I go with 6x9's. Should I go with coaxial speakers or components? 2 way or 3 way? I have no problem installing tweeters in the sails. Audio Processor? I know nothing about processors, but have read I need one if I am to keep the factory head unit. How many outputs should the processor have? Amp to power everything? I'm guessing I will want a 6 channel amp, (each speaker minus the sub as it's self powered), but I really don't know. Will I need an equalizer? What else am I missing?

Last edited:

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’d recommend doing some reading over on the DIYMA website.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced my 6 speakers with JBL Club series speakers ad it made a big difference in sound. I used 6x9’s in the doors. I used a spacer to take care of the mounting depth issue.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Search the forum for speaker upgrade...lots of info.
I swapped oem to Kicker cs 6x9s in all doors, spacers needed. Loved the improvement but decided to splurge for Focal 6x9s. Added a Rockville 8" powered sub. Now this stereo sounds great even without adding a amp to it.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, this is what I would do (bear in mind that I’m kind of an idiot when it comes to budgeting).

An Audiofrog 3 way front with a JL VXi 8 channel amp. All prices are from Crutchfield. You may do better at a local dealer.

GB10 tweeter in the sail panels. $299
GB25 Midrange in the dash corners. $399

Midbass has a few options
The big dog is the GB60 but it will cost you. $799
The GS690 is a killer 6x9 midbass but needs some massaging to fit. $299
Lastly is the GS60. I haven’t heard this one but it should be pretty good. $250

JL VX800/8i - 8 channel amp with built in DSP. Bridge two channels on the midbass to give the system some balls.

This setup would sound amazing although you might not even notice the little Kicker sub. LOLOLOLOL

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I wouldn't touch the rears. Spend your money on front stage, sub and amp/processor. Audiocontrol makes a 6 channel amp with dsp. Three way components up front because you have the room to do it.

OP
OP
Yooper600

Yooper600

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, this is what I would do (bear in mind that I’m kind of an idiot when it comes to budgeting).

An Audiofrog 3 way front with a JL VXi 8 channel amp. All prices are from Crutchfield. You may do better at a local dealer.

GB10 tweeter in the sail panels. $299
GB25 Midrange in the dash corners. $399

Midbass has a few options
The big dog is the GB60 but it will cost you. $799
The GS690 is a killer 6x9 midbass but needs some massaging to fit. $299
Lastly is the GS60. I haven’t heard this one but it should be pretty good. $250

JL VX800/8i - 8 channel amp with built in DSP. Bridge two channels on the midbass to give the system some balls.

This setup would sound amazing although you might not even notice the little Kicker sub. LOLOLOLOL

So forgive my ignorance, but if I choose to go this route with the JL amp with audiofrog, will I need crossovers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, the VXi series has a built in DSP.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
My inexpensive easy upgrade

Kicker KEY180.4 DSP amp $199 45x4amp with built in DSP and time alignment, bi amp door and dash
KISL speaker to RCA wire adapter $20
Kicker KSC3504 $40
Hideaway $300
Door speaker 46CSC6934 $100

if you wanna add even more power
Kicker 46CXA360.4 75x4, retain KEY as peamp and DSP $200

well under $1000