Hemi 5.7 tick on cold start resolved

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajc8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found the culprit on majority of the Hemi 5.7L tick on cold start.
It is a fuel pressure issue, and here is the procedure of determining.
At a cold start, turn on the ignition, but do not start. After hearing the fuel pump stop, turn the ignition off. Then turn it back on, do not start. Wait for the pump to stop.
Then start the truck. It should be a quiet and normal start without the ticking. If it still does, do the above 3 times, then start. If ticking does not happen with doing the above, then it is a fuel pressure issue, and not a manifold, not lifters, not an oil issue.
Mine never ticks after doing it 2 or 3 times before start.
So, I want to point to a new fuel filter, or new fuel pump, or new fuel regulator.
Try it for yourselves.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Interesting. Mine will make some noise on startup occasionally, sounds exactly like the LS "piston slap" from my old trucks. But it doesn't do it all the time.

boothby1952

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For me, this info is probably the last desperate attempt to my Hemi tick issue. If this doesn't work, then I'll accept that the tick is from the lifters. I don't think I'm going to drop much more money into this truck. But not sure what I'm going to do with it. Thanks for the info.

zrock

Reaction score
you were probably not hearing the HEMI tick then but something else... Its always one of 2 things exhaust studs or lifters..