Retractable Running boards motor issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ConcreteworksYYZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have a 2019 Ram 1500 sport with the retractable Running Boards that automatically come out when you open the door. Really neat when they worked. But now that I've got 65k Miles (110k km) the driver side motor has seized, ands the passenger side showing the same issue. Took it to dealer and quite expensive to fix $1200+ each side to replace motor and hinge. Wondering if anyone has a suggestion on how else to fix this?
Tried removing the motor and replacing that, but it's a full assembly.
Appreciate some feedback. Thank you

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would research buying the parts from other than the dealer. I don’t have any specific info to help you but typically dealer prices are pretty high compared to general retail market places. I have been spraying the hinges on mine with oil in hopes of extending their life - I hope. Maybe someone will chime in with a source for parts.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Biggest issue is keeping them clean and well lubed. I spray the hinges and motors with silicone after EVERY car wash and I wash my vehicle at least twice a week in the winter. I would try cleaning up the hinge and lubing it, you might find the motor is just fine, the hinge may just be so stiff the motor can't overcome the resistance. They are in fact set up to not open or close if the resistance exceeds a certain amount. This is a safety feature to avoid injury to users. I tested this with a piece of PVC pipe, board would start to deploy, hit pipe placed between board and ground, retracts. If you stand on the board, it won't retract. Stiff hinge has same effect.

I cannot see having to replace both the hinge and motor but mine is a 2500, so may be built different than yours. What the dealer is quoting is ridiculous. You can buy a complete set of boards for half that.

Canadian site, yours should be cheaper.

Power Running Board Motor Left - Mopar (68461581AA)​

Genuine OEM Mopar Parts & Accessories - 68461581aa

mopar.png

No image available

• MSRP: $630.00 CAD
  • Discount: $168.84 CAD (26.8% off)
  • Sale Price: $461.16 CAD
States Side Site.

Power Running Board Motor, Right - Mopar (68461580AA)​

2019-2024 Ram 1500 - 68461580aa

• MSRP: $464.00