Hemi tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sander666

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi,

I have a tick audible from the motor. I recently had the exhaustbolts done and and a cilinderhead replacement including rockers etc.

The tick is still there. A mechanic told me he hears it in the area from motor to transmission. He suspects the frictionplate has a crack or something (english is not my native language so i don't know if the part is named correctly).

Anyone experience with a damaged frictionplate or has an idea what else it may be?

The car drives absolutely normal but the tick was first only audible with a cold motor. Nowadays the tick is present at a warm motor as well.

Video I have a small video of the tick but don't know how to include it in this post.

VideoThanks in advance, sharing your thoughts

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hi,

I have a tick audible from the motor. I recently had the exhaustbolts done and and a cilinderhead replacement including rockers etc.

The tick is still there. A mechanic told me he hears it in the area from motor to transmission. He suspects the frictionplate has a crack or something (english is not my native language so i don't know if the part is named correctly).

Anyone experience with a damaged frictionplate or has an idea what else it may be?

The car drives absolutely normal but the tick was first only audible with a cold motor. Nowadays the tick is present at a warm motor as well.

Video I have a small video of the tick but don't know how to include it in this post.

VideoThanks in advance, sharing your thoughts
Flexplates do occassionally crack,and bolts do loosen up,but that doesn't really sound like that's your issue.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This one is a tough call, I have listening to many of these and it doesnt have they usual rasp of lifter tick. I thought the diagnose wasnt on point, but now I'd say at least there is a chance your mechanic was right. Do that stetho and see, also consider ordering a used oil anaysis from blackstone and checking the wear. If that is rotational tick it will likely show up in uoa.

I think he may be talking flex plate which is between engine and trans. Not sure about this, it sounds more top end then botton end, but hard to say without being there. Could still be exhaust tick or lifter tick, those are the two most common hemi ticks like those 2 account for 98% of hemi ticks. The problem for me believing it is flexplate is cadence, it has the cadence of lifter or exhaust stroke. Flexplates can sound almost like machinegun ticks.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles are on your truck? It sounds just as loud as my 2014 at hot idle i even replaced cam and lifters I would just use good oil and run it mine has yet to blow up very hard to get good parts anymore.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It sounds like it's in the valvetrain, use the stethoscope like suggested to locate the noise, get on a lubrication strategy and use some LubeGard biotech as a additive.

Last edited:

Ynottirbo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Someone told me to run 5W40 instead of the 0W40. Most people get the tick at startup.

Ynottirbo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe try the different oil weight and see if that helps when you do the next oil change.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
op is long gone, lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member