Hemi tick"""

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Stop using Mobil one or conventional oil. Use any other synthetic with proper high quality filter and it will stop. 5w-20 or 0w-20 don't mess with others unless you have non MDS version.

$miley

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stop using Mobil one or conventional oil. Use any other synthetic with proper high quality filter and it will stop. 5w-20 or 0w-20 don't mess with others unless you have non MDS version.

$miley

Saying stop using Mobil One convential or synthetic? Or both?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Conventional to me where it is cold is no good most wear on engine happens at startup when the oil does not flow so I avoid Dino all together here.

I have reason to believe that Mobile 1 some reason cause the 5.7L HEMI to tick and if you run it too many times like multiple oil changes it may not be reversible. I stopped using in my 05 Durango with HEMI and went to Valvoline Synthetic and used mopar filters and it did not do it anymore. I have heard some can't get it to stop after it starts.

I use only high quality filters. My two favorite are the mobil 1 extended performance ones and Bosch distance plus. The Mobil is probably better because of synthetic fibers used. The Amsoil ones are great too but cost too much to ship.

Don't use Fram if you can avoid them as they are known to suck as well.

Oil wise any synthetic is probably fine other than Mobil. I personally like Amsoil XL and Valvoline synpower and I push both to 8 or 10k with good filter.

I try to only run 0W-20 in the winter if possible since it is best protection on startup.

I am not trying to hate on Mobil 1 I just have found on my two Hemi's and wife's journey the Mobil makes it tick so I will avoid it forever now.

$miley

dodgeman2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 1500 Thunder Road Quad Cab 4x4
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had the tick in my truck when I first got it. I used lucas synthetic oil 5w20 and lucas synthetic stabilizer with a Wix 51515 oil filter. The oil filter is bigger than the normal filter you would use.
I put 6qt oil and 1qt stabilizer. there is a thread on here saying about lucas stabilizer and the hemi tick cant find it maybe someone can post it for you.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yes the stabilizer fixes it I have done that too but Mobil seems to cause it.

$miley

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea if anybody can post that it would help I'm trying to do as much research abt the tick and have some ideas abt curing it as I can

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rele sounds like its comin from my oil pan from under the truck

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have fount one identical sound on YouTube if u type in 2003 dodge ram 2500 flywheel noise? NOPE HEMI TICK! That is the same identical noise that's coming from mine and the same spot

rdlangston13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does this "HEMI Tick" happen with the truck running and is it a quick tick or is there a hesitation between ticks? I have a 2006 with the HEMI and all I have ever run since I got it with 55,000 miles on it (now has 95,000) is MOBIL 1 Full Syn and I have no clicks or anything while the engine is running however I do get a hesitated click after the truck has been shut off at operating temp.

OGsohcHondaLOVE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
rdlangston, If you are hearing a tick after you turn the truck off it is coming from the exhaust. The catalytic converters specifically. Nothing to worry about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdog57