Hemi tiks sounds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Hi Guys, here's how my hemi after driving 400 miles today.

What are those tiking sounds in the beginning of the video? Hemi tick or something else?

Thank you!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Kinda mild version of it, there are some vids where hemi's sound like diesels.

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I never heard the emitick,
weeks ago i had to load the dive boat from the winter blocks to the trailer and let the car ideling for some hours while loading the boat.
After the boat was loaded i went to do some office work anf forget the car ideling for about another half hour.
When i went to switch the engine off she was ticking, sounded like a loud injector tick.
After that the tick never came back so i guess that the heat under the hood got higher as normal and this lead to the tick.
Chris

OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Kinda mild version of it, there are some vids where hemi's sound like diesels.
Well, I guess that RedLine 5-30 isn't quieting down the hemi tick all the time, it still comes back occasionally or when engine has been working during a 4 hour drive at 80mph

It sounded the same this morning when I began warming up the truck... So the tick came back, maybe something changed in my engine. I have to drive another 600 miles to California today :)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It has a 20% failure to get the tick rate, consider yourself in that category. I also included a video in the Syn thread as another source of tick not lifter or exhaust bolt related, that no oil can prevent. Interesting watch, pay attention to the second example he had. We know your engine was ****** at birth, it sucks ass but if I was you I might bite the bullet and trade it in before warranty is out in oct. Or go back to PUP and make that tick louder and fight with the dealership. That is a real problem with running redline, it may quiet something you want to get warranty work on, lol. Also, it is a very mild tick, it is possible that truck with last, but I do believe it is a higher risk engine with the histology. I wouldn't F with additives at this point neither, you already got the good stuff there, but that is your call.

As always, thanks for the honest update.

CanadianNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I highly doubt going to PUP will make the tick louder

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It has a 20% failure to get the tick rate, consider yourself in that category. I also included a video in the Syn thread as another source of tick not lifter or exhaust bolt related, that no oil can prevent. Interesting watch, pay attention to the second example he had. We know your engine was ****** at birth, it sucks ass but if I was you I might bite the bullet and trade it in before warranty is out in oct. Or go back to PUP and make that tick louder and fight with the dealership. That is a real problem with running redline, it may quiet something you want to get warranty work on, lol. Also, it is a very mild tick, it is possible that truck with last, but I do believe it is a higher risk engine with the histology. I wouldn't F with additives at this point neither, you already got the good stuff there, but that is your call.

As always, thanks for the honest update.
i wish i could find stuff in that thread but thanks to SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much bickering back and forth a AMAZING thread has turned into a how many page novel now?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Some might call that bickering back and forth, but if you actually were paying attention it is two people that personally attack folks out of the blue and mods who let it happen and then the obligatory response, of which I do not apologize. Anyhow PM Syn I'm sure he will answer your question and is as neutral as you can get.

I will try and pay attention to my ignore function more, but there is no stopping those two period. One is an oil dealer and the group talk we had last night concludes likely they both are. They make a living from not picking apart oil formulation. They do ad hominem attacks in order to keep people from learning the truth about oil. The very fact you don't pay attention shows that strategy worked.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Yes... It did
I highly doubt going to PUP will make the tick louder
Yes It was soooo noisy when dealer put in pennzoil conventional oil few weeks ago...

I'll look into options on what I'll be doing...

CanadianNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Yes... It did

Yes It was soooo noisy when dealer put in pennzoil conventional oil few weeks ago...

I'll look into options on what I'll be doing...
He said PUP, which I assume he meant Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Synthetic not conventional.

But if you say it does then I’ll take your word for it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My bad my bad, I thought he said PUP previously. It is not a knock on an oil, it has to do with density of molecules. Many guys who ran PUP and Redline in Syn thread say the same thing, even thicker weight PUP then the Redline. The GtL Pennzoil's are great oil products, they also have been reported most of the time as louder, not always (my wife's car smooth on 5w30 PUP then 5w20 redline), but in large numbers. Not only against redline, but other oils as well.

CanadianNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
My bad my bad, I thought he said PUP previously. It is not a knock on an oil, it has to do with density of molecules. Many guys who ran PUP and Redline in Syn thread say the same thing, even thicker weight PUP then the Redline. The GtL Pennzoil's are great oil products, they also have been reported most of the time as louder, not always (my wife's car smooth on 5w30 PUP then 5w20 redline), but in large numbers. Not only against redline, but other oils as well.

Same here wasn’t trying to knock redline or anything like that. I just find it a little surprising that switching from redline to PUP would make it that much louder. I would understand if it was a change to like a Walmart oil or something like that.
I only made my comment because I have recently changed to PUP and I also have a small tick that got quieter when switching to PUP. However I don’t think mine is a hemi tick as I have the 4.7L
I can’t speak on redline personally as I have never tried it in my truck as it is hard to find here in Canada. Seems like my only option is to buy it online and even there it is quite pricy.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Guys, here's how my hemi after driving 400 miles today.

What are those tiking sounds in the beginning of the video? Hemi tick or something else?

Thank you!
Dude I think think your fine... mine sounds like this...

do u have any mods? I have Lt headers a custom hook(which has vents and scoops and a leveling kit that together. allows the Noise to be more pronounced .... i took. A stethoscope to the engine and found the noise to be definitely coming from the injectors .... brought to dealer took a tech on a ride and he looked at the engine and said it’s nothing he’d personally worry about and it’s normal engine noise exaggerated by the headers and leveling of the truck (allowing more noise to escape the engine bay)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I meant conventional... Not pennzoil synthetic.

I may just continue to use RedLine and see how the future plans out....

It looks like worst case I'll have to do cam and lifters and pay for it by myself, which is about $4k... Not end of the world.

OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Boy they are making good deals on new ones right now. ;)
I honestly really really don't want to be making truck payments anymore. It's just not worth it for me to pay $500/month. All I want is for truck to be reliable and drive, it doesn't need to be fancy or anything... But unfortunately my luck isn't that great in this part of my life lol which is fine.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I like your attitude Kap.

Take it as it comes.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well, I guess that RedLine 5-30 isn't quieting down the hemi tick all the time, it still comes back occasionally or when engine has been working during a 4 hour drive at 80mph

It sounded the same this morning when I began warming up the truck... So the tick came back, maybe something changed in my engine. I have to drive another 600 miles to California today :)

Another school of thought. The hemi tick has been around since 2003 when it was introduced. I personally know a few guys whose ticking engines went well over 200000 noisey miles. The hemi tick, imho, is not synonymous with failure. If you want to play it safe go for a Chrysler extended warranty before your warranty runs out.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ticking is certainly a warning sign of premature engine failure, whether or not you hit the lotto and get lucky to not have a failure, it might be something you address some kind of way. Many examples of guys and ticks having catastrophic failure pre 100k miles, Kap being one of them, lol.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I still am not sold or completely sure how the tick sounds different from valve train noise and injector noise ....... I took a stethoscope to my injectors and my valve cover... noise def comes from injectors. But then again I have no definitive experience in differentiating the hemi tick from my trucks engine noise since I had headers installed . I do know it’s not a gasket. I know that noise %100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk