Here's a Stupid Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, I saw that site. What I gleaned was that you should turn it off if you are stuck in snow, mud, or sand because sometimes you want to spin a bit to get down to harder surface.
You JUST answered your Question that U posted. The other reason to turn off u wanna go play somewhere like spinning around in a parking lot and such kinda known as drifting ie,, turn off when U wanna play.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Yes, I saw that site. What I gleaned was that you should turn it off if you are stuck in snow, mud, or sand because sometimes you want to spin a bit to get down to harder surface.

That's it. There's no reason to turn it off otherwise. If you ever need it, you won't have time to turn it on.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You JUST answered your Question that U posted. The other reason to turn off u wanna go play somewhere like spinning around in a parking lot and such kinda known as drifting ie,, turn off when U wanna play.
Yeah, I gave that stuff up when it dawned on me that I was the one responsible for buying my own tires and fixing my own car.

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I gave that stuff when it dawned on me that I was the one responsible for buying my own tires and fixing my own car.

That's why it's fun to disable the ESC when we receive a foot of snow. :cool:

I've never been interested in destroying my tires on dry roads. Of course, I've always paid for my own tires.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wha makes sense to me is your limited slip differential will normally try to keep both wheels spinning together except in corners. If it’s successful at that there’s nothing for your ETC to do and it shouldn't kick in. If your LSD gets weak or for any reason can’t keep both wheels churning at the same rate then the ETC will kick in from feedback from the wheel sensors and try to correct that. I may be over simplifying this.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Owner manual has a lot of information on towing and the operation of your vehicle you can download a detailed digital copy or order a printed copy to be mailed to you.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Owner manual has a lot of information on towing and the operation of your vehicle you can download a detailed digital copy or order a printed copy to be mailed to you.
Thanks, I've been towing for 40 years and am quite proficient at it. I only wanted to know about the Traction Control. And I have both the printed and digital copies of my manual. Nothing in there about towing I don't already know, and honestly some of that info is incorrect.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Always remember, There is no such thing as a "stupid question" none of us know everything !
Thank you, but we know that there are stupid questions. I was erring on the side of caution. :cool:

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you jacked up one wheel, and tried to turn it by hand, with TC on and off , you should see a difference, Mind you I have not tried it with my newer trucks. You could also get a locking rear end at one time, but never had one.

If you got stuck in the mud, or snow ice up here, then the difference would show up, but I don't remember the last time I got stuck. I don't have a tractor anymore , and try to stay away from shovels , so turned into a wimp.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you jacked up one wheel, and tried to turn it by hand, with TC on and off , you should see a difference, Mind you I have not tried it with my newer trucks. You could also get a locking rear end at one time, but never had one.

If you got stuck in the mud, or snow ice up here, then the difference would show up, but I don't remember the last time I got stuck. I don't have a tractor anymore , and try to stay away from shovels , so turned into a wimp.
Yeah, my last two trucks were 4x4, but in the 35 years I owned both of them I think I really had to use 4x4 maybe a dozen times - the other 300 times was just because I could. And I hunt and fish off road, a lot. That's why I got a 4x2 this time. That, and they wanted $4600 just to add it. Even the salesman didn't believe me when I told him it cost that much. He had to go ask the sales manager, then he said, "I thought it was like maybe $2500, but I wouldn't pay $4600 for 4x4 either." It told him that if it had been only $2500 extra I would have gone for it.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
My first ever 4x4 was my 1 yr old 2010 Laramie, I am in the city since 2012 and most of the time I am in 4wd auto because of ice on the streets, Highway is mainly always clear
If the street is a main road or bus road, it may get cleared, sides streets, maybe, I never seen a grader for the first 3 yrs here.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My first ever 4x4 was my 1 yr old 2010 Laramie, I am in the city since 2012 and most of the time I am in 4wd auto because of ice on the streets, Highway is mainly always clear
If the street is a main road or bus road, it may get cleared, sides streets, maybe, I never seen a grader for the first 3 yrs here.
Mine was a 1987 Ford Ranger. Never had a lick of trouble with that truck in the 12+ years I owned it, other than replacing a U-joint ($50), and the tie rods (~$100). Oh, and the last summer I had it a retaining clip broke and my A/C line fell against my manifold and melted. Had a new hose made and the system recharged.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Thanks, I've been towing for 40 years and am quite proficient at it. I only wanted to know about the Traction Control. And I have both the printed and digital copies of my manual. Nothing in there about towing I don't already know, and honestly some of that info is incorrect.
I have had several copies myself all for the same year the one that is available through the link I provided is more detailed than past examples.. I apologize for the patronizing tone of my original post.
I believe it’s questions like your’s and other owner that prompted “Stellantis” to revise even past owners manuals.
Just as “service” repair manuals are updated from time to time I think it might be worth your effort to sign up for a Mopar account just to see if anything has changed. Or prove me wrong .

What really interested me was it goes into detail’s about every option offered for my truck’s year of production it has 20 pages of index and over 800 pages of information.

Last edited:

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
( For Example) I did not know that on certain vehicles there is possibility different ESC “modes” that can be toggled through
For example to give partial ESC when driving through ice, snow, and or, sand … never tried to toggle the switch when I’m in 4LOW.. I just thought that the ESC was a precondition to operate in 4LOW..