Hesitation problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yummins24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L 360
So yesterday me and my dad replaced the MAP sensor, the TPS, and the IAC in hopes that it would solve our problem with my truck starting to stall when at idle... it solved that problem but a new problem arose and that is that when we took the truck out for a test run we noticed that the truck was hesitating to shift and almost dying when I wasn't on the gas... when it did finally shift after stepping the peddle to the ground it was almost a real rough shift and kicked into the next gear. After driving for about 15 minutes the problem goes away and the truck rides perfect. It is an automatic transmission. I would really appreciate your guys thoughts and ideas of what might be wrong. Thanks

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
Sounds like a vac leak to me, too much air not enough gas. I'd look into your lines, take a can of fuel inject cleaner and spray around the seals and hard lines. Just be careful around your exhaust, **** is very flammable.

OP
OP
Y

Yummins24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L 360
we found out it was doing this just bc the computer had to adjust to the new parts. it runs fine now

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
did you unhook the battery after you change all that stuff. When ever you do anything like that you should disconnect the battery for 5 mins to reset the computer.

OP
OP
Y

Yummins24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L 360
No we didnt disconnect the battery cable... we rode around town for a little and the truck went back to normal. Next time i will keep that in mind though thanks

NightThief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 01 ram 1500 which hesitates to shift as well. not so much when its cold but ive not replaced any of the MAP sensor, the TPS, and the IAC like you did. It just hesitates to shift for no reason that im aware of. If i replace those do you think that would help or what should i do? Any help is greatly appreciated thanks. i also have the 5.9L

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes - I'm late on this but I've also learned that the best way to reset everything after changing sensors is to take a good long ride on the highway. I've tried the battery disconnect on my '97 and even "closing the loop" by holding the positive & negative cables together but no luck on that. Could have been the year/ODBC technology of the era.