HID's shut off while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Hi guys, need some advice. I have a set of tyc projectors in my 2015 RCSB that JJ did a couple months ago. They worked fine until I was driving home last night. I was making a right and had my signal on. Made the turn, the signal kicked off after I straightened out but the headlights shut off and would not come back on. Pulled over. Shut off the truck and started it back up with no resolve. The LED turn/driving lights still turn on. Fogs come on. I can even turn on the high beams (halogen, not the bi-xenon).

Once I got it home I poked around with the wiring. Got power at the OEM harness at the drivers side. Could not get power at the input for the ballast. I contacted JJ because his customer service is amazing. He offered some suggestions but he too was stumped.

Since the OEM headlight plug has power but the wire leading to the ballast does not, there should be something wrong with the relay right? If I lost a ground connection, would that cause a zero voltage reading on the wire to the ballast?

I was looking for a headlight fuse but couldn't find one, that was before I tested the plug. I ran a new power wire for my amplifiers on Monday. Lights were fine on Tuesday.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jeffdawgfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you running 35watt or 55 watt HID? Are you using a relay to provide power from batter or using factory wiring. Would be odd to blow both relays at same time.

OP
OP
adurm

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
They are 55 watt morimoto ballasts wired to the 13+ ram spec relay harness with paired resistors on each side.

So you are saying the relay cube has a relay for each side? If that is the case, then I certainly agree that blowing each is strange. That would lead me to one of my grounds failing.

OP
OP
adurm

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I have not checked the fuse on the relay, I forgot there was one on there. I have not checked the bulb. I wouldn't expect both bulbs to fail simultaneously. But at this point, anything is still an option.

I am fairly certain the problem lies somewhere along the path of the relay. So if it turns out to be the fuse, why would it have popped will be the next issue.

Thanks guys!

OP
OP
adurm

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Fuse from the battery to the relay cube is fine. I was really hoping it was blown. I think that leaves the cube itself being bad or a ground wire came loose.

jeffdawgfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
normally one relay that senses a signal from one of your original bulb plugs although on my last truck I had two relays on a set from DD. The second one was hooked up to wiring but really did nothing....harness just came that way. IF both your bulbs are out then is not a bulb issue. Would be odd to blow both the power supplies also. I would point a finger at the relay as the culprit as long as you have good power and ground. Also check the connection where the relay is getting its signal (probably you used the original left headlight plug).

OP
OP
adurm

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
The truck has power to the OEM plug on the driver's side and that's where the relay is getting a signal. The main relay ground is solid as is the capacitor ground. There are 2 that I couldn't get to last night to check and that's on either side, I think ballast ground. The more I think about it, the more I feel that I would have to lose both ballast grounds to lose both headlights.

One of the things throwing me off is no power reaching the ballast. Making me crazy that I cant work on it for a couple more hours. Keep the ideas coming please.

OP
OP
adurm

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Found the resistor pack between the drivers side headlight and relay harness to be cold when the 3 other packs (2 per side) were all warm/hot. Pulled the cold one off and the lights work. No light out on the dash. Not sure what to make of it.

madrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My passenger side headlight used to shut off from time to time. It turned out to be an issue with the relay cube itself. I eventually replaced it but as a quick fix I'd have to unplug it and wiggle it around. I have the Morimoto setup too.

OP
OP
adurm

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Hopefully my situation just turns out to be a bad resistor pack and not a sign of a more serious problem. JJ at Retroshop is sending me out a new resistor pack and hopefully that one will work out. Once I removed the cold resistor pack, everything came on. There was a delay turning the headlights off. I'm trying not to drive at night til I get the fix, but of course we get a tropical storm in January.