High Beams Not Working in Auto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

voisin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Limited

When the light dial is in Auto mode, the high beams cannot be activated by pushing the wiper lever forward but can be temporarily activated by pulling that lever backward toward the driver. The high beams do not automatically activate in the dark of light with no street lights or oncoming traffic.

When putting the light dial in other modes, pushing the lever forward activates the high beams.

From the above, I conclude that there is nothing wrong with the lever or the high beams.

Would you conclude that there is something wrong with the light sensor on the dash or is there something else that could be wrong? Any ideas on what I could do to fix it?

OP
OP
V

voisin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Do they work in manual mode
Yes, in either of the middle two modes on the light dial, they work when pushing the lever forward (stay on permanently) or when pulling the lever backward (flashing them). The only time they don't seem to work is in the Auto mode. Driving in a rural area at night with no street lights, they do not activate automatically and pushing the lever forward has no effect whatsoever. But if I pull the lever backward they do flash. So the only way to get them to come on and stay on is to move out of auto mode. This is new behaviour. For the last two years I've left the dial in auto mode, and just pushed the lever forward at night if I wanted the high beams to turn on and stay on (unless an oncoming car caused them to turn off temporarily).

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Have you gone into the Settings on the radio and under lighting turn off automatic highbeams. Try it. Then turn it back on and see if it works correctly. They work fine on my 2018 but only activate over about 15mph.

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The sensor is at the box where your rearview mirror connects to the windshield. When I first got my truck I put an e-pass for toll booths magically right in front of the sensor and my auto high beams didnt work. As soon as I took off the e-pass and moved it towards the passenger side, the auto high beams work.
If you feel around on the plastic housing where the mirror connects to the windshield, you should feel a hole which is where the camera/sensor is

jvanschaijik

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hi voisin, did you find a solution for this problem? I have a 2021 model 1500 and a similar problem. The high beam works only if I pull the lever back and hold it. No way to turn them on the normal way.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Hi voisin, did you find a solution for this problem? I have a 2021 model 1500 and a similar problem. The high beam works only if I pull the lever back and hold it. No way to turn them on the normal way.

Did you go into settings for lighting and turn off (uncheck box) for Automatic highbeams?