High beams shutting off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevin M Hughes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone had an issue with the highbeams not staying on? My 2013 sport highbeams shut off after about 20 sec. (give or take) I have done some research and thought maybe it was the auto switch, on coming lights etc. I have not been able to find an issue. I went into the settings (on the info system) and there is only settings for lights on with wipers and the two delays for unlock etc. I have pulled the lever switch on the steering column and cleaned it with same results. Any ideas? I have tried it with the fog lights on and off same issue. I have tried it with switch on auto and manual, same issue. hitting a wall here.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I am no help but following !

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Are the halogens bulbs

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
1990 5.9L 12v Cummins W250

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Does this problem occur when you push the high beam stalk forward? Or just when you are pulling it back?

When you pull the high beam stalk towards you, this is what i call a passing light. we use them on motorcycles when passing cars. Just give it a few quick taps to let the cars know you are passing.

I noticed in my old truck, that if i just held onto that. Eventually the high beams would just shut off, after about 20 seconds like you mentioned.

But if i push the stalk away, it clicks into place, to constantly keep them on.

OP
OP
K

Kevin M Hughes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@LeesEcox: I have to have the stalk forward and then pull it back toward driver to get the high beams to come on. Then, as i stated they stay on for a matter of 20 sec or so and cut off. I can push the stalk back toward dash all the way and then pull it back toward driver and they will come on again only to cut off, once again after the 20 or so seconds.

OP
OP
K

Kevin M Hughes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So maybe what my issue is that I'm not getting signal to the high beams when i push the stalk all the way forward which is what/when they should be activated. I just realized by rereading LeesEvox post that I do not have high beams when the switch is pushed all the way to the dash. With that being said, any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting? I feel ridiculous just realizing this now. I had the issue previously with water build up in the housing (especially passenger side). I have the marker strip out (running lights only, blinker still works on passenger side) on passenger side. I'm not sure if this may have caused a relay to go bad or possibly a fuse. Will have to check that when I get off of work.

Matt Franklin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Without having looked at the wiring diagrams, it would seem to me that if the high beams come on when you pull the stalk toward you, everything is working form a relay/fuse/bulb perspective. That would lead me to suspect the switch is bad. I'd imagine you could unplug the switch and check the continuity in low beam position and high beam position on the appropriate pins at the switch connector. Sorry I'm no help on what the appropriate pins would be.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
You’re doing it wrong. You shouldn’t be pulling them back towards the dash, you should be pushing them forward. What trim is your truck? You probably have auto high beams, and when you’re “activating” them, they’re not coming on right away because conditions are not met, and you’re getting impatient and pulling the stalk back towards you and activating the signaling lights, which only stay on for 20 seconds or so. When you push the stalk forward, do you get a message on the dash that says “auto high beams enabled?”

OP
OP
K

Kevin M Hughes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the 2013 sport trim 2wd quad cab. I have checked all the fuses and relays etc. It is the lever switch. I will pull it and clean the contacts on the board to see if that helps if not I believe I will have to pay out for the new lever switch. I guess sometimes it helps to just put it down in writing so others can point out how silly and ignorant you are being lol. I appreciate all of the replys on this guys. And you are right IRSmart, for some reason, I have been doing it so long that the reality of how the switch is supposed to work left my reasoning. I don't believe i have the "smart" lights on my load out (bought the truck used in 2015) because I don't have the options on the settings on radio display for anything related to that. Just for the sake of being a completionist, I will post the final results (whether the points on the switch cleaned or new lever switch) fixes the problem.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I believe that the signal light, windshield wiper controls & the high/low/flash headlight switch is called the Multifunction Switch

OP
OP
K

Kevin M Hughes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just because I said I would here is the results. So the lever switch is bad. I pulled it out of the column (very simple) and took it apart. The contacts are wore. Cleaned them up and adjusted the little contacts that slide. It worked for a couple of days and then stopped. I noticed the copper/gold colored contact on the computer board had worn off on the area where the high beam would be activated. I will be replacing with a new lever switch. thanks for those of you who responded. I really appreciate it.