High mileage service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin1996

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
So I just bought a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 with about 180K. Now I’m coming from an Altima but before I drove a ‘14 tundra and a ‘12 f150 so this will be my first older vehicle with high mileage. I have a few questions. Keep in mind this was a 1 owner truck who kept up with all the servicing (I’m assuming because everything looks really good under the hood) but unfortunately I bought it from an auction who had no service records other than the carfax records.
1. I was always told to flush ALL fluids when you bought an older vehicle with high miles. Everything looks good on this truck, trans fluid is red/maybe a little dark red, coolant, brake fluid, etc all looks good. I don’t want to mess anything up, and I know a shop will tell me to do it for the sake of paying them.
2. Types of Oil. Is it truly worth putting in high mileage synthetic? Or just what the manual calls for?
I have an apt with a local shop to do a few things. Engine tune up, oil change, trans fluid, brake fluid and coolant flush, and I have a check engine code p0440 that they are going to take a look at (I suspect a hose or a LDP).
Other than the code diagnostics and probably the oil change, is the rest worth it? Could I damage the trans by flushing the fluid? Sorry for the dumb questions

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
1. Never a bad idea except for the trans. If you don't know if it was regularly flushed before, you don't wanna start now. Pan drop, replace filters, fill with fresh.
2. Doesn't have to be high mileage, but a quality synthetic is almost a necessity with the 3.7/4.7 family. Cuts down on the sludge those engines are known for building up, especially with dino oil.
Only dumb question (well, most of the time) is the one not asked. Make sure your cooling system is up to par. Too little heat builds up condensation that leads to sludge build up if not burned off regularly. Too much heat (bad enough overheat) and 4.7's are known for doing nasty things like warping heads and dropping seats. Curiosity question, do you know if it's the original engine?

OP
OP
J

Justin1996

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I actually just did an extensive carfax search and it shows every service the owner did. (45 records) didn’t see anything about any replacements other than a few sensors here and there. Now for the fluids all it says is “fluid check” every time it got serviced. I think I’ll go ahead and do it just because of the mileage.
1. Never a bad idea except for the trans. If you don't know if it was regularly flushed before, you don't wanna start now. Pan drop, replace filters, fill with fresh.
2. Doesn't have to be high mileage, but a quality synthetic is almost a necessity with the 3.7/4.7 family. Cuts down on the sludge those engines are known for building up, especially with dino oil.
Only dumb question (well, most of the time) is the one not asked. Make sure your cooling system is up to par. Too little heat builds up condensation that leads to sludge build up if not burned off regularly. Too much heat (bad enough overheat) and 4.7's are known for doing nasty things like warping heads and dropping seats. Curiosity question, do you know if it's the original engine?

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Axle(s) and transfercase (if applicable) too.

PGFREE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agree with others.
Flush-Chg the Coolant and Especially the Axle/Transf Oil.