High speed vibrations, normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are vibrations coming from seat and floor and the interior while traveling at 60 mph and above. You can feel it in your legs and body and it is Not coming from the steering wheel.

I wouldn't say the vibrations are extreme but they are definitely irritating while driving for several hours continuously. And I wonder if they are normal for this vehicle, comparing with others I don't feel the same vibrations. Comparing with smaller cars.

Recent maintenence and repair job includes new rear drive shafts and all wheel bearings, and new wheels. Wheels and rims are properly balanced.

Is it realistic for the propeller shaft to become unbalanced?

Maybe it's an illusion but it seems like the vibrations decreases when heavy accelerating above 60 mph and when turning either left or right when in those high speeds. And under 60 mph it's likely that the vibrations do exist, you just don't feel them as significantly.

Many thanks if anyone has any suggestions as to what could cause the vibrations, except wheels and rear drive shafts.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
There are vibrations coming from seat and floor and the interior while traveling at 60 mph and above. You can feel it in your legs and body and it is Not coming from the steering wheel.

I wouldn't say the vibrations are extreme but they are definitely irritating while driving for several hours continuously. And I wonder if they are normal for this vehicle, comparing with others I don't feel the same vibrations. Comparing with smaller cars.

Recent maintenence and repair job includes new rear drive shafts and all wheel bearings, and new wheels. Wheels and rims are properly balanced.

Is it realistic for the propeller shaft to become unbalanced?

Maybe it's an illusion but it seems like the vibrations decreases when heavy accelerating above 60 mph and when turning either left or right when in those high speeds. And under 60 mph it's likely that the vibrations do exist, you just don't feel them as significantly.

Many thanks if anyone has any suggestions as to what could cause the vibrations, except wheels and rear drive shafts.
Vibrations can happen for many reasons .... with that said, what kind of tires do you have?

I always hear or read it, the wheels and rims are properly balanced lol .. how much weight is in your front wheels? Wheels in the front shouldn't have more than 3 oz. and if they do the vibrations are to be expected especially at 60 or more mph

Also the vibrations decreasing above 60 mph is not an illusion .... I just had my wheels balanced because I was getting a very slight vibration coming through the body but not the steering wheel, it would only lurk around between 70-80 mph but anything less or more it would vibrate ...

Take a look at your front wheels seriously, if you see more than 3 oz. of weights that is the source of your vibrations ..

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I've seen a lot of out-of-round tires come out of a shop "balanced". Check tire runout and runout of those wheels, new or not.
Exactly why I just said check the amount of weight those front wheels have .... more than 3 oz. of weight will usually indicate out of round, separation and cupping ... or the tech didn't do enough to properly balance those wheels which seems to be the most common reason nowadays when people mention vibrations in their trucks ...

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Driveshaft out of balance?
Sounds excatly like what my 2014 did until they added weights to it.

OP
OP
M

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, tires wasnt the problem. No idea yet what is but I know there is a lot of spinning parts that can make the vibrations, but it seems difficult to locate the vibrations without taking every driveshaft and cardan apart and testing. Also the engine and gearbox could likely be making the vibrations? So I dont know, just getting used to the vibrations or do something more about it. During winter, on icy roads, you dont feel the vibrations as much, cause of the roads, but summertime crusing on the highways you feel them.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did the vibration start happening after all the work that was done to the truck or before the work? Information on the truck might help too. Year model mileage?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Bad carrier bearing ? If you just keep driving , sooner or later it should turn into a bigger problem that is easily found .

OP
OP
M

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I've considered the carrier bearing as well, seems to be in good shape though.

It's a ram 1500 quad cab, year 08, 70k miles.

When I bought the truck there was a lot of problems that I now have fixed. Driveshafts, brake discs, wheel bearings. All those things made noised and vibrations when they were bad, now when they're fixed those noise and heavy vibrations are gone, except the low vibrations when cruising on highways which this tread is about.

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Have you tried rotating the tires and see if the vibrations move or go away?
This would help narrow down a tire/balance issue

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Just because a component has been balanced doesn’t mean it’s correct, or that it’s balanced correctly for all speeds. I have thrown away new tires because they wouldn’t run smoothly despite multiple attempts. Ditto for brand new wheels in one case.

You need a good shop that will work with you to analyze the vibrations and chase them down. Can’t be done through a screen and a keyboard. There are instruments that can determine the frequency which in turn is indicative of whether it’s related to engine speed, driveshaft speed, or tire speed.

A shop which builds custom driveshafts can spin yours and test/correct the balance.

There are various balancing tools and techniques for tire and wheels that each have some advantages and disadvantages. Road Force machines by Hunter can be quite effective, but are used incorrectly by most shops. It’s time consuming to do the whole process so they take shortcuts. That machine should be used on the bare wheel before a tire is even mounted to get the best result.

In problem vehicles I’ve had good outcomes with the old school balancers that mount to the wheel and spin it on the vehicle. It’s hard to even find a shop doing that anymore.

PS was the truck ever wrecked? Sounds like you purchased it used, but any mechanic worth his salt can inspect a vehicle and identify collision damage repair.

REDinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew
Engine
5.7 2wd 3.92
Yes I've considered the carrier bearing as well, seems to be in good shape though.

It's a ram 1500 quad cab, year 08, 70k miles.

When I bought the truck there was a lot of problems that I now have fixed. Driveshafts, brake discs, wheel bearings. All those things made noised and vibrations when they were bad, now when they're fixed those noise and heavy vibrations are gone, except the low vibrations when cruising on highways which this tread is about.
how long has it been since you've had the truck's alignment checked?

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
HOW are they balancing the tires? I only have mine road force balanced. We have 2 shops in our area that can do it, but I had a set of tires that one shop never could get right. They kept telling me it was the tires (because I didn't buy from them). When I had it road force balanced, the vibrations went away. The shop asked me the speed where I noticed the problems the most and RF balanced at that speed.

Might be worth looking at.

OP
OP
M

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tires has been rotated, alignment hasnt been done.
No collision, the truck is in a good overall condition