Hitch Danger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Nothing is allowed pass the bumper. (Including a hitch ball). unless it is flagged
Quote. Byway traffic act
shall not be obscured or obstructed by spare tires, bumper bars, any part of the vehicle, any attachments
Ask any opp. Drawbar is not an attachment. It's concidered part of the bumper. We have opp in our defensive driving courses occasionally, and one trainer is an retired opp officer. This has been brought up many times. You can't legally be charged.
More if it's an attachment mounted in the reciever such as one of the bike racks, a cargo tray, or anything yes, they are an attachment. The drawbar is part of the hitch. Perfect example is the hitch for many European cars, it mounts to frame and comes up around the bumper, you add the ball size of choice.
Also, the reciever on many vehicles sticks out past the bumper, jeeps are a perfect example of this especially the older ones, not even taking into account the spare tire.
The only reason I'm Ontario, you can be find for the hitch in while not towing is if it obstructs view of the licence plate at all.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
d7a40a2762cba43587c67f0023d44f41.jpgd379055401c912a2895a23238bed0cdc.jpg

Last edited:

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
It's much safer to pull up and back into a space. You see vehicles in both lanes as you pull up to back in. Pull in and then you have a harder time seeing vehicles as you back out.

old manS RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I live in a retirement community. My parking spot is pull in (so security can see the permit sticker in the rear window). It is a fact that older drivers tend to hug the right side of the street. So, they might get close to the hitch especially at night. My hitch is normally off but when it on, and not pulling, I put a can with red reflective tape on. The grease on the ball keeps the can in place going down the road. So far so good.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are many things that annoy all of us. One of mine are the people that park, get out, and hit the FOB setting off the horn. The horn function can be turned off on all vehicles now. Its BS to be in a parking lot with multiple horns honking. Another major annoyance are those who pump gas and walk away. In the store buying treats, peeing, and BS'ing for 15 minutes while people are waiting for pumps. I have other complaints but I hope you get the point.
I hate the horn honkers too. A few weeks ago I was sitting in my vehicle waiting for my wife who was grocery shopping. Some guy parked next to me and had to see me because I had my window down listening to the radio. He walks past the front of my vehicle and probably walked 10 yards or so and reached back with is key fob and his horn honked twice. as it would have it my wife is a slow shopper and I watched the guy walk out of the store and when he was directly in front of my I honked my horn and scared the crap out of him. He glared at me and I shrugged my shoulders and went oops lol. I decided from know on I am going to do that if I get another chance. my lights flash when I lock my vehicle I don't need the horn to honk.

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just open and leave tailgate down when parked and hitch is in the receiver..

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Gary Fields

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Few year back I had left a received hitch in and got rear ended. Damaged my bumper and tailgate. Vehicle that hit me was an older Jeep Cherokee. The hitch ball broke the water pump housing on it. Went through the grill, radiator, condenser, fan and stopped at water pump.

fireflymedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I really like baking in now my vehicles have back up cameras allows to get right at the line. Also drive a 1 ton brush truck at fire department that we have a step put in hitch receiver that stays on permanently don't expect a ticket on a fire truck lol

RWlRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
1994 4X4 - Replaced 12-31-17 with '04 1500 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi.....wow what a difference 10 years makes.....
I prefer to run with my hitch installed. Helps protect the rear of the truck when a texting prius owner hits me.

But this is what happens when a F*&K$n Prius does run into you and despite the fact the truck runs perfectly otherwise, they total the truck....

Accident%20C-11-30-17.jpg

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I confess I leave mine in all the time partly because I use the hitch ball as a step.
I do think it's rude to back in too close and your hitch is hanging over a sidewalk. Otherwise people should pay the hell attention.

I was rearended in my Dakota with the hitch in. Small sedan was trashed, I barely felt the impact. Totally their fault but I felt bad for them.

As for the horn honking on lock, it's disabled in my Ram but not all vehicles are that easy to disable it! Still trying to figure out how to make our beetle quit beeping its really annoying.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My horn honk is off, but it's so common it's become white noise to me. I've been guilty of leaving my hitch in, but after a couple good @#*# from running into it with my knee I pull it out. Even so it matters not be to me if somebody leaves theirs in. I'm also good about letting people back out without crowding them and I hang back if somebody signals to park so they can pull in whichever way they want. I have my preference, but sometimes I change it up for convenience of loading whatever I'm at the store for.

Amazonica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Not trying to change anyone's mind here. I've worked at refineries, Gas Plants, etc. and they "require" you to back into the parking spot regardless of size of vehicle. Some of us get used to it and find it easier. Others have to wait while I'm in motion whether backing in, or backing out of a spot.

As for the Hitch Ball and mount, I live in a 22 ft RV and travel fulltime. Bed of truck is full (generator, tools, etc). Don't have a sticks-and-bricks garage to put my WDH in. Just leave it in the dirt beside the trailer? No thanks, it's staying put locked into the receiver, like it or not.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Yes same in Ontario. I dind more research. I only know the hyway traffic accident. Bit in the courts a man that rear ended a truck with a hitch sued the guy he rear ended that his hitch did more damage to his vehicle that if he just hit the bumper. And he won. The court stated agreed if he only rear ended the truck with out a hitch and he he was able to recovery a undisclosed about from the truck owner

Sounds like when the burglar sued, and the insurance paid out, when he fell through the skylight and broke his back. That happened to my wife's aunt. He was claiming "on the job injuries". Same fella decided to then file for workman's comp since he had been designated a career criminal. He pissed off someone and the IRS took the insurance settlement and workman's comp money as a fine for not filing taxes for 10+ years on monies made during his "job".

Yukonbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Yes same in Ontario. I dind more research. I only know the hyway traffic accident. Bit in the courts a man that rear ended a truck with a hitch sued the guy he rear ended that his hitch did more damage to his vehicle that if he just hit the bumper. And he won. The court stated agreed if he only rear ended the truck with out a hitch and he he was able to recovery a undisclosed about from the truck owner
Communist way of ruling. Snowflakes find any reason not to take responsibility for their own actions.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have to take mine out of the receiver, or I can't get the truck into the garage and close the door.

Yukonbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Well I will be getting my new to me 3500 dualy this week and well I hope not to take it to the mall. But I will
Be that guy in the boonies. Backed in
Congratulations. I call my 3500 the Granite Beast. That 8’ bed with Dully makes navigation in tight spots a little tricky, but a breeze backing in. I opt to park in the further away places and take up two spaces—further adding more for the “haters” in the world to complain about more. Plus health benefits walking the extra distance all adds up —physical and mental health: better shape physically and peace of mind knowing you didn’t create anyone undo pain. Lol

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
What? You either have to wait when I back in or wait when I back out. And you'll probably wait longer on me backing out since I take it slow in case someone comes flying down the aisle. And I don't really care if I'm hurting people's feelings by doing something the way I like it.
I always back into a parking space, have for many, many years. The vehicle literally will pivot on the rear wheels making getting into tight spots sooooo much easier.
The one thing I find entertaining is waiting for the bozo that does not have awareness of what vehicles around them are doing, and pull up tight behind me as I am maneuvering to back into a space. If they were in a hurry they are now being slowed down even more while I wait for them to back off my rear bumper and continue to back into the parking space.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah, scared up shins for this old camper.... I try to keep a bucket or milk crate over it when parked at the camp site. Seems I forget once in a while....
I DO NOT leave the Hitch in the receiver when not towing or camping.... at least I learned something.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Both 2012
Engine
Hemi 5.7 & Cummins 6.7
I hate back in parkers. Youre not cool, you're not a super hero and not a get away driver.

This just made me realize how worse it is with a truck.
Sometimes it's way easier to park your truck in between two other stupid ppl if you baxk in, just saying

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Sounds like when the burglar sued, and the insurance paid out, when he fell through the skylight and broke his back. That happened to my wife's aunt. He was claiming "on the job injuries". Same fella decided to then file for workman's comp since he had been designated a career criminal. He pissed off someone and the IRS took the insurance settlement and workman's comp money as a fine for not filing taxes for 10+ years on monies made during his "job".
Went to a bowling tournament yesterday with another guy who was telling me his daughters story. His son-in-law was working for an HVAC company and was driving a company van and was hit by a tractor trailer and was killed. Tractor trailer driver was at fault. Now tractor trailer driver is trying to sue the HVAC company because he has nightmares about the accident. He told his daughter is he ever sees that guy to ask him 'what it's like to get paid to kill my husband'. Ridiculous.