Hitch Danger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Down here in San Diego, the police get a hair up their collective butts every once in a while.
They write warning tickets on vehicles with trailer hitches sticking out.

I live about 20 miles east of San Diego's Beach area, they would not dare to write tickets in my town, there are horse ranches surrounding the town

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My 73 dodge van had an 18” extension bar, to be able to open the back doors. That van has been gone for about 17 years now, but I still have scars, indentations on my shins.

OP
OP
Toddbigboytruck

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Down here in San Diego, the police get a hair up their collective butts every once in a while.
They write warning tickets on vehicles with trailer hitches sticking out.

I live about 20 miles east of San Diego's Beach area, they would not dare to write tickets in my town, there are horse ranches surrounding the town
Yes here in Ontario Canada we also have a law that started nothing is supposed to stick out pass your bumper. People get tickets time to time. But more people drive around with a hitch all stuck out of there trucks. I personally remove the hitch every time

Last edited:

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I prefer to run with my hitch installed. Helps protect the rear of the truck when a texting prius owner hits me.
^^ This ^^

A few years back, I had one of those 4 headed hitches that you pull out and spin for different sized balls. It made a great deflector. I got rear ended twice in the same week and pretty much ruined the front end of both sedans that hit me and all I got was a few scratches on the hitch. I have some sort of hitch installed in both trucks and the suv and keep them in at all times. That being said, I don't back into parking spots and take up half the sidewalk like some inconsiderate fockers do....

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
^^ This ^^

A few years back, I had one of those 4 headed hitches that you pull out and spin for different sized balls. It made a great deflector. I got rear ended twice in the same week and pretty much ruined the front end of both sedans that hit me and all I got was a few scratches on the hitch. I have some sort of hitch installed in both trucks and the suv and keep them in at all times. That being said, I don't back into parking spots and take up half the sidewalk like some inconsiderate fockers do....

And if you are smart you only walk into a hitch once. For ever remembered.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hate back in parkers. Youre not cool, you're not a super hero and not a get away driver.

This just made me realize how worse it is with a truck.

Last edited:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm usually a back in Parker. Better than backing out blind parked between 2 vans or bigger trucks than mine. Plus I can park it first time rather than have to back up to adjust in tighter lots. It's the back into stuff parkers that are the problem.

Last edited:

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Google it. Backing into a parking space is safer than pulling in.
Beets are healthier than hot dogs, doesnt mean i have to like it.

You are still annoying others, blocking traffic. Also provides a flase sense of safety resulting in assholes pulling out at full speed.

I will agree there is a right time and place for it.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I'm usually a back in Parker. Better than backing out blind parked between 2 vans or bigger trucks than mine. Plus I can park it first time rather than have to back up to adjust in tighter lots. It's the back into stuff parkers that are the problem.
X2

OP
OP
Toddbigboytruck

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hate back in parkers. Youre not cool, you're not a super hero and not a get away driver.

Well I alway back it. It was the policy of many companies here in Ontario. We had a long thread about this and how many people want to have there trailer hitch ball assembly. But I am sure in your state or provincial it is illegal to drive with anything that stick passed your bumper unless flagged or towing

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

You are still annoying others, blocking traffic. Also provides a flase sense of safety resulting in assholes pulling out at full speed.

There are many things that annoy all of us. One of mine are the people that park, get out, and hit the FOB setting off the horn. The horn function can be turned off on all vehicles now. Its BS to be in a parking lot with multiple horns honking. Another major annoyance are those who pump gas and walk away. In the store buying treats, peeing, and BS'ing for 15 minutes while people are waiting for pumps. I have other complaints but I hope you get the point.

OP
OP
Toddbigboytruck

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Does that mean it is worse to back in a truck ? Or you find it hard to back in a truck?

Well with the company I work for we always have to back in and as for traffic let them, wait

Last edited:

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I always back in. Maybe it was my years in law enforcement? Dunno but I'd rather back in when I have the time and luxury of taking my time. When I need to leave I may be in a hurry and would rather be able to pull straight out.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I used to leave my hitch insert in all the time until I went to trade in my 2007 Ram. It had a 2 5/16" ball on a solid steel insert and it was stuck in there. Tried beating it out from behind, tried hooking it to a tree and easily pulling forward. It was stuck. Ended up trading it in with it in there. I did ask the dealer to get it out and I would pick it back up and they said they couldn't get it either.