Hodges 2016 Bilstein Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
we get killed on prices on everything here. less demand, less population and lifts are speciality products so they appropriately are expensive as hell. initially in reading through your whole thread today and some others, I thought i could just do biltsteins on the front and spacers in the back for a level basically. i can probably get the hardware to do those for like 400 bucks then labour on top (i don't have everything i need to do suspension work) but...wondering if i just do that if i'm missing something important in the equation. I would rather do nothing than cause complications. I looked at the Rough Country spacers all around solution for like 250 bucks worth of parts, 358 kit i think it is... but that seems too budget and sounds like its a recipe for stress on the front end that I want to avoid.

am I making any sense? LOL

It's really gonna depend on your use of the truck. If it's mostly highway, no heavy accessories, and occasional mild stuff off the pavement then the 5100's aren't a bad choice. Just know they're not really a badass off road performer, but I will say they are better than stock on and off road(Mostly on road). I wouldn't, however, go past notch 4 (2.1") if you value the ride quality as you'll be putting a lot of preload into the spring. Out back spacers are fine and I've run my 3/4" spacer with the stock springs, stiff ass 1211 springs, and now the softer Billstein +1" springs. When it comes to spacers upfront you've got more to consider that's been covered in depth, but pretty much anything bigger than a small spacer can lead to issues with the stock suspension bits along with certain spacers just being a **** poor design that leads to damage(Hodge has a thread on this). If you want a slightly better ride quality I would get rear springs over a spacer, but depending on what you go with you might need longer shocks, brake line bracket extensions, etc. If you stick to the 1" springs or a max of a 1" puck you'll be ok with the 5100's, but a better ride/performance can be had with more customization obviously.

In my case I'm running a hodgepodge of parts all combined together with the weakest link being my 5100s and the immediate goal was to get the front back off the ground with my heavy bumper, riding a little better, and alignment specs more conducive to running a 35X12.5. Eventually I'm going to upgrade to something better in the shock department hence all the upgraded components on my truck (TTX HD LCA's, JBA UCAs, TTX HD Rod Ends, Core 4x4 adjustable 5 link, Carli Panhard Geometry correction). I also live out in the middle of nowhere with horrible roads hence the desire to upgrade to something better than 5100s for my daily driving. When I go into the city and its all highway the current setup actually rides pretty damn well compared to what it was and the better/smoother gravel roads are fine up to about 55-60 mph. If I only had to venture out here occasionally I'd probably leave it as is due to how well it rides in town and on the highway.

The final product is in the Eibach thread and I have a few images floating around the Eibach issues thread of the parts and what not. It's sitting on 275/65R20's currently and eventually will get 315/70R17's at some point.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/eibach-pro-lift-struts.130255/page-31#post-2041804

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'll get all the parts in, pull numbers, take pictures and get you to spend more money. Aside from shocks I think you can make some of the parts. So far these rear 5125s ride on the choppy **** much better. I'll have about 500 miles logged by the weekend so a bit more seat time to really nit pick. But initial feels are much better.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'll be keeping an eye out in that case. Once the 5100'***** enough roughness the rear just gets violent with the skipping so I'll probably end up doing something about that rather soon. I had to replace my taillight screws because they ended up going missing... Hit a nice rough patch that went soft with the storm the other night and they held it together for about 2 seconds and then I was riding the rattler for the remaining 2. Wasn't even going that fast either since it was storming and dark.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How do things look with the Bilstein springs at full droop? If the 5125's are that much nicer riding I might give them a try for the price. Copy @ram1500rsm with the hose clamps for extra safety and maybe the metalclock stops if I can't round up anything else for stop extensions cheaper. Also his on the cheap brake line extension bracket until I do brakes and get braided lines. I also have those .75" spacers on top so I should have just a little bit extra length at full droop. Eventually I'll probably get the SLF-140's, but when that time comes I'll be going for coilovers up front and some more serious rear shocks.
At almost 30" extended, those shocks will be too long for the Bisltein coils, Heck they'll unseat the Icon coils for sure :)
With the Bilstein coils you can go with the Fox 2.0 0-1" lift, part# 985-24-032

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thx for the info Josh. Now I have more to think about. Was hoping i could get away with Bilsteins in front at 2.1 and nothing but a good 1 inch spacer in back. Guh

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
At almost 30" extended, those shocks will be too long for the Bisltein coils, Heck they'll unseat the Icon coils for sure :)
With the Bilstein coils you can go with the Fox 2.0 0-1" lift, part# 985-24-032

Figured as much. Those foxes are shorter than the 5100's and I also have that .75" spacer on top. I think if I try anything else it would be the basic 2.0 Icon's, about the same price as the 2.0 Fox's. Never really cared for how the basic 2.0" fox's ride. The 2.5"s are another story, but that's some money right there. If Hodge is happy with the 5125's and the new springs maybe I'll just spring for those at the same time if I have some extra cash come in. Would be nice to ditch the spacer.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Figured as much. Those foxes are shorter than the 5100's and I also have that .75" spacer on top. I think if I try anything else it would be the basic 2.0 Icon's, about the same price as the 2.0 Fox's. Never really cared for how the basic 2.0" fox's ride. The 2.5"s are another story, but that's some money right there. If Hodge is happy with the 5125's and the new springs maybe I'll just spring for those at the same time if I have some extra cash come in. Would be nice to ditch the spacer.
I have the Icons 1.5" springs i took off from the truck in my garage, and in about 6 weeks or so i'll have King 2.5 piggybacks out of the truck to match those springs. 27" extended 17.5" compressed. $700 and it will be all yours if you wanted it :) The difference in handling control and performance offroad is day and night.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have the Icons 1.5" springs i took off from the truck in my garage, and in about 6 weeks or so i'll have King 2.5 piggybacks out of the truck to match those springs. 27" extended 17.5" compressed. $700 and it will be all yours if you wanted it :) The difference in handling control and performance offroad is day and night.

Oh man the temptation. If I was still at my old soul sucking gig I'd pay you right now for the kings and run them with the current spring setup then begrudging splurge for a front set lol. But I also do like how much rake you got back with the SLF140's in your thread so that's gonna be a tough call =/.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well i think i've decided to wait on taking off my rear Kings, the replacements wouldn't be as long as i'll wanted them without taking away some of their safety factor, which i'm ok with removing their factory internal spacer replacing it with something a little smaller. But then i think spending another $1150 to gain 1.5" downtravel tops and my brain and senses come together in unisone to say don't be stupid while my hand is trying to reach for the credit card.

Good damn it is only money but consider i bought the kit brand new in Dec might as well use it until i need to rebuild them.... Oh well, i'll see if can score a deal in July 4th but as for now after doing more research into all my options (i was looking into External bypasses, Internal bypasses and Smooth body shocks for the rear with this new SLF-140 springs) it doesn't make sense for me to spend the dove for just 1-1.5" downtravel keeping the same performance. I wish i knew about this longer springs from the beginning and i'd have gone with the longer King rear shocks from the get go, oh well, live to learn that's one of the reasons doing a database with shocks and springs helps a lot :)

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Well i think i've decided to wait on taking off my rear Kings, the replacements wouldn't be as long as i'll wanted them without taking away some of their safety factor, which i'm ok with removing their factory internal spacer replacing it with something a little smaller. But then i think spending another $1150 to gain 1.5" downtravel tops and my brain and senses come together in unisone to say don't be stupid while my hand is trying to reach for the credit card.

Good damn it is only money but consider i bought the kit brand new in Dec might as well use it until i need to rebuild them.... Oh well, i'll see if can score a deal in July 4th but as for now after doing more research into all my options (i was looking into External bypasses, Internal bypasses and Smooth body shocks for the rear with this new SLF-140 springs) it doesn't make sense for me to spend the dove for just 1-1.5" downtravel keeping the same performance. I wish i knew about this longer springs from the beginning and i'd have gone with the longer King rear shocks from the get go, oh well, live to learn that's one of the reasons doing a database with shocks and springs helps a lot :)
Just saw this, as I ranted on your other post as well. My pre workout is kicking in so I'm rant heavy lol. I agree with you 100%

Like I said had these coils gained me the lift I wanted I'd not even be doin this myself. Luckily my **** is budget so I don't feel the sting like with kings etc. I normally don't mess with vehicles much, except some minor aesthetics and suspension. My truck may be fugly but it rides like a caddy. These 5125s are freaking pillows on the road, it's ridiculous. So hopefully I can get these 6112s close to ***** pillows as well. If i was out west by you I could kill these things in 1 day, but for here and my needs they are the bees knees. That's the hardest part, I WANT all the fancy goodies, i NEED stock chit. So Ill live middle of the road.

Can't wait to get life situated and back to having play money. I'm slightly obsessed with just paying **** off right now and getting most of my consumer debt gone. Aside from my mortgage and current truck. But those are normal and minor compared to other high interest **** I had hanging over me for years. Looking to be engaged by end of summer and didn't want to carry debt into that chapter of life so I snowballed it. Financial freedom is literally such a great feeling. At 31 it's been a long road fixing mistakes. 1 more big payoff and I'll be done with it......which leads me to my biggest question....why did we want to grow up so badly?!?!

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just saw this, as I ranted on your other post as well. My pre workout is kicking in so I'm rant heavy lol. I agree with you 100%

Like I said had these coils gained me the lift I wanted I'd not even be doin this myself. Luckily my **** is budget so I don't feel the sting like with kings etc. I normally don't mess with vehicles much, except some minor aesthetics and suspension. My truck may be fugly but it rides like a caddy. These 5125s are freaking pillows on the road, it's ridiculous. So hopefully I can get these 6112s close to ***** pillows as well. If i was out west by you I could kill these things in 1 day, but for here and my needs they are the bees knees. That's the hardest part, I WANT all the fancy goodies, i NEED stock chit. So Ill live middle of the road.

Can't wait to get life situated and back to having play money. I'm slightly obsessed with just paying **** off right now and getting most of my consumer debt gone. Aside from my mortgage and current truck. But those are normal and minor compared to other high interest **** I had hanging over me for years. Looking to be engaged by end of summer and didn't want to carry debt into that chapter of life so I snowballed it. Financial freedom is literally such a great feeling. At 31 it's been a long road fixing mistakes. 1 more big payoff and I'll be done with it......which leads me to my biggest question....why did we want to grow up so badly?!?!

Dude trust me having all that debt gone will feel way better than any new toys possibly could. Sometimes I kick myself for having two car notes, but without any other debt to speak off I'm servicing that rather easily working an average of 10-15 hours a week doing the consulting crap after bailing on a job I hated for years. Something I never would've been able to do carrying consumer debt for sure. I'll probably end up being a W-2 again at some point, but on my own terms rather than because I desperately need to pay bills for **** I don't really need.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
So got the springs and track bar relocation done. Nothing earth shattering, but the truck felt pretty different on my initial neighborhood loop. Didn't measure yet as I want it to settle and I need a level spot. Should have the front end sorted tomorrow.

Man I can't wait to get some better tires under this thing. First picture of truck is before and second is after. Definitely happy with the rake. 4d7eb2a9ee4eb0e9a90aa8f5deaa9680.jpg06353a3e270cad5cd166caa1c972a97d.jpg53b2f6073954d9b6cd0f9c658cf1ac18.jpgc5aa4f8a63fce29ad991a4b8216396cc.jpgbae260aac1ae1fa54b1e1a304aa85ce5.jpg

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like that TB relocation bracket a lot more than the Carli one. I think that's the side that should hold the load, not the frame one.
What bracket is that ?

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I like that TB relocation bracket a lot more than the Carli one. I think that's the side that should hold the load, not the frame one.
What bracket is that ?
It's a BDS and I really like it. Only had to drill 1 hole for it and it's solid. I wasn't sure about using it with such low lift but I measured with a level and tape measure using the video you linked as a reference to make sure I had it right. Sure as **** the lowest hole is about 2.5" above the oem location which as you can see has the bar perfect. It for sure changed the characteristics of the truck, I have a nice commute ahead of me this morning so this will be it's preliminary test. I wanna say this correction brings roll center up correct?? ******, I'll Google it and refresh my brain, but as I said, it's got a very different feel to the way it handles.

These springs are a nice change. Those bilstein coils rode soft, a good bit softer then these, but I need to use my truck like a truck. Off to jump potholes and test out my street-awesomeness.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That does sit a lot better, how was the commute?

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
That does sit a lot better, how was the commute?
Very different. Almost weird how different the truck reacts to bumps. I have a few spots that I'm used to the truck wanting to kick or something and it reacts much better. Rear coils are for sure stiffer. Truck feels much better and not as spongy in the back.

Got my front spacers delivered. Measured them and the 1.5" lift spacer is 1" thick. So hopefully being able to pull my preload out to the 1" lift setting will take a bunch of the snappiness out of the front end. I only feel it on certain sharp bumps so fingers crossed it helps take the edge off. Before winter I'll get back onto some 17s and the ride should be as good as it's gonna get.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Very different. Almost weird how different the truck reacts to bumps. I have a few spots that I'm used to the truck wanting to kick or something and it reacts much better. Rear coils are for sure stiffer. Truck feels much better and not as spongy in the back.

Got my front spacers delivered. Measured them and the 1.5" lift spacer is 1" thick. So hopefully being able to pull my preload out to the 1" lift setting will take a bunch of the snappiness out of the front end. I only feel it on certain sharp bumps so fingers crossed it helps take the edge off. Before winter I'll get back onto some 17s and the ride should be as good as it's gonna get.

Would you say the springs and 5125"s are worthwhile over the billstein springs springs and a better shock? I'm torn between keeping the rear Billstein + Spacer combo and splitting the difference on performance shocks with the Icon 2.0" w/ Resis (216524R) or getting the SLF-140's, 5125's, the required 5125 bushings, and doing a brake line bracket extension until I do a brake upgrade and go with braided lines.

As much as I didn't want to go back to Corporate land I have the possibility of a Security Engineering gig at a local bank with some old co-workers and an MSP from Austin has been reaching out so it looks like the fun money tap might be open again soon. 1st thing will be flares/flaps to help keep all the junk off it, some 17's w/35's since my 20's are out of round a little, and I'll also be seriously looking at a better rear shock minimum.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Would you say the springs and 5125"s are worthwhile over the billstein springs springs and a better shock? I'm torn between keeping the rear Billstein + Spacer combo and splitting the difference on performance shocks with the Icon 2.0" w/ Resis (216524R) or getting the SLF-140's, 5125's, the required 5125 bushings, and doing a brake line bracket extension until I do a brake upgrade and go with braided lines.

As much as I didn't want to go back to Corporate land I have the possibility of a Security Engineering gig at a local bank with some old co-workers and an MSP from Austin has been reaching out so it looks like the fun money tap might be open again soon. 1st thing will be flares/flaps to help keep all the junk off it, some 17's w/35's since my 20's are out of round a little, and I'll also be seriously looking at a better rear shock minimum.
So honestly if you are happy with your current height but the ride is ass, I'd say get a shock upgrade. If you want more rake than you already have than obviously get the springs. I have to assume those icon shocks will for sure ride much better than the 5100s on the rough stuff you encounter. I really did like those bilstein coils and wish they'd given me more lift. But my truck gets used more than anything and planning ahead for the decked bed system i needed to get my rake back. Apples to apples I liked the bilstein coils much more, they ride like pillows. Flip side to that is I can't haul anything and even sitting at 2.3" front lift I was level which sent me nose up all the time. This setup rides nearly as good, it's a bit firmer but not bad by any means. I think once I get back on 17" wheels I'll be happy. My stock sized 20s at like like 43psi ride like ass.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So honestly if you are happy with your current height but the ride is ass, I'd say get a shock upgrade. If you want more rake than you already have than obviously get the springs. I have to assume those icon shocks will for sure ride much better than the 5100s on the rough stuff you encounter. I really did like those bilstein coils and wish they'd given me more lift. But my truck gets used more than anything and planning ahead for the decked bed system i needed to get my rake back. Apples to apples I liked the bilstein coils much more, they ride like pillows. Flip side to that is I can't haul anything and even sitting at 2.3" front lift I was level which sent me nose up all the time. This setup rides nearly as good, it's a bit firmer but not bad by any means. I think once I get back on 17" wheels I'll be happy. My stock sized 20s at like like 43psi ride like ass.

Yea I'm not a huge fan of the 20"s off the pavement, but on the street they're alright. I really need to load up the bed or hitch something up to my truck and see how bad these billstein springs are gonna be for the load I might encounter with the extra bit of spacer on top. Had I known about the SLF140's I would've gone straight for them over the billstein springs =/. The softer spring rate is a nice change over the 1211's on the dirt roads, just really need a better shock for the ride quality. Decisions decisions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca