Hood decal removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SigEp418

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m tossing around the idea of removing the hood decal on my 2018 sport. Mine came already installed from the factory. I’m guessing it’s body color underneath? I can’t find any info on removal on here and nothing Ram specific on YouTube. I really don’t want to remove it to find that it’s just primer underneath!!! Thanks y’all.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The decals and badges are applied after painting. Even the vinyl on the door pillars can be removed, I think there a thread or two about it.

Elvira

Reaction score
You may find removing them will leave a trace or outline from where they were. You could possibly buff that out too. Having them is not just for aesthetics, they do help with the sun glare off the hood and help to prevent eye fatigue.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Agreed on sentiments above regarding these hood decals aren't just for looks.

It significantly helps to reduce glare. I personally find them helpful as I drive a lot, and to me, they also look good too.

Removing them will undoubtedly leave behind some left over stuff, and depending on how long you've had them on for, if you leave your truck outside all the time or garage it when not being used, and if you ever treat your paint (wax, ceramic, etc.), you could possibly have a discernable difference in colour between the freshly uncovered paint and the rest of the paint. The sun is a harsh thing on automotive paint.

The elements (sun, debris dusting especially on the highway, wind shear, winter, etc.) take a toll on those vinyl decals. I personally use a quality black vinyl dressing that has UVA/UVB blockers and some black pigmenting too on my hood decals quite often so they don't fade.

You may be able to salvage the finish by trying that?

I also dress all my rubber and plastic bits too on a very regular basis with quality black pigmented products to ensure they don't fade either.

Below is my truck at almost 4 years young, and she's still shining like this now.

Attachments

• 20220512_094134.jpg
    20220512_094134.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 13

BruceS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
I personally use a quality black vinyl dressing that has UVA/UVB blockers and some black pigmenting too on my hood decals quite often so they don't fade.
Can you provide a list of the products you use?

What does the black pigmenting do? Or is it just for black paint surfaces?

I just purchased a low mileage 11-month-old 2022 Granite Metallic Laramie midnight edition with a sport hood. I love this paint color, but can see (especially because it isn't garaged) that it may not retain its luster unless I keep it under control.

When I purchased it, it had a bunch of Mopar / tiger print decals, which I had the dealership remove. They unfortunately left some scratches after clay barring it, which I muffed out.

I just want it to kook this good years down the line!