How do you know when it’s time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tincup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2010 with 141xxx miles. It’s in generally pretty good shape, and I have no real desire for a new truck at this point. But over the last few months or so maintenance has seemed to pile up - had a transmission solenoid need replacing about a year ago, hub assembly in front passenger wheel, etc. Mostly just general wear and tear kind of things, but at this many miles that’s bound to keep adding up. But I came home last night from a 5 day trip and I had a leak in the cab and my front floorboards (weather tech) had an inch or so of water in them from the a-pillar. Looks like an easy enough fix to unclog the drainage holes on the sunroof, but still. It got me to at least start looking around.

For y’all others like me that try and keep your trucks as long as is reasonable, when do you decide it’s time to trade in and upgrade? It’s my daily driver, but my folks have a good chunk of land so it gets to get out and take some abuse every once in awhile.

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
I got rid of my 03 just before it hit 160k. I had no mechanical issues with it, though I did have a suspicion that the water pump was on its way out. I could tell the clear coat was starting to fade. I noticed that the value was dropping quick on it and the mileage had me concerned. Didn’t wanna spend big money on rebuilding a transmission in a truck that wasn’t worth a whole lot. Plus we just had our second child and we needed more space! I went to the dealer to just look at how big a crew cab was, ended up test driving. Went home and convinced the wife and about 3 weeks later had a new Ram lol.

2017 RAM 1500 Laramie 4X4 Crew
from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have not had to make that decision in a while . About the time I do a load of work on a truck some one who cant see red comes along and totals it for me and not just once .

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Are you sure the leak in the cab isn't the rear brake light ? Water travels.

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good thing I saw this post. I am currently in the same situation. I have a 2010 1500 quad with a 4.7 and shes about to roll 178,000 miles. It's a damn good truck and looking to get something a little newer with fairly low miles. I've found a nice slt with 54,000 miles for about $23000. What made me look was my esp/bas and traction control light are lit up and the cc isn't working. I have a feeling it might be the clockspring going bad. So I got the boss to agree it's time to start looking seriously.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
For me, about every 12 months. It's a sickness, I see something new on the show floor, and I just have to buy it.

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can relate to this thread. I thought I was at the "point" with wear and tear maintenance due and mileage but am having a hard time letting my 4th gen go for the 5. I like the looks of the 5th gen but my 4 looks a whole lot better!

I'm keeping her for a while yet.

OP
OP
T

tincup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you sure the leak in the cab isn't the rear brake light ? Water travels.

I'm not sure, but had an appointment at the shop to get my tires rotated tomorrow anyway so they'll have a look. Whatever it is it'll get worked out.

OP
OP
T

tincup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got rid of my 03 just before it hit 160k. I had no mechanical issues with it, though I did have a suspicion that the water pump was on its way out. I could tell the clear coat was starting to fade. I noticed that the value was dropping quick on it and the mileage had me concerned. Didn’t wanna spend big money on rebuilding a transmission in a truck that wasn’t worth a whole lot. Plus we just had our second child and we needed more space! I went to the dealer to just look at how big a crew cab was, ended up test driving. Went home and convinced the wife and about 3 weeks later had a new Ram lol.

2017 RAM 1500 Laramie 4X4 Crew
from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is kind of where I'm at. It's paid off and I really enjoy not having a payment, but at some point I'd like to get something back for it when I trade it in. And like you, I'm not interested in paying for something big like that if I can avoid it.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I'm at the 'just bought the thing' end of the experience with my truck. However, it's different under different circumstances.

I let go of my wife's old 'mommy missile' T&C minivan as my daily driver when I realized that while I can haul a lot of crap in it, I couldn't quite fit a lot of things that I needed, and there were a lot of things that fit which I did not want to carry in it. (No, seriously, have you ever smelled a goat tied down to the back of an empty minivan, with only a tarp and some straw scattered atop that to keep the carpet from getting obliterated? Bleah. That my friends was the breaking point there...) I still have it parked on the property and start it once a month, but it's likely going to go up for sale once I clean it up a little and give it a bit of a tune-up - maybe $500 or so?

I let go of my last truck (old F-250) when, in spite of rebuilding it as a project years before and getting 50k miles of good service out of it, it started costing me more than I was willing to continue sinking into it. First it was the electrical under the dash (yay mice!), then the suspension (ball joint swap=no fun in a Utah winter w/ no garage), then when the carburetor started to give out, I fixed it up that one last time and sold it as fast as I could.)

My old Jeep? I drove it to death - bought it brand-spankin' new in 1991, right before I became a civilian. It did exceedingly well, with around 160k on the odo by 2007. When I moved to Oregon from Utah, the years of salty dust conspired with the damp Oregon climate to turn the body and frame into a rusty mush. Oh, and did I mention that when you take an old desert vehicle into a cooler wet climate and drive it around for a year or so, the electrical systems go to ****? Once the holes showed up (in both body and frame), I knew that it was too late to save it... though for awhile, I was pretty fierce about not giving it up in spite of that... but it was time, sadly.

The rest went either because I don't care much about cars, the kids (or a younger brother or two back in the day) inherited the thing, or in one case, because the brakes failed and I wound up eating another car's rear bumper (note: airbags taste nasty, folks.)

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I had a 1999 dodge magnum that I loved, but it turned into a money pit. That's when it's time. The repairs you described are minor in my opinion.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I have a 2010 with 141xxx miles. It’s in generally pretty good shape, and I have no real desire for a new truck at this point. But over the last few months or so maintenance has seemed to pile up - had a transmission solenoid need replacing about a year ago, hub assembly in front passenger wheel, etc. Mostly just general wear and tear kind of things, but at this many miles that’s bound to keep adding up. But I came home last night from a 5 day trip and I had a leak in the cab and my front floorboards (weather tech) had an inch or so of water in them from the a-pillar. Looks like an easy enough fix to unclog the drainage holes on the sunroof, but still. It got me to at least start looking around.

For y’all others like me that try and keep your trucks as long as is reasonable, when do you decide it’s time to trade in and upgrade? It’s my daily driver, but my folks have a good chunk of land so it gets to get out and take some abuse every once in awhile.

We have the same year truck. You have about 8K miles on me. What you describe is normal, and as you say, wear and tear. Unless you are into the 5th generation look or have new functional requirements (towing, hauling), enjoy the ride I say. In point of fact, your truck looks nearly identical to the 2019 Classic 1500 that is coming off the assembly line today. Now THAT is the gift that keeps on giving. Yours is bought and paid for, and a dependable beast. When you have serious engine problems or the transmission craps the bed, then you may want to move on.

OP
OP
T

tincup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We have the same year truck. You have about 8K miles on me. What you describe is normal, and as you say, wear and tear. Unless you are into the 5th generation look or have new functional requirements (towing, hauling), enjoy the ride I say. In point of fact, your truck looks nearly identical to the 2019 Classic 1500 that is coming off the assembly line today. Now THAT is the gift that keeps on giving. Yours is bought and paid for, and a dependable beast. When you have serious engine problems or the transmission craps the bed, then you may want to move on.

Thanks for the reply, pretty much my thoughts as well. Been about as solid a truck as you can ask for, and I'm really enjoying having my wife's ride be the only car payment we have. I'm expecting some towing/hauling in the future, but not there yet, so don't really need the heavy duty at this point. I like the 5th gen, but am not crazy about buying a first year model of any redo like this.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Thanks for the reply, pretty much my thoughts as well. Been about as solid a truck as you can ask for, and I'm really enjoying having my wife's ride be the only car payment we have. I'm expecting some towing/hauling in the future, but not there yet, so don't really need the heavy duty at this point. I like the 5th gen, but am not crazy about buying a first year model of any redo like this.

^This!

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
you've passed the magic number- 100K miles, so there's a smaller market for the vehicle than a sub 100K mile vehicle. when you're spending lots of time and money keeping it on the road, then it's time to consider another vehicle. But if you're only spending a few hundred to fix something, that is generally cheaper than a new vehicle payment.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Things can "happen" even in a new vehicle, but the odds are in favor of dependability residing in a newer vehicle. The problem with an older (and paid for) vehicle is that the next "payment" is likely to come due without notice and without a known dollar amount attached to it. I worked hard to get to the point where I could own the vehicle outright. Then I spent very little out of pocket, saving what I could toward the next new vehicle. For most of the trucks I have owned, I have spent money on oil/filters, car wash/wax, and wiper blades. In other words, almost nothing. I try to trade with some of the original warranty still in force. Granted, not everyone can do that, but if you can, you're putting your money into the latest technology and all the parts are new at the same time.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I usually keep my old truck for 6 months or better until I feel my new truck has the bugs out of it and I feel it's going to be reliable. New doesn't necessarily mean less repairs. Just less repair cost due to warranty. Still have my old one 15 months later this time because I put a lot of k on in a month in remote areas and I trust it. New one seems to develop problems just sitting in a heated garage so I'm not comfortable taking it too far from home yet.