how do you reset oil change due message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oliq-sNfBks
so I watched this video, simple enough but here's my deal. It came on 2 weeks ago while I was going on vacation towing...BIG. I had it changed in Nov. at the dealer, I always use Pennzoil syn. The sticker they put on window shows to change it again in 3 months or 5000 miles. Well I dont drive my truck much so I was at 3500 miles when it came on. The first time in 3 years I ever recall seeing it and I've gone past the 5k mark before. So had my oil broke down to prompt the light or can you bump up the mileage on the computer so it doesn't come early? I was a little nervous about it. got it changed today and asked the guy at counter about it but he wasnt real sure so I thought i'd ask the experts...

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Maybe the dealer did not reset the light in November.

This is possible.

I don't really know much about the 12's oil life meter of its anything like the 14's it calculates by how often you drive, engine temps, engine hours how hard it's working and gives you the % it thinks is left it doesn't have a sensor in the oil to tell it what's happening. Mine shows 25% left and I'm running about 7500 miles right now, so I'm right on track for 10k but I don't tow heavy and I drive a easy commute.

And if you don't reset it it'll keep going it doesn't auto restart when the oil is changed.

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my 2010, you turned the key to on, press the accelerator pedal three times, then turned it back off....I am pretty sure that is how I did it...

on my 2014, you do it through the EVIC.

Found it:
Owners manual page 275 -- 1) turn ignition switch to on position(do not start engine)-- 2) fully depress accelerator pedal slowly three times within 10 seconds -- 3) turn ignition switch to off position --- note if message illuminates when you start the engine the system did not reset. Repeat the process.

OP
OP
cableguy_hd

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Maybe the dealer did not reset the light in November.

That makes most sense I guess. 3500 miles on syn oil doesn't seem like a lot. I don't have a % indicator. Oh well it's changed now so I'll see how it does.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
synthetic oil to be changed in 3 months or 5k miles? lol oh dealers

OP
OP
cableguy_hd

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Yeah I told them the manual said 8k and rolled his eyes

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Yeah I told them the manual said 8k and rolled his eyes

i have a friend that's a service writer at a local chrysler dealer.

they have targets. every morning they get a pep talk and are told to sell sell sell.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Man.. you guys are driving your oil that long? I feel like the 10k mile rule with these trucks is to get the service department more money. I always did 5k with syn, 3k with conv. They always try to and tell me that the truck might be more money but you dont have to change the oil now for 10k miles.. I roll my eyes and think, what technology has changed in this motor to prevent oil from breaking down? nothing.. No filter will filter oil for 10k miles, but I dont want to start a debate here, im just giving my 2 cents.. sorry for thread jacking, I just think your all nuts hahaha

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The same folks telling you how long to run your oil are backing it up with 100,000 mile Warranty. The folks telling you otherwise are giving you ????

Informal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The same folks telling you how long to run your oil are backing it up with 100,000 mile Warranty. The folks telling you otherwise are giving you ????

So what are you getting at?

The people who BUILT the truck say 8k

The jerkoffs at the dealership say 5k typically.

Irrivirsible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't want to go 10,000 with regular oil. Mine reads 2500 miles 75%, 3400 miles 66%, seems like it is based off of 10,000 miles nothing else.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Man.. you guys are driving your oil that long? I feel like the 10k mile rule with these trucks is to get the service department more money. I always did 5k with syn, 3k with conv. They always try to and tell me that the truck might be more money but you dont have to change the oil now for 10k miles.. I roll my eyes and think, what technology has changed in this motor to prevent oil from breaking down? nothing.. No filter will filter oil for 10k miles, but I dont want to start a debate here, im just giving my 2 cents.. sorry for thread jacking, I just think your all nuts hahaha

I agree with you on conv oil going that long, I only plan to run mine about 6k miles or 1 year. However there are plenty of quality filters out there that look fine after more than 10k miles of use. Oil and filters have come a long way in the last 20 years but an oil change is less than a tank of gas so I don't see why people try to look at this subject as a way to save money. Even on Synthetic I change our 4Runner at 8500 miles and the filter is horrible to get to, but change it anyway.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So what are you getting at?

The people who BUILT the truck say 8k

The jerkoffs at the dealership say 5k typically.
My stealership puts a 3K mile sticker on the windshield, but my EVIC usually alerts me at ~ 6-6.5K miles. Sad, greedy dealers.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Theres a reason the warranty ends at 100K... :roflsquared: I want to see a truck with 200k+ miles on it with 10k miles oil change intervals.

I just think regardless of oil quality and filters that theres just too much "stuff" sitting around in that oil after 5k+ that could start causing wear. This is why I just do 3k changes with conv. Cheaper, and peace of mind.

Like I said im not trying to stir the po...err... I guess I already did..:popcorn:

coleflo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Theres a reason the warranty ends at 100K... :roflsquared: I want to see a truck with 200k+ miles on it with 10k miles oil change intervals.

I just think regardless of oil quality and filters that theres just too much "stuff" sitting around in that oil after 5k+ that could start causing wear. This is why I just do 3k changes with conv. Cheaper, and peace of mind.

Like I said im not trying to stir the po...err... I guess I already did..:popcorn:

My '04 has 250k on it.
Change oil (Royal purple) and mobil 1 filter every 10k, and change filter only and top off every 5k.