Oil change intervals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lefty62

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
2018 ram 3500 mega cab
6.7 Cummins
What is the interval between oil changes
Manual says 15000 miles with synthetic
I do it every 5000 miles
Do I follow what the screen says on the dash

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If your using a full synthetic oil, its a waste to change the oil sooner than 7500 miles or 1 year. Given it's a Cummins going 10K (or more) mile OCI is about on par, there's 3 gallons in that sump. If your changing because it's black, that's just because it's a diesel and no indication of the oil condition.
You'll get a lot of opinions on oil change intervals but if you really want to know, send a sample out to be tested

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Around 2013 Ram changed it from 7500 to 15,000mi. Same engine. One of the reason they changed it to 15k is make it appear to the Feds and advertising that operating costs are less and uses less oil on an average year. They don't care if it's detrimental as long as you make it out of warranty.

I have 2 2018's that I keep serviced. 5w40 syn diesel oil and a Mopar oil filter every 7500mi. Mopar fuel filters every other oil change at 15k miles. Airfilter every other fuel filter change at 30k. Air filter will vary depending on your conditions you run in.
Aisin trans I change fluid at 36k. Every other fluid dump I'll also change the filter.
Crankcase filter 60k to 65k miles i change that.
Rear axle oil I also change out 36k miles.
I tow some heavy stuff so I stick to what I have listed above. If you never tow you can stretch the miles on rear gear oil and trans fluid. But there's no such thing as over maintenance. I may as well add, you're due for a brake fluid flush too. I try to replace very few years.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Around 2017 Ram changed it from 7500 to 15,000mi.
Where does it state this, the 15K miles interval has been that way since at least the '14 model year, probably goes back to the inception of the 6.7

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Where does it state this, the 15K miles interval has been that way since at least the '14 model year, probably goes back to the inception of the 6.7
I'll try to find it. Can't remember exactly what year but IIRC it was during the 6.7.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.

My mistake, it was the 6.7 upto 2013 was recommended 7500 miles then they changed it for the 2014+. I made the correction.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I dont drive mine very many miles per year, as I use my truck primarily to haul my RV. So I change it basically once a year.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
If your using a full synthetic oil, its a waste to change the oil sooner than 7500 miles or 1 year. Given it's a Cummins going 10K (or more) mile OCI is about on par, there's 3 gallons in that sump. If your changing because it's black, that's just because it's a diesel and no indication of the oil condition.
You'll get a lot of opinions on oil change intervals but if you really want to know, send a sample out to be tested
Have to agree changing it every 5K is a waste of $$$ as good synthetic should be able to go 10K or one year, as for oil samples, IMHO using the Cummins/Fleetguard oil kit is best and they are much cheaper then Blackstone, $16.14 ea ( s/h not included, free s/h on orders over $75.00) when buying direct from Cummins, when in stock...

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
OP - listen to these guys. I worked for Cummins (powertrain engineer), retired in 2016. They know their $hit.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Even if you're using plain old conventional dino oil the OCI is 15k miles. The owners manual does not say to change it sooner if using conventional oil. It also does not say to run it longer if using synthetic oil.

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2018 ram 3500 mega cab
6.7 Cummins
What is the interval between oil changes
Manual says 15000 miles with synthetic
I do it every 5000 miles
Do I follow what the screen says on the dash
I think you’re wasting oil and time with a 5k interval. It makes more sense to go to at least 10k - note that OTR diesels typically are a 20k plus interval with ease. You have a large crankcase, and that is to assist in cooling and lubrication of that rugged engine. Try 10k; it gives you an opportunity to give your truck a good look underneath more often than the 15k interval. Suggest you have an oil analysis performed on that interval and move forward accordingly.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I think you’re wasting oil and time with a 5k interval. It makes more sense to go to at least 10k - note that OTR diesels typically are a 20k plus interval with ease. You have a large crankcase, and that is to assist in cooling and lubrication of that rugged engine. Try 10k; it gives you an opportunity to give your truck a good look underneath more often than the 15k interval. Suggest you have an oil analysis performed on that interval and move forward accordingly.

You cannot compare OTR trucks with a daily driver unless the p/u operator is using it as such, such as hotshot. Plus 12 Quarts is a far cry from 12 gallons of oil that is in a truck tractor.
Too many people buy a diesel and then use it to run short errands. That is considered severe duty and calls for a shorter interval.
No one's engine ever suffered from changing the oil to often.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The oil change interval changed in 2013 when the DEF fluid injection started. The DEF allowed a reduction in the amount of EGR the engine was subjected to. High idle time, short trips (especially in cold weather),higher than normal regen frequency and city driving all considered severe duty. As @18 CrewDually said “Changing it too often only hurts your wallet“. I change mine every 5000-7500 depending on if I’m towing a lot and getting passive regens vs automatic regens.

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You cannot compare OTR trucks with a daily driver unless the p/u operator is using it as such, such as hotshot. Plus 12 Quarts is a far cry from 12 gallons of oil that is in a truck tractor.
Too many people buy a diesel and then use it to run short errands. That is considered severe duty and calls for a shorter interval.
No one's engine ever suffered from changing the oil to often.
Do as you think is best. Opinions are just that; I agree with your last point

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I don't tow much during the winter months - but I normally limit my short trips - I always drive until my coolant & engine oil temps are up to at least 190*F for 15-20min.
(to hopefully evaporate as much moisture out of the oil as possible)
I have since the first OCI - Change Oil & Filter every 6 months (Before Winter & Before Summer).
Due to all the possible Soot/Fuel/Condensation - contamination/dilution.

As of today ALL my emissions is still intact - next spring this will all change.
This will change my OCI to probably once a yr - (Before Winter).