How to Add Overhead Console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Which side do you start to take just the black piece off? Start prying first from the wi dahield side or from the back?
You'll want to drop the entire thing starting from the back, then separate the black part.

This guys video covers both steps.

Brads41789

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So I purchased a console with wiring harness on ebay and I'm looking at it trying to figure out some of the wiring. I have most of it figured out but then I look further down the harness (it was 2 harnesses that plug into each other right where the console meets and the 2nd is supposed to snake around the headliner to the back. But halfway back there is a gray plug, and at very end by the plug for the rear dome light there is a 4 pin white plug and another gray plug. Can anyone help me out with what they plug into? I am adding the console and rear dome light to my 15 express. (I'm including pictures of the plugs in question)

20201114_170441.jpg

20201114_170528.jpg

Brads41789

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Part of me is wondering if the wiring harness is pre-wired for the sunroof motor and power rear window motor because the console came with the power window switch (but not the sunroof)

Phaeton16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK so I figured out the wiring connections for my 2016 Ram Express, that was the easy part, now I installed the black piece that holds the console up and am ready to cut. Before I do does anyone have some tips, I have read all the post and to start in the middle and I'm going to use RANbow's template but I'm a little nervous getting ready to cut.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've not done it personally because luckily that's one option my truck came with but I have seen a few guys post about it. A few things I would recommend is obviously slowly open the space and continually check fitment. I would also recommend finding the exact center of the area you are going to cut and use something that is easily removed like pieces of masking tape ect to measure it our in increments equally on both sides to make sure you stay centered as you expand the hole. You can look up headliners for sale and get a good idea of the exact location it should go. Obviously use a tool that's sharp enough to cut the headliner without tearing the fabric or deforming it. Good luck. I have done tons to my truck and pretty much had pieces laying all over my garage during some projects but I have to say I really wouldn't be looking forward to this either.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

RAMbow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 FrankenRam (Limited Tradesman)
Engine
OK so I figured out the wiring connections for my 2016 Ram Express, that was the easy part, now I installed the black piece that holds the console up and am ready to cut. Before I do does anyone have some tips, I have read all the post and to start in the middle and I'm going to use RANbow's template but I'm a little nervous getting ready to cut.

It can seem a little overwhelming, but i did also cut out the holes in the template i made so that i could line up where it snapped in and that became my reference visually to feel comfortable in cutting the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brads41789

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

I did it the past November. I mounted up the black mount and screwed the visor brackets back in to hold the headliner up. After doing that you slowly cut in VERY small amounts until you can snap the black center part of the OH console up. You'll know you're in the right place as you'll see the 2 slots that it clicks in. It's a lot easier than you think, just cut slow and use a very sharp blade.

Phaeton16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK just finished it off and man that was nerve racking. I followed Padre675 and Rambow's guidelines and carefully cut the headliner, little at a time. The only problem I had was after snapping just the black piece in and used as a trim guide the metal snapping piece wouldn't let loose and it pulled the metal part off but was able to put back to normal. This so far is my best Mod. I also added LED bulbs.

IMG_20210123_162118.jpg

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks nice! Now that you've tackled that I'm sure there will be more. It's kinda an addiction!

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Jorgemartino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Looks nicee mann. I want to do this also, i meed to get the console with the wiring and also the bracket, right? Can you point me to the right direction please? Thanks in advance...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Phaeton16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is the site I used, https://www.mymoparparts.com/ When I put my Vin number in they said it doesn't fit, thats because my truck did not have it . These are the part numbers I used in my 2016 Ram 1500 Express
55365119AC Overhead Console Retainer $37.84
1PQ03BD1AA Overhead Console Housing $87.40
68064999AA Wiring-3 Way $30.10
Hope this helps, I looked at post #256 numerous times and read all the other post, I did the basic console without garage door opener and slider etc. If you take your time on cutting then taking apart the black assembly that connects to the tan trim piece and using it as a guide you will be fine. It is sooo much better at night in the truck.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is the site I used, https://www.mymoparparts.com/ When I put my Vin number in they said it doesn't fit, thats because my truck did not have it . These are the part numbers I used in my 2016 Ram 1500 Express
55365119AC Overhead Console Retainer $37.84
1PQ03BD1AA Overhead Console Housing $87.40
68064999AA Wiring-3 Way $30.10
Hope this helps, I looked at post #256 numerous times and read all the other post, I did the basic console without garage door opener and slider etc. If you take your time on cutting then taking apart the black assembly that connects to the tan trim piece and using it as a guide you will be fine. It is sooo much better at night in the truck.
Did you need longer screws to put visor back on? I am waiting for last part to start my install. Thanks

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The template was 10 3/5 x 5 3/4. I marked the mount holes for the inner assembly and then cut a starter hole to get a reference once i put the liner back up. I slowly cut wider and wider until i could reference the holes. After that, i traced the entire template with pencil and make the final entire cut.

3d9a4eddaa369a0b3ec5b18104e68195.jpg
be27c0a72aaa91ec6ec22bf62b67934c.jpg

Thank you for doing and sharing this!

Phaeton16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You use all the same screws , the only thing you don't use are the black puck like spacers that the visor clips screw into, you now screw into the new bracket that you install under the headliner that the console snaps into.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks. I now just have to see what I get with the stuff I ordered and then play with wiring. I hope the end result is the lights come on when door opens then shuts off automatically.

Phaeton16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The wiring was pretty simple, just follow sideshow's example the only difference on my wire color was yellow/green, yellow/blue and black for ground. Use a test light and you will figure out which one to use. Make sure when checking your door lights you wait til the dome light is off.

RAMbow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 FrankenRam (Limited Tradesman)
Engine
Thank you for doing and sharing this!

Anytime! There are alot of great folks here who are always more than happy to share their knowledge and experiences to help others! Hope it all works out for you and if you have questions, just post them here.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am a bit confused, normal for me. I have the console and ordered the wire harness that has been pictured here. Indeed lots of posts about the green plug near the headlight switch and obviously the wires aren't long enough to go from console to green connector. But then I read about splicing in. I am assuming the easy way is to just splice into the dome light wires for always on power and door open power, correct? Second, I have 5 wires and assume three for left/right lights and two for small map/coffee cup light, correct? On those wire connection points, looking down with windshield end pointing away, can anyone help me understand left/middle/right pins for 3 plug and left/right pins for map light? Thanks for the help.View media item 30479

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In addition to my last post I wonder if anyone can help with this. I have 6 wires going from the green connector running up the A pillar. I only have center some light, no cargo camera and I do have side airbags. I was trying to check the plugs with a meter but my display is shot and cannot see what has power when. Trying to figure out what each of these wires go to in my 2018 2500 Tradesman. Thank you in advance. View media item 30482

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Anytime! There are alot of great folks here who are always more than happy to share their knowledge and experiences to help others! Hope it all works out for you and if you have questions, just post them here.

I am doing my overhead console now and this piece just fell out of the headliner on the driver side. I cannot find similar on passenger side. Any ideas?View media item 30602View media item 30601