How to replace map lights 2023 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skates15

Reaction score
Hello. I want to replace the oem bulbs with led for the map lights and there are YouTube videos showing that you need to remove the overhead console to do the work and another video saying that you just have to remove the light covers (not the console) and move the chrome reflector out of the way to replace the bulbs, which sounds much easier than removing the console.

Any pointers on preferred method?

Thanks.

OP
OP
skates15

skates15

Reaction score
What year is your RAM ?
Mine is a 2015 and all I had to do was pop off the lens cover to remove the bulbs and add the LED'S

Other You Tube videos!! I did not remove the console

Hi. 2023 1500 bighorn. I assume you can pop off the lenses cover and move the chrome reflector out of the way and then replace the bulbs, but I'm not sure as nearly every YouTube video has you removing the console and/or breaking it down.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Hi. 2023 1500 bighorn. I assume you can pop off the lenses cover and move the chrome reflector out of the way and then replace the bulbs, but I'm not sure as nearly every YouTube video has you removing the console and/or breaking it down.
I think there is a difference with years ! I looked on You Tube and so far I see same as you!Taking panel down,, On mo 2015 It was just the lens,, I look a few more times and see if I find any difference or Hopefully someone will chime in and be of help

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Found this,, Hope it helps !
Mine was way easier then yours.. But from the videos I ve seen so far look easier to drop the counsel
But if you tried the lens removal and you can not get to the bulb you may have to drop the console !
Crazy RAM make it so hard to change a bulb !
I like LASFIT Brand bulbs or Auxito.. I tred cheappos and they were not great
Not sure your interior is the same !
Not a great video but tells how to remove lens on his RAM

Last edited:
OP
OP
skates15

skates15

Reaction score
Yep, I saw that video which prompted me to post the question as to best method. Unfortunately he doesn't show how he did it.

I'm going to take the lenses off and see what is what before removing the console. Ill post results.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Yep, I saw that video which prompted me to post the question as to best method. Unfortunately he doesn't show how he did it.

I'm going to take the lenses off and see what is what before removing the console. Ill post results.
Hope it goes well ! Will be interested to see your results :)

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Removing the console is not a big deal although I do remember thinking it wasn't necessary after doing mine. It was 3 yrs ago.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Watching the video again it looks like he would have a hard time getting the bulb out !
Why did they make it a royal PIA to change a bulb ?
On my 2015 it was a pain but not bad!

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Just did this the other night in my 2024.

- open the sun glass holder
- remove the two 8mm bolts
- use your finger and push the two black plastic pins towards the windshield and the front part drops down while pulling down alittle
- pull down the back (towards you) as it uses clips (you might need a plastic pry tool to assist
- whole unit falls off and you unplug both connections
- take a guitar pic style pry tool ( very thin) and start popping the clear lenses off the front side of the lights
- from the back push the bulbs through carefully (might have to remove the chrome shrouds - wear gloves no finger prints)
- put new LED bulbs in carefully (make sure they are seated fully and you don't bend all the stuff)
- assemble the chrome shroud and plastic lenses
- plug back in while hanging and use switch to test lights
- push back up and clip back (towards you)
- push front up and clips engage
-reinstall two 8mm bolts

Should only take 15min or so depending how careful you are. You might be able to do it without pulling the unit down at all by just popping the clear lenses and use a needle nose pliers to pull the bulb out and you might be able to get a new bulb in carefully. I wouldn't want to do this often but I put in LasFit bulbs which I have had great luck with and they are bright as hell, canbus friendly and non polarity.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Just did this the other night in my 2024.

- open the sun glass holder
- remove the two 8mm bolts
- use your finger and push the two black plastic pins towards the windshield and the front part drops down while pulling down alittle
- pull down the back (towards you) as it uses clips (you might need a plastic pry tool to assist
- whole unit falls off and you unplug both connections
- take a guitar pic style pry tool ( very thin) and start popping the clear lenses off the front side of the lights
- from the back push the bulbs through carefully (might have to remove the chrome shrouds - wear gloves no finger prints)
- put new LED bulbs in carefully (make sure they are seated fully and you don't bend all the stuff)
- assemble the chrome shroud and plastic lenses
- plug back in while hanging and use switch to test lights
- push back up and clip back (towards you)
- push front up and clips engage
-reinstall two 8mm bolts

Should only take 15min or so depending how careful you are. You might be able to do it without pulling the unit down at all by just popping the clear lenses and use a needle nose pliers to pull the bulb out and you might be able to get a new bulb in carefully. I wouldn't want to do this often but I put in LasFit bulbs which I have had great luck with and they are bright as hell, canbus friendly and non polarity.
Good write up ! I agree with using LASFIT bulbs ! I went cheapo E Bay specials first round ! Went to LASFIT and Auxito and they were way brighter
My car with LASFIT bulbs and Auxito ! I have to get a new picture of the truck but you getthe idea

Attachments

• Car.jpg
    Car.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
skates15

skates15

Reaction score
I went with the cheap sets from the jungle store and they are not very good, so going with Lasfit, thanks all.

BulaienS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 V8, 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio
Removing the consul still requires removing the lenses. So don't remove the consul; just remove the lens, the plastic chrome-plated reflector, and the old bulb, then reinstall the reflector first, and then the LED bulb. If not installing the reflector first, the LED bulb connection may not hold because the reflector may disturb the LED bulb when trying to reinstall. BTW, fuse No. 30 is what brings power to the map light in case (for my vehicle at least) you want to be sure you don't short the fragile contacts inside the consul. However, you need to test that you have good LED contact before placing the lens back in place. Not particularly easy, but you will be much better at doing this when you do the next one!

My work was done on 2020 RAM 1500 Big Horn. The LEDs were from Amazon and do not have a brand name, only a description: 9 pcs RAM Interior LED Lights Kit Ultra Bright White for 2009 thru 2023 and possibly 2024. $21.99 plus tax, free shipping. Day 2: Still Working! : )

UPDATE Day 3: I just read the ad for Lasfit bulbs. Even though my Amazon bulbs are still working, I should have purchased the Lasfit Dome and Map lights. They would have fit the contacts better, would not cost much more, and would still include free shipping.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Removing the consul still requires removing the lenses. So don't remove the consul; just remove the lens, the plastic chrome-plated reflector, and the old bulb, then reinstall the reflector first, and then the LED bulb. If not installing the reflector first, the LED bulb connection may not hold because the reflector may disturb the LED bulb when trying to reinstall. BTW, fuse No. 30 is what brings power to the map light in case (for my vehicle at least) you want to be sure you don't short the fragile contacts inside the consul. However, you need to test that you have good LED contact before placing the lens back in place. Not particularly easy, but you will be much better at doing this when you do the next one!

My work was done on 2020 RAM 1500 Big Horn. The LEDs were from Amazon and do not have a brand name, only a description: 9 pcs RAM Interior LED Lights Kit Ultra Bright White for 2009 thru 2023 and possibly 2024. $21.99 plus tax, free shipping. Day 2: Still Working! : )
If you pull the negative battery post,you don't have to worry about shorting out anything and blowing the fuse.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I went with the cheap sets from the jungle store and they are not very good, so going with Lasfit, thanks all.
How did you make out with the new bulbs ? And man those map light bulbs were a royal pain to change for me on mo 2015 ! I just pulled the lens and used the tricks on You Tube videos

OP
OP
skates15

skates15

Reaction score
I didn't buy them yet so I can't comment on how bright they are. I do like the orange OEM bulbs, I just like the look, but they are not nearly bright enough.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I didn't buy them yet so I can't comment on how bright they are. I do like the orange OEM bulbs, I just like the look, but they are not nearly bright enough.
DO NOT buy the cheapo E bay one IMO.. They work OK but are not as bright as the LASFIT and AUXITO I now have ! Also several of the cheapos had a few dead spots !
FYI if you change the third Brake light bulbs to LED use the RED ones ! The white LEDs Bleach out a lot of the RED so almost pinkish color and too bright ! The RED give a nice deep RED color

OP
OP
skates15

skates15

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. Yes to Lasfit or Auxito. Learned my lesson on the cheap ones. When I change out the 3rd then it will be red.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Thanks for the tips. Yes to Lasfit or Auxito. Learned my lesson on the cheap ones. When I change out the 3rd then it will be red.
One trick I saw on You Tube to remove that 194 Bulb in map light was using a small zip tie ! Make the loop and slip it over the bulb and then snug up ! If I remember a member here Big Daddys House has several You Tube Videos , as he would say Hot Damnn lol

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
delete