How to: Baking open and re-sealing headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BombSq030

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sorry to revive this. But I may tackle this this weekend. I just got rid of my 2016 2wd for a 2016 4wd. And it was the biggest pain getting permaseal open. I've opened plenty of headlights without issue until I got to the RAMs. OP, any additional tips opening the permaseal? Otherwise I'll just relive that pain again lol

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Sorry to revive this. But I may tackle this this weekend. I just got rid of my 2016 2wd for a 2016 4wd. And it was the biggest pain getting permaseal open. I've opened plenty of headlights without issue until I got to the RAMs. OP, any additional tips opening the permaseal? Otherwise I'll just relive that pain again lol

Just keep the permaseal warm. Baking them and have a heat gun handy

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7

If I recall correctly when I opened a couple sets, I went with the 245 degree range in the oven, just as the OP did. Think I did 15 minutes though. I was scared the first time and the first light was a pain in the ass, think I left it in their about 7-10 minutes. Went the full 15 minutes and cracked the other three open easily. I started opening them on the inner horizontal side and moved out from there.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First and foremost: Make sure your lights are 100% clean front and back!!!!
If you've got bug guts and you heat up the lense they sink right in (Don't ask me how I know).

I've baked a few 4G headlights myself. The temp is about right, fiddle with the time, but certainly, if it's not 'playing nice' slap it back in the oven longer.

BombSq030

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks guys. I went pretty cool on the temp last time. I'll try hotter this time. I don't prefer using the heat gun because I typically end up making the plastic too pliable. Removing the permaseal is going to be the worst part I suppose

OP
OP
S

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So far no issues. Paint has held up fine without being cleared

WhiteNBlackRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So far no issues. Paint has held up fine without being cleared
Okay thank you. I'm just looking to black out my fogs. I already have black shrouds. So just need to do the reflector. If I don't need to clear that's one less step, either way, they are tucked inside the bumper so no direct sunlight.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iralee