How to clean a injector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
WARNING! Only disassemble and clean only 1 injector at a time. All the parts are tune particularly to that particular body. Don't mix and match parts!
injector-exploded.jpg

Only disassemble and clean only 1 injector at a time. All the parts are tune particularly to that particular body. Don't mix and match parts!
allen-wrench-jig1.jpg

allen-wrench-jig2.jpg

Then before you can remove the nut you need to remove your copper washer. This can be done with a putty knife and a hammer just lightly tap the putty knife and it should be able to pry it up enough to using the putty knife or a screwdriver.
copper-shim-removal.jpg

Now as I set my torque wrench for loosening and kept adding torque to the handle adjustment looking for the click and loosening of the nut. Well I found it at about 32 foot/pounds so I backed off to 30 foot/pounds and set the wrench. Loosen the nut.
loosening-injector.jpg

torque-wrench-setting.jpg

Now you need a clean area too. I set up a shop towel and a old ashtray. I filled the ashtray with Coleman fuel (Naphtha). So I would open up the injector carefully and place all the parts in the solvent to soak. Now in the picture above there is a shim that goes in the bottom below the spring. This shim might be stuck inside the body don't sweat it let in soak in the Coleman fuel for about 5 minutes and pick it up and it will fall out.

Now that all the parts are soaking take a old scotch bright one that's been used a bit and rather soft. dip it in the solvent and light rub the nozzle clean of soot. Yes you may rub the tip but be gentle about it. Now look at the pintle (needle) look at the tip for damage or wear... Now check it for smooth sliding action in the nozzle. If it feels rough rub the pintle gently with the scotch bright pad and it will help it out...
dirty-nozzle.jpg

clean-nozzle.jpg

I was doing a mini-spray test too... Dip the nozzle in the solvent keeping the fuel hole up and holding the nozzle horizontal using a blow gun just a light burst of air will show you your spray pattern some what but also insures the nozzle tip is not plugged.

Now just blow all the large parts clean and dry from the solvent. Make sure to blow the fuel passages clear.

Once you happy with the clean up and every is clean now reassembly the injector exactly the way it came apart. Put your shim in the body take notice of which side was up. You'll also notice the shim has wear marks from the spring so be sure to put it back in the right way.

Well the shim has to be this side up... Take notice to the side that has the wear mark for the spring...
shim.jpg

Then place your spring the the body.
spring-installed.jpg

Then there is a cone shaped piece that goes on top of the spring but make sure to place the hollow side up. This is for the pintle to ride in.
pintle-seat.jpg

The mid body goes on top of this take notice to the pins it will only go on one way...
mid-body.jpg

Then your nozzle and pintle goes on top to look like this...
nozzle-pintle.jpg

parts-stacked.jpg

Here is a good video of how I did each injector.

[yt]MEfVU5KhoBc[/yt]

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
This is now bookmarked in my files ... AWESOME !

Thank you

joetama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Subscribed. Good stuff here.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Ya we are lucky to have Michael .

Dont forget to check out mopar1973man.com also ... great info

OP
OP
Mopar1973Man

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Ya we are lucky to have Michael .

Dont forget to check out mopar1973man.com also ... great info

Thanks...
happy0159.gif

As for my injector clean up... I been running around locally and man talk about a difference in performance and idling. Really much better.

But ISX did me a favor and soak his injectors in a popular inector cleaner over night and would you believe it there were still caked in soot, varnished pintles etc. Had ZERO effect on the injector and that is being submerged in a popular injector cleaner.

Puts new light on the idea of a cure in bottle.
doh.gif