How to disable the immobilizer system?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WMick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Happy New Year Folks - I started thinking about putting a remote start on my '04 1500. As I get older, I enjoy scraping windows, before work, less and less.

As I start to think things through.... I realize that my truck has the transponder key immobilizer system... Sounds like adding one of those key-in-the-box bypass gadgets is a common. fix... I only have one transponder key at the moment so I'd need to get another programmed...

What Id really like to do, is just eliminate the immobilizer system completely... I live out in a spot where security isn't a high priority... If the immobilizer were deactivated, it would just eliminate one potential headache for me down the road...

Can it be done, and if so how to go about it. ??

Thanks a bunch.

Last edited:

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Since nobody responded yet, I looked at the service manual and it looks to me like you would just unplug the box at the steering column, but then you would need someone with a DRBIII scan tool to program the rest of system to operate without it. I'm not positive about that, but that's what it looks like to me.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You'd have to remove the SKIM (Sentry Key Immobilizer Module) from the column and REPLACE (not reprogram) your PCM. ****** PCM's can be put anywhere but once a PCM gets a SKIM initialized to it, it's a SKIM PCM from then on out. All it takes is putting a PCM into a BUS that still has the SKIM installed and turning the key on. As soon as the juice hits, the SKIM sends a signal to the PCM and ruins it forever lol. So, remove SKIM, install ****** PCM, either pre-flashed to your VIN (ensuring they didn't specify SKIM) or flashed at a shop.

raposon1964

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
i removed the skim on my 2006 ram 1500 HEMI and had the ECM reprogrammed by a company in miami, the truck runs but the keyfob is not working and the alarm goes off for a minute each time i open the door or start the ruck. how can i get the car to read the keyfob again??

acln99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You'd have to remove the SKIM (Sentry Key Immobilizer Module) from the column and REPLACE (not reprogram) your PCM. ****** PCM's can be put anywhere but once a PCM gets a SKIM initialized to it, it's a SKIM PCM from then on out. All it takes is putting a PCM into a BUS that still has the SKIM installed and turning the key on. As soon as the juice hits, the SKIM sends a signal to the PCM and ruins it forever lol. So, remove SKIM, install ****** PCM, either pre-flashed to your VIN (ensuring they didn't specify SKIM) or flashed at a shop.
Just an add on. I have been able to change the Skim setting in the PCM . I can disable SKIM in NGC3 & NGC4 PCMs. ( also SEBC3) The skim value has many setting. ie OFF, learned, waiting to be learned,failed,locked etc. No sure what each value is but if someone needs help -- reach out.
Also you can disable SKIM on FCA 2004-2010 with DIY software and ELM 327 BT.

acln99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
YES - This works on CAN bus PCMs using Elm327 Bluetooth . For JTEC and NGC3-SCI you need my hardware.
2005 Dakota is NGC3-CAN.

go to skimdelete.com

Download APP - Android Only

Plug Elm327 BT into OBD2.

Pair Android BT with Elm327 BT .

Start APP ....

Enjoy.

HemiLonestar NOT A SCAM !!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
YES - This works on CAN bus PCMs using Elm327 Bluetooth . For JTEC and NGC3-SCI you need my hardware.
2005 Dakota is NGC3-CAN.

go to skimdelete.com

Start APP ....

Enjoy.

Ohhhhhhkaaaayyyyyyy.............why would I care?

acln99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never know when you loose a PCM or Skim or need to change VINs etc.
Works on your SRT8 as well. Interesting, I started learning about Skim & communications when I swapped a 6.1 SRT (like yours) into my Prowler.
No-one could help - now there is a FREE solution !!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Never know when you loose a PCM or Skim or need to change VINs etc.
Works on your SRT8 as well. Interesting, I started learning about Skim & communications when I swapped a 6.1 SRT (like yours) into my Prowler.
No-one could help - now there is a FREE solution !!
Interesting, considering I don't have a 6.1 anything (oops).....nor am I looking to drop a 6.1 in a Prowler. Mayhaps the OP would be interested in what you have (I am not). Try peddling to him lol.

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
Disabling the SKIM on these 2003/2004 Rams is very easy. Take the cover off the steering column and zip-tie one of the chipped keys next to the ring on the module. Then put the cover back on. After that, you can use any number of regular keys cut from one of the chipped keys. The fobs will still work too.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Disabling the SKIM on these 2003/2004 Rams is very easy. Take the cover off the steering column and zip-tie one of the chipped keys next to the ring on the module. Then put the cover back on. After that, you can use any number of regular keys cut from one of the chipped keys. The fobs will still work too.

That's the old "Remotestart Installer" technique from the 90's. :)

diamond Wrenches

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2005 Dakota is NGC3-CAN.

go to skimdelete.com

Start APP ....

Enjoy.

I have a question, I have the same dongle however I can't get this to work for me. It connects but it doesn't populate the Vin or skimm. What am I doing wrong here??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007