How to open a stuck rambox lid? - 2013 up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NicksGarage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My friend just bought a 2013 Ram 1500 with the ramboxes. They weren't locking and unlocking with the key fob. We took the cover off one side to find the typical broken clip. We didn't put it back in until he could get the clips and he closed the lid. Now it won't open. He's pushed the button many times and the key seems to turn in both directions as it should. He pushed down on the lid and tried every which way to get it open. Fortunately there isn't anything in the rambox so we might try going through the drain plug holes with a grabber to try and pull the emergency handle.

It doesn't make sense to me that just removing the power unlocker would affect opening the lid with the key cylinder. I compared the design of the 2013 to my 2009 and I can see they changed it. I looked at the latch part online and it looks like it should work. I haven't been able to go to his house to try anything yet but want to keep him from taking desperate measures and ruin something.

Anyone had luck getting it open in this situation?

rambox_latch_02.jpgrambox_latch_01.jpgrambox_latch_03.jpg

OP
OP
NicksGarage

NicksGarage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
He took apart the other side and took a video of what it does. He thinks this lever is what actuates the latch but to me it looks like once it's installed it wouldn't. If it does, I'd be worried about those plastic clips breaking there and totally locking you out. I'm suggesting to him to replace all the plastic clips with metal ones.

rambox_latch_04.jpg

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I doubt those plastic clips would break. Cars back to the 80's used them on door latches. Even these days they still hold up. They're kind of a flexible nylon. Tougher than they look. If you go with metal ones, the rods may be too large in the bores and the extra space (slop) of the rod in the hole might still work, but it might require more movement of the lever than the lever has ..you'd have to try it. The plastic clip also functions as an anti-rattle. I've done a lot of autobody ..those clips never really wear. Not saying they *can't* but it would be very rare.

Anyway, good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
NicksGarage

NicksGarage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I doubt those plastic clips would break. Cars back to the 80's used them on door latches. If you go with metal ones, the rods may be too large in the bores and the extra space (slop) of the rod in the hole might still work, but it might require more movement of the lever than the lever has ..you'd have to try it. The plastic clip also functions as an anti-rattle. I've done a lot of autobody ..those clips never really wear. Not saying they *can't* but it would be very rare.

Anyway, good luck
The reason we're in there trying to fix it is that two of the clips did break. It's a very common problem on the ram boxes with the power lock function. You can see one of the broken clips here.

rambox_latch_05.jpg

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I stand corrected. It's odd that the rod isn't all the way through the through-hole. Is the rod end too short to protrude?? But I see what you're saying.

OP
OP
NicksGarage

NicksGarage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Well I stand corrected. It's odd that the rod isn't all the way through the through-hole. Is the rod end too short to protrude?? But I see what you're saying.

The rod doesn't stick out much. It seems to be mostly a problem with the one on the actuator. I assume the shock of it opening and closing is what causes them to break.

OP
OP
NicksGarage

NicksGarage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
He got the box open. Had a locksmith come out and he used some air wedges in the lid to make a gap where he could grab the emergency release handle to trip the latch.

Turns out that with the power actuator and cover removed, there was still the link from the lock cylinder that goes to the lever for the actuator motor. When the lid is closed, that link hung down and jammed into the lever on the latch that the lock cylinder needs to operate. The rod is the one with the red arrow below. This means that if that clip were to break and that rod is hanging free, it could jam it again. It also cause the button to stick halfway in. I've seen that symptom mentioned before.

rambox_lock.jpg

Zigi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco diesel
the lock button is stuck in the pushed in position. The key still moves it side to side smoothly but it won't pop back so that i can open the rambox. Any suggestions? The lube and the pushing down don't do anything

Zigi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco diesel
Does anyone know how or even if I can open my Ram box if the remote or key won't open it. Or how to remove the box or gain access into it if the lock won't unlock? Getting pretty desperate here. I've had a locksmith look at it and he says the locking mechanism is broke inside somewhere and can't be opened that way so he is trying to figure out if there is another way in. Someone on here mentioned going in through the drain hole - how?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you go through the drain hole
the box would have to be empty, i would think

Then you would need a Borescope to see what you were doing