Hurricane durability questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The hemi came out in 03 and I don't think the ram's got mds til 06. If I remember right the cars got it in 05. My 05 1500 hemi didn't have it.

The point is MDS was there before lifter failure was a thing, and lifter failures still happen on engines like the manual challenger which don't come with MDS. I don't like MDS and I disable it, but it's not at all related to lifter failure.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I think the opinions of longevity should be directed towards what turbocharger components with the water and oil plumbing.

I’ve seen pictures on Motor Trend and no banjo bolts to be seen but still some right angle oil return plumbing that looks similar
At least they’re using a smaller and medium snails for low end boost, the water to air inter-cool attachment looks contrived but plasma liners for forged slugs using either 0/w20 or 0/w40 has us moving into the future McFly with no dipstick and 10,000 mile oil changes.

FCA is probably hoping an electric powertrain to be developed before these grocery getters return to the dealer service bays.IMG_0403.jpeg

I bought a V8 so I could have naturally aspirated displacement and not a some sort of fire breathing oil cooker.. maybe I should refer to it as a pizza oven..?

Last edited:

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It seems diesel rigs in big trucks have dealt with the turbo charger issues successfully. Am I mistaken in this? I’m a little surprised that a company like Toyota couldn’t successfully introduce a turbo 6 in their trucks without issues - but no. Being a long time fan of Toyota/Lexus really great reliability and quality, that’s what concerns me. If they couldn’t get one right I’m not real confident RAM will either - at least for a few years. I had a Turbo SAAB back in 1980 and it was a nice little car for the time so I’m not completely adverse to them. Some of these new cylinder and block manufacturing techniques kind of bother me. But then I’m old enough to remember many of Detroits engineering fiascos of the 70s like Vegas, diesel engine conversions from gas, early GM MDS. :rolleyes:

Truckit

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 2006 300C with MDS that I used to own has almost 400,000KMs (just shy of a quarter million miles) and has never been opened. I see it on the road regularly.
I have yet to hear or read of a bad 3.0 SST in the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer trims. Yes I have heard of many bad Hemis. After 13 great Hemis it is a time for change. I'm waiting on my new Tungsten. There was a time that I thought Chrysler was done when I couldn't buy a 400 or 440. Buy a Hurricane. Remember that the 5.7 and Hurricane have the same designing engineer. Just my worthless opinion. LOL

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
Frankly, a 3.L engine with twin turbos is pushing all the HP and torque out of a small displacement engine can deliver. It barley gets much better mpg as the 5.7. What's the point?
and its a gas motor working it hard all the time is inviting premature failure or major issues .

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
and its a gas motor working it hard all the time is inviting premature failure or major issues .
You and everyone else that's saying similar things have no basis for these kinds of statements and is purely based on opinion. The truth is no one knows what the durability will be for these engines. I'm in the same camp as you as far as wanting to have a V8 choice. But I won't declare the sky is falling until more data is in on the Hurricane. Since I won't be in the market for a new truck for years it's a moot point for me. And by then we will have a much better idea about the durability of the new turbo siblings.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The point is MDS was there before lifter failure was a thing, and lifter failures still happen on engines like the manual challenger which don't come with MDS. I don't like MDS and I disable it, but it's not at all related to lifter failure.
Totally agree with ya bud. :happy160:

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You and everyone else that's saying similar things have no basis for these kinds of statements and is purely based on opinion. The truth is no one knows what the durability will be for these engines. I'm in the same camp as you as far as wanting to have a V8 choice. But I won't declare the sky is falling until more data is in on the Hurricane. Since I won't be in the market for a new truck for years it's a moot point for me. And by then we will have a much better idea about the durability of the new turbo siblings.
You are 100% correct. This motor may turn out to be a tank and pray it does for Rams sake. More worried about everything attached vs what a v8 requires to run such as the turbos. The main reason I will not touch a diesel in ether a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck. More potential points for failure outside of the motor mechanics. Would not buy an Etorque ether but our hands are tied if you want something new.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

Is it working hard all the time, though? Given the peak power and where it comes in the curve, and the fact there's a bajillion people running these trucks with an *NA V6* that makes significantly less power, why would it be working hard constantly? Seems like the pentastar would be the one working hard all the time since it needs to spin more to get into it's power range and it's got less power to begin with.

So much this and exactly where I'm at. I don't expect to need a truck for 10 years or more at this point and don't know I'll ever buy a new one again. Not because of the motor choice but because of the increasing risk of mandated 'safety features' like automated driver monitoring that may be required by the time I'm in the market again. Good luck to the beta testers, because it is very much an unknown at this point...but at least it'll have plenty of grunt when it's working. :D

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
This engine is very similar to the BMW B58. Which, for all intents and purposes, is one of, if not the, most reliable engine BMW has ever made. Outside of a few small quirks, like all BMW's, like leaky valve cover gaskets, the engines are quite stout. Easily tuned to over 500 HP, beaten on and they just don't die.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Can you tell us what else besides the displacement, induction, and engine layout makes the B58 very similar to the Hurricane engines? I'm just curious because I've read how good the B58 engine is, but I wasn't aware that they had anything in common besides all three being 3.0L inline six twin turbo engines. In looking at pics of the engines I'm not really seeing a lot of similarities.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Can you tell us what else besides the displacement, induction, and engine layout makes the B58 very similar to the Hurricane engines? I'm just curious because I've read how good the B58 engine is, but I wasn't aware that they had anything in common besides all three being 3.0L inline six twin turbo engines. In looking at pics of the engines I'm not really seeing a lot of similarities.
Very close in bore and stroke, plated cylinders, forged internals. overall dimensions are close. B58 uses a larger single turbo though, while the Hurricane uses twins.

I start to wonder where they got their inspiration from for the Hurricane. There are couple I6 turbo engines that are pretty good and efficient. Jaguar P400 is another. Both have been around for quite a while.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This engine is very similar to the BMW B58. Which, for all intents and purposes, is one of, if not the, most reliable engine BMW has ever made. Outside of a few small quirks, like all BMW's, like leaky valve cover gaskets, the engines are quite stout. Easily tuned to over 500 HP, beaten on and they just don't die.
b58 is a great engine with some manufacturing issues over the years. Recently just had rocker arms recalled but good motor for the most part. Good one to copy. Just please don’t copy BMW electronics.

Edward Hands

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-Torque
Exhaust manifolds on a turbo will need to be far more robust than what was used on the Hemi.
And will far more difficult to change out as well...

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Exhaust manifolds on a turbo will need to far more robust than what was ever used on the Hemi.
And will far more difficult to change out as well...
Most people don’t even know exactly what they’re complaining about on the new engines.
There’s no exhaust manifolds on the hurricane engines.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No oil dipstick? What is the thinking behind this..........kind of like to know the amount of oil consumption and making sure level is proper. I really don't like sealed transmissions without dipsticks either. Makes filling to the correct level a bit tricky, at least in the Titan Jatco 9 speed.