I found a shop to fix that darn exhaust leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

AZRickD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is a tutorial on the clock spring and the systems that can go down if the clock spring mechanism fails.

The term "Clock Spring" doesn't really describe the simple mechanism.
It is neither a clock, nor a spring. Just a semetrical overlay of ribbon wires like the petals of a flower that allows the wheel to turn while still being wired to all the buttons.

Seems poetic.

https://www.youcanic.com/article/clock-spring

Video of its removal

Last edited:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This is the first I'm hearing that machining the warped manifold may be a better solution than replacement. Interesting.

OP
OP
A

AZRickD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The experiences suggest that a new OEM cast iron exhaust manifold will eventually warp again and that the old warped manifolds are pretty-much set and once trued up on a sanding belt, maintain square.

Better than spending $100 or so on replacement cast iron units that will eventually warp.
Better, cost-wise than paying $300-$600 on shorty headers.
Better, cost-wise than paying whatever for long-tube headers and getting a re-tune.

Last edited:

terb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
steam
Rick, do you also ride a Heckler?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
This is the first I'm hearing that machining the warped manifold may be a better solution than replacement. Interesting.

It's been a common fix all the way back to the 60's,not just on Hemi's.In alot of cases machining the original manifolds and re-installing with new hardware will be a better fix then new manifolds.As stated new manifolds will warp just like the originals do,while the original manifolds have taken a set,and usually don't warp anymore after they've went through several heat cycles

OP
OP
A

AZRickD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The work is all done.

Only one bolt was broken off -- with a goodly amount sticking out. Easy-Peasy extraction.

Right-side exhaust manifold repair:
$200 shop labor.
$67 for the bolts and gasket. ($42 bolts, $25 gasket)
$75 for belt sanding. The machine shop quoted $30 + shop time.

Cruise Control issue was verified with a scan that showed P0581 "Speed Control Switch Open Circuit."
Located that problem to the Clock Spring. OEM Clock Spring is Mopar-Pricey at $409.

Washer pump was replaced. OEM pump at $130.

Transmission serviced for $119. They said it looked pretty good

Results:

No tick-tick-tick
Washer works
Cruise Works
I have a tranny that has some mystery removed.

AKAllen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie 2500 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My dealer here in Caldwell, ID says they do several of these manifold repair jobs a month. They have a local machine shop who takes the warped manifolds and planes them flat and returns them to the dealer. My service guy says they keep a complete refurbished set in their parts inventory just for customers with the broken bolt/leak problem. I have to have mine done and need to get an appointment set up. I'm not sure what damage is being done by letting it go for a while because after the engine warms, the tick is hardly noticable.

OP
OP
A

AZRickD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A friend has been living with a tic-tic in his 2014 Ram 1500 "for years." His current Odo is 114K miles.

I convinced (maybe shamed) him into getting the work done, assuming it would be something like mine.

He reports back an odd situation.

Leaks on both sides.
Broken Bolts on Driver side: 3
Broken Bolts on Pax side: 1
Somewhat challenging extractions

Exhaust manifold flat as a pancake. Not warped.

Bolted it back together with new hardware.

No tick-tick-tick.

The cost dwarfed mine, though. $750

However, runs smoother. About a 1/2 MPG better gas mileage.

Last edited:

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I have not done this job, but from the research I have done it looks like a couple of the factory bolts have a stud for attaching the exhaust manifold shield. How did you deal with the shield when using the ARP kit?

I didn't. I had a buddy tackle this one for me. He cursed me for it but didn't give me any details.