I hate tire chains....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JanB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel w/68rfe
... but due to chain laws I have to have them, and there have been a few times I've actually used them. But, I haven't had to buy a new set in about 30 years. Now with our new 2019 3500 I have totally different beast... It has the LT275/70/R18 tires.

Any suggestions, or are all they all about the same?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Huge differences between them, but if you're just carrying them to meet local regulations I'd just buy whatever is cheapest. I run 7mm studded trygg v bars with cams to make it easier to keep them tight, but they're overkill for most people.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Is your truck a 4wd? I thought the requirement was chains or traction tires and if 4x4 you don't need chains at all. I lived in Alaska for 25 years and never used chains once. A good set of tires, 4wd and driving sanely was all that was ever needed. Only hit the ditch once and that we because I was showing off. I'd just get whatever is cheapest to fulfill the requirement or get a set of snowflake rated tires. Oregon requirements in link below.

https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/Chain-Law

** Edit ** - After thinking about it, I guess if that 3500 is rated over 10k GVR then all bets are off......

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I’ve never driven with tire chains on. I would imagine they make the ride quality complete ****.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those are a serious set of chains.

Do the cords qualify as "chains" when it is required to chain up?

We go to CO every winter and don't carry any but have just been lucky to have not been on the road when the sign went on.