I have a 2008 dodge ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary Middleton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When i traded in my 03 trailbazer... the truck didn't come with extra keys to lock and unlock my dodge
so i bought an after market key fob, will lock the passenger front and back but no the driver side or passenger side James at oreillys auto parts said it's my actuator called autozone the guy said it's not
I googled & youtubed nothing i even had the fuses checked out

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
A coworker had to go to the dealership to get his set up on his truck. His is a 2014 so that could be why he had to have the dealer set it up.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I'm pretty sure you want this moved out of the DETAILING section

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
is that Catherine Bach in your profile pic?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
When i traded in my 03 trailbazer... the truck didn't come with extra keys to lock and unlock my dodge
so i bought an after market key fob, will lock the passenger front and back but no the driver side or passenger side James at oreillys auto parts said it's my actuator called autozone the guy said it's not
I googled & youtubed nothing i even had the fuses checked out
Hey Gary. After reading your post I wanted to see if I could get some clarification on your issue. So, from the beginning, you bought the truck and it did not come with a factory key fob to lock/unlock the doors. After buying an aftermarket key fob and programming the fob, which doors lock and unlock?

If you have a door lock actuator that is inop, remove the door panel from that door and using the test light and DVOM you can see whether or not that lock/unlock signal is making it all the way to the actuator.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Noice!!!!!!

OP
OP
Gary Middleton

Gary Middleton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Gary. After reading your post I wanted to see if I could get some clarification on your issue. So, from the beginning, you bought the truck and it did not come with a factory key fob to lock/unlock the doors. After buying an aftermarket key fob and programming the fob, which doors lock and unlock?

If you have a door lock actuator that is inop, remove the door panel from that door and using the test light and DVOM you can see whether or not that lock/unlock signal is making it all the way to the actuator.

Correct.. a guy at kings dodge in mason ohio said it's not he actuator he said the key needs to be reprogrammed for $60, now northgate dodge won't work on a truck older then 10 years old or lawrenceburg is closer in indiana i can ask them

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Correct.. a guy at kings dodge in mason ohio said it's not he actuator he said the key needs to be reprogrammed for $60, now northgate dodge won't work on a truck older then 10 years old or lawrenceburg is closer in indiana i can ask them
Okay. They key fobs have to be programmed when they are new. $60 seems a little bit stiff considering that this is only a 5 minute job with the WiTech.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Okay. They key fobs have to be programmed when they are new. $60 seems a little bit stiff considering that this is only a 5 minute job with the WiTech.

Thats if the WiTech will work with his truck and if the service folks are willing to give it a try lol. I’ve talked to quite a few dealers around here and they all said that the cutoff for the Wi-Tech was 2009 rams. My local dealer was willing to give it a shot for free (they’re some chill guys down there). Besides the fact that they could only get into my PCM and not any other modules, they still seemed completely shocked that they could connect to anything older than an ‘09.

I bet since he has an 08 the dealers will have more luck connecting to other modules than I did, but at least in my experience many dealers don’t seem to realize late 3rd gens are compatible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Gary Middleton

Gary Middleton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just remembered i had to give the guy the code to use to program the keyfob... a video i saw on you tube once it was done was to have chirped, has to be inside not outside

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just remembered i had to give the guy the code to use to program the keyfob... a video i saw on you tube once it was done was to have chirped, has to be inside not outside
I don't know why they are having problems connecting to older trucks. I have zero issues. If I'm feeling nostalgic I will pull the Star Scan out of the box and wait for it to boot up like an old desktop with Windows 95.

The WiTech works as the standard scan too for most vehicles all the way back to the 2004 HB (Durango).

The WiTech can also be used for vehicles that originally required the DRB-III by using the DRB-III Emulator. The emulator actually works pretty well. I still have a Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista that I use to run the emulator almost exclusively.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
I don't know why they are having problems connecting to older trucks. I have zero issues. If I'm feeling nostalgic I will pull the Star Scan out of the box and wait for it to boot up like an old desktop with Windows 95.

The WiTech works as the standard scan too for most vehicles all the way back to the 2004 HB (Durango).

The WiTech can also be used for vehicles that originally required the DRB-III by using the DRB-III Emulator. The emulator actually works pretty well. I still have a Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista that I use to run the emulator almost exclusively.

I’m glad you confirm what I’ve been thinking. All these dealers basically say I’m SOL cuz “The WiTechs don’t support that old of a vehicle and our StarScan is broke”. The few dealers that do have a StarScan don’t seen to know how to use it

I think FCA might’ve skimped out on really training folks with these things, or at least specifying the model years supported. I couldn’t imagine the nightmare of a 3rd gen owner taking their truck to the dealer for an electronic-related failure and the dealer just saying “we cant help you”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Gary Middleton

Gary Middleton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The guy from keyless2Go said that guy should have been inside the truck when programming it and he wasn't.... so now i have to go out to kings dodge at the kings automall in mason ohio and have them re-program my fob

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The guy from keyless2Go said that guy should have been inside the truck when programming it and he wasn't.... so now i have to go out to kings dodge at the kings automall in mason ohio and have them re-program my fob
Yes, you do have to be inside the vehicle to program a new key fob because you have to insert the new key/fob into the ignition cylinder. If he did not do that then it will not work. Since you have one key that is programmed to the truck you should be able to use the self-programming method to program your new FOBIK.

Now, if you want to try the self-programming method, here are the steps:

Insert the original key into the Ignition and TURN it to the RUN position.

Remove the original Programmed Key within 3-15 seconds and TURN the Ignition back to the OFF/LOCK position and remove the key.

Insert the new key/fob into the Ignition and turn it to the RUN position. After 10 seconds the vehicle will chime to indicate successful entry into Programming Mode.

Turn the new key/fob to the OFF/LOCK position to exit programming mode.