I have a ******* brain buster, and I need some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rambitch01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8 gas
my 2001 2500 (5.9L v8) has an electrical issue (?) and I need help to diagnose this before I throw more money and parts at the problem. It wouldn't start but was throwing bad PCM codes so I ordered a new PCM and had it flashed to my vin. Installed the new PCM and it threw no bus and bad instrument cluster codes, so I got a new instrument cluster, installed it with the new PCM and it threw no bus again. I swapped it back to my old PCM, and was able to jump start it and drove it around the block. It ran better than it ever had, but when I let it idle in my driveway after about 7 minutes it died. After that it's cranking but wont start. I'm going to buy a new battery in the morning to eliminate that from the diagnosis. But I'm ****** here, Idk what the issue is, and with no power to the ODO i'm not getting any new codes to look up. The closest shop to me who can even try to diagnose the issue is a 50+ mile tow, and even with that there is no guarantee it'll get fixed. My feeling is there's a faulty ground somewhere, but I also am not experienced at all when it comes to electrical issues. Can anyone help a ***** out and throw some ideas my way? I really need this truck to start and drive reliably.

Eclektq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 ***-Apart
Think you're right tracking down bad ground......Starting with the Negs coming off the batteries....Can't tell you how many times I've seen them look pristine,
But when you split the insulation, Greener than a **** heads teeth. Good luck!!