I learned today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
...that Bondo Glazing & Spot Putty will soften & dissolve Rustoleum Universal Primer.

So much for "Use on metal, wood, fiberglass and sanded primer and paint."

Luckily I was just using it to fill some pinholes in the primer coat on a 3D printed piece I'm working on.

-K

Kernal Clink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
Probably would have been fine once the Bondo/putty cured.

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Probably would have been fine once the Bondo/putty cured.

This was fresh putty going on top of the primer, so the cure status of the putty wasn't the issue. The primer was cured. I was filling some pinholes in the primer coat and it dissolved under the putty. It did harden back up as the putty cured, but it made a mess of the surface. Had to sand it all back down again and re-prime. I used regular Rustoleum Auto Primer this time and, while it's currently still drying, the surface looks much better, smooth and even. I've used the universal primer on 3d printed plastic before with good results, but never in combination with the spot putty. Just one more learning curve on the twisty back road that is life! :)

-K

Last edited:

Kernal Clink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
Gotcha. What you typed and what I read were two different things. My mistake.