I Live in SW Arizona. When Might Be the Best Time of Year to Shop For a Used 5th Wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
On an RV forum I belong to, their bot censored out the middle of the word "wristwatch" because of the order of the 5th thru 8th letter.

Gotta love a poor web dev who is new to regex patterns and gets it wrong half the time or just blindly resorts to a generic "contains(substring)" :banghead:

Censorship: a lesson on how to drive your normal users nuts, and force the users that are nuts to get more creative.

It doesn't work so that begs the question, how long do we all put up with this nonsense?

MTDewX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
to bad. I just drove down from Montana to pick one up and drag it back, so the customer can consign his here. that would have saved me a trip haha.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I have found that a lot of the manufacturer websites ask you to pick the part of the country where you will be buying the RV - Midwest, Southeast, etc. The difference I have found is that the same models are not offered in both the Southwest and the Southeast. For example: I am looking at the Forest River 26RBS. It is offered in the SE, but not the SW. Matter of fact, there are none in the size range I am looking at with a rear bath. Apparently, in the SW you need to do your business in the front half of the unit.
Most travel trailer/5ers are built in Indiana. Forest River also builds them in CA. The only difference between the 2 Forest River units is sometimes the rear wall construction. They are not building them special based on the region. They are built based on how the dealer orders them.

yrraljguthrie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque5.7
The rhetoric about the dealer asking a buyer to pick the part of the country their RV is to be used in is just that. Just a line they use to seem like they have the buyer's interest in mind. I'm not sure why anyone will repeat anything a dealer or salesperson says as correct. Even the "good" or "fair" dealers and salespeople have lines they use to get a person's interest and push them to buy. If a person repeats what their salesperson has told them as truth then that person has been conned. Even the likable and basically truthful salespeople use rhetoric that is learned and its purpose is simply to get a sale.

Fulltilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
In Arizona, when might be the best time of year to purchase a good used 5th wheel? And, from a dealership or privately?
I have bought 5th wheels on both sides of the Canada/Us border, different times of the year. I don't believe time of year factors in unless you look snow belt or Quebec/Ontario late Oct/early Nov where a dealer has left over inventory especially small dealers that haven't the money & the snow is on it's way. I have seen some amazing deals through Ritchie Brothers selling on behalf of the above ! Your money will get you further in Canada in this case ! I believe that individual private seller circumstances will net you some great deals. Be aware of what you buy, regardless of brand or model, I have seen **** in all of them, worked extensively on them, roofs, frame breaks, etc.. We had a very popular 40' model that was 26 months old, 6 pt automatic leveling, went across Canada & the USA over 10 months, 30,000 miles, got home one tire cupped in the last 800 miles, frame had twisted, spring hangers bent, one broken. If you are good with your hands, have the time, then look for good bones [frame, axles, top shelf tires, & roof] the rest is just dressing ! We repaired the 40', sold it & bought a much older[2008] war horse with a massive frame, had modern looking fiberglass caps front & rear, 3m 1080 graphics, gloss fiberglass side walls, 110psi rated 8 stud wheel rims, 5.5kw genset...I installed a new roof, air bag suspension, all new furniture, etc., paid 18K, put another 4K into it. I do miss the leveling system, but nothing else.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Most travel trailer/5ers are built in Indiana. Forest River also builds them in CA. The only difference between the 2 Forest River units is sometimes the rear wall construction. They are not building them special based on the region. They are built based on how the dealer orders them.
Not strictly true. As I said, the Forest River Salem 26RBS is not available if you are looking at their floor plans for the Southwest page, but it is available if you look at their floor plans for the Midwest page. Their Wildwood 26RBS, which is exactly the same floor plan, GVWR, and options is the same. It's available in the Midwest but not the Southwest. This means that if I go to a dealer in Arizona neither of those is a model I can order through them because Forest River doesn't ship either of them to that region, but I can through a dealer in Arkansas or Nebraska

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Tre
The rhetoric about the dealer asking a buyer to pick the part of the country their RV is to be used in is just that. Just a line they use to seem like they have the buyer's interest in mind. I'm not sure why anyone will repeat anything a dealer or salesperson says as correct. Even the "good" or "fair" dealers and salespeople have lines they use to get a person's interest and push them to buy. If a person repeats what their salesperson has told them as truth then that person has been conned. Even the likable and basically truthful salespeople use rhetoric that is learned and its purpose is simply to get a sale.
True, don't listen to a salesperson...RV, truck, house, whatever.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Not strictly true. As I said, the Forest River Salem 26RBS is not available if you are looking at their floor plans for the Southwest page, but it is available if you look at their floor plans for the Midwest page. Their Wildwood 26RBS, which is exactly the same floor plan, GVWR, and options is the same. It's available in the Midwest but not the Southwest. This means that if I go to a dealer in Arizona neither of those is a model I can order through them because Forest River doesn't ship either of them to that region, but I can through a dealer in Arkansas or Nebraska
Like I said most are built in Indiana so living in AZ is no help since it's the farthest point from where they're made so transport costs come into play. They can only haul one at a time unlike some small trailers where they can flatbed 3 at a time. I'm sure Alaska is no better.
Good luck but I'm afraid you'll have to travel.
You could always purchase out of state and have a transporter deliver it but the dealer may leave it up to you to find that service.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Spring time is when I see a lot of them for sale.

man n black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
RVs built for the heat or for the cold aren't going to be any different. Heat and cold both require the same things mostly insulation. A particular RV brand is either going to be well insulated or not. Look for a brand advertised for the winter weather and it should be well insulated. I don't think any RV manufacturer is going to make different models for different weather. Also, a used RV bought at a dealer is most likely not going to have any warranty. Again, where ever you buy an RV make sure the AC is on and has been for hours and is doing its job. Even if you buy it in the winter. Ditto the ******. Stick your nose into the ****** and see if you can smell ammonia. Go outside and open the panel where the ****** is located. If so the ****** is leaking. Get a non-contact (laser or infrared) thermometer. Take the temperature by pointing at the wall inside in various positions. The temperature will vary from place to place depending on how well insulated. Also measure the temperature of the air coming out of an AC vent. Also how cold the ****** and freezer is. Look at the wear on the tires. If you have a crew cab pickup with a 5.5 foot bed it going to be problematic to tow a fifth wheel. Even if you get a sliding hitch that will work in that short bed you are likely to dent the cab of the pickup at some time when turning a sharp corner.
^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

Manufacturers would be completely bonkers to build different products for different regions of the country on the same assembly line. Thats just bad financial policy.

As I have stated in other posts, probably the bones (wiring etc) of the trailer; just as in assembly line automobile and boat production, is all the same below the paint and depends on how the dealer ordered the unit as to what you may or may not get in your market.

I think what the OP is alluding to is snowbirding. Probably best to watch price fluctuations in the local market and I would bet that come the end of winter in the Southwest that used TT's and RV's go on sale there as the snowbirds move back north for the NA summer.

Don't settle for second choices. Remember its your dollars you are giving away to a dealer or private party. If you're in the market for an RV or trailer find THE EXACT one you want (wherever it may be) and buy it. TT's and RV's are easy to move around or have moved around the country.

As far as when to buy..that depends on your local dealers or sellers. Look to see if they have sales and as some have said before me, look into prior year models. We bought our Cougar as such...Last years model (at the time), never ever lived in..was completely brand new. We sold after several years / miles of use for the same price we bought and so it turned into a win win for us.

YMMV,
Ch

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Don't settle for second choices. Remember its your dollars you are giving away to a dealer or private party. If you're in the market for an RV or trailer find THE EXACT one you want (wherever it may be) and buy it. TT's and RV's are easy to move around or have moved around the country.

YMMV,
Ch
That may work for one that will be used for camping, but there is no such thing as getting exactly what you want if you plan on full-timing it (living it in, no house or apartment as a home base). It will always be a trade-off between almost-but-not-quite, and close enough. It has almost the floor plan you're looking for, but you want a rear bathroom. So you find one that is very similar with a rear bathroom, but it only comes with a 10 cu-ft fridge instead of a 12....or you can't get a king bed...or something else.

I full-timed for a long time. I have the requisite experience. :cool:

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
You can do your own research. I know several people that have bought 2022 leftover units in the past couple months for under invoice. Lots are packed with units, manufacturers have ceased production and the used market is flooded. All those covidians who bought during covid, that thought RV'ing was for them realized it's not.
This is what we saw when we were in the market for an upgrade. 19-22 models were priced through the roof because of the C19/pandemic, they were being bought up and RV manufacturers could not keep up with the demand. Now the market is flooded. Prices are going to fluctuate....

man n black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
That may work for one that will be used for camping, but there is no such thing as getting exactly what you want if you plan on full-timing it (living it in, no house or apartment as a home base). It will always be a trade-off between almost-but-not-quite, and close enough. It has almost the floor plan you're looking for, but you want a rear bathroom. So you find one that is very similar with a rear bathroom, but it only comes with a 10 cu-ft fridge instead of a 12....or you can't get a king bed...or something else.

Lolz....

Totally disagree. I think what is important is deciding and ranking what features you want or need in a new TT or RV. If you can fit them all in at your purchase price..awesome!!

If not, then you'll have to make concessions. In our experience searching for a new TT or RV to replace our Cougar, we found that most manufacturers base all of thier models on a similar floorplan, adding things like islands or corner couches or rear bathrooms to differentiate different model notations.

So having decided on a ranking scale what we wanted / needed, we went out and did a pretty exhaustive search. A rear bathroom was high but farther down the list of needs than a reliable drivetrain or manufacturer with reputable quality control practices, so we passed on a several models with the Cummins 650hp engine or manufactureres known to have poor quality control in favor of our CAT powered Country Coach without the rear bathroom that had most if not all of the features we wanted. We also looked at several brand new RVs with rear bathroom, and although money was not a huge factor for us, they were about 3X more than we felt comfortable spending for little more than a new vehicle warranty.

Honestly we apply that to all of our big ticket item purchases. Having done that we have often gotten alot more features at the price we were willing to pay and it has worked out well for us at least.

Ch