Indicators acting weird

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Picinisco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Cummins
My indicators are acting weird. I flip on the turn signal and the light on the dash flashes in the direction chosen like it should then it will stop flashing and start flashing in the opposite direction. So I suspect the flasher unit/relay. My question is "where the f@#$ is it located. Sounds like under the dash but dont see it.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Isn't like the old days, there is no relay with a set of contacts (hasn't been since the early/mid 90's at least). All electronic. Controlled by your cluster. From the factory service manual:

The electromechanical transducer generates beep tones and chime tones, while the electromechanical relay generates
click tones to emulate the sounds associated with conventional turn signal and hazard warning flasher operation.
The microprocessor-based EMIC (Electro Mechanical Instrument Cluster) utilizes electronic chime request messages received from other modules in
the vehicle over the Programmable Communications Interface (PCI) data bus network along with hard wired inputs
to monitor many sensors and switches throughout the vehicle. In response to those inputs, the circuitry and programming
of the EMIC allow it to control the audible outputs that are produced through its on-board transducer and
relay.
The EMIC is capable of producing the following audible outputs:
² Slow Rate Repetitive Click - Repeated “click” tones that are issued at a slow rate of about 50 clicks per
minute.
² Fast Rate Repetitive Click - Repeated “click” tones that are issued at a fast rate of more than about 100
clicks per minute.
² Fixed Duration Beep - A short, sharp, single tactile “beep” tone.
² Single Chime Tone - A single “chime” tone.
² Slow Rate Repetitive Chime - Repeated “chime” tones that are issued at a slow rate of about 50 chimes per
minute.
² Fast Rate Repetitive Chime - Repeated “chime” tones that are issued at a fast rate of about 180 chimes per
minute.
Hard wired circuitry connects the EMIC and the various chime warning system switch and sensor inputs to their
modules and to each other through the electrical system of the vehicle. These hard wired circuits are integral to
several wire harnesses, which are routed throughout the vehicle and retained by many different methods. These
circuits may be connected to each other, to the vehicle electrical system and to the EMIC through the use of a
combination of soldered splices, splice block connectors, and many different types of wire harness terminal connectors
and insulators. Refer to the appropriate wiring information. The wiring information includes wiring diagrams,
proper wire and connector repair procedures, further details on wire harness routing and retention, as well as pinout
and location views for the various wire harness connectors, splices and grounds.
The EMIC chime warning system circuits and components cannot be adjusted or repaired. If the EMIC circuitry, the
on-board transducer or the relay are damaged or faulty, the EMIC unit must be replaced.

² Turn Signal/Hazard Warning Flasher Emulation - The EMIC relay will generate repetitive clicks at a slow
rate to emulate an electromechanical flasher when the turn signal or hazard warning system are operating.
The EMIC relay will generate repetitive clicks at a fast rate to indicate that the right or left turn signal are
operating with one or more bulbs inoperative. In either case, the clicks will continue until the turn signal and
hazard warning systems are turned off.

However, it is more likely that your problem lies in your multifunction switch (turn signal stalk):

spacer.gif

e392872a54464ce89ebd051426384729_490.jpg

Have your wipers or high beams experienced any erratic operation or just the blinkers?

OP
OP
Picinisco

Picinisco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Cummins
Oh for a much simpler life. Seems like just just the turn signals but not had much use of wipers of lights of late.

Eddie S

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
When that happened to me it was the turn signal stalk as pictured above.
before i replaced the bad part that ***** jumping back and forth from right to left almost killed me a few times when cars would pull out in front of me..... SMH!