Insane fan noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krakaman24

2018 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
Hey all! I've got a problem with some ridiculous noise coming from what I think is my fan. My truck has been doing this forever and I can't seem to figure out what it is. When around other Cummins none make this amount of noise. Mine is definitely abnormal.

My truck sounds literally like a jet engine that gets more intense with my RPMs. It seems like it is fan noise. It's so bad that when driving into my neighborhood I get funny looks from people thinking I'm doing mach 3 down the street. I can't even hear the low rumble of my EPA governed diesel engine.

Nothing effects it. Hot/cold engine, hot/cold outside temps, or speed. It's always consistent with RPMs which leads me to link it to the fan. I can't hear myself think inside my truck due to the noise. It's been driving me nuts.

Anyone have any ideas? What should I be looking for? I have a video recording the noise I'll try to post.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
krakaman24

krakaman24

2018 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
Looks like Youtube is the only way I can get a video up.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Sounds like your fan clutch is frozen. You could use and obd scanner that can do real time monitoring to check it. (AlfaOBD is a good one)

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
krakaman24

krakaman24

2018 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
Sounds like your fan clutch is frozen. You could use and obd scanner that can do real time monitoring to check it. (AlfaOBD is a good one)

I'm all set up with Alfa. What stats/settings would I be looking at?

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
In the Engine module:
Engine rpm
Radiator Fan speed rpm
Desired pwm Radiator Fan PWM %

If Engine RPM == Radiator Fan rpm it is locked up. Fan speed should be 100-%PWM or % PWM (Don't remember which offhand) of engine rpm. I.e. at 1000rpm the fan should be around 60%.

Make sure hvac is turned off as ac can command increase fan lockup.

OP
OP
krakaman24

krakaman24

2018 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
In the Engine module:
Engine rpm
Radiator Fan speed rpm
Desired pwm Radiator Fan PWM %

If Engine RPM == Radiator Fan rpm it is locked up. Fan speed should be 100-%PWM or % PWM (Don't remember which offhand) of engine rpm. I.e. at 1000rpm the fan should be around 60%.

Make sure hvac is turned off as ac can command increase fan lockup.

You are awesome! Thanks for that. Honestly don't know why I didn't think of the clutch. I only know enough to usually get me into trouble. I can fix anything it's the diagnosing that gets me.

Might just throw a new one in tomorrow. It's been doing this well over a year I just haven't had the time to deal with it.

OP
OP
krakaman24

krakaman24

2018 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L

New fan clutch first thing this morning and now......peace and quiet!! Thanks again @lpennock!

Worst part was paying for the clutch instead of waiting a month for a dealer appointment for a warranty repair. Much faster and convenient to do it myself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990