Install factory steps. Think I screwed up...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rctoyguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I watched a couple of videos on installing the OEM side steps and decided to go for it. Bought them yesterday and this afternoon thought I'd go ahead and get started installing them.

Holy sweet mother of all that is good in the world.... crimping down the "pop-rivet-like" nuts is insane. I got about 1 full turn (instructions call for 3.5) and that. was. all. I. could. turn.

Now I have 1 nut half in (and bent) so I'm kinda lost as to what to try next.
nut1.jpg

nut2.jpg

I guess it got cocked to one side as i was trying to tighten it down - possibly what made it so difficult (?)

I'm open to suggestions on what to do about fixing this - do I borrow an impact wrech or something and give this one another shot, or try to find a way to dig it out, and then how can I buy just one of these to replace it?

Should they really be THAT difficult?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
pictures don't work for me.

And no, they shouldn't be THAT difficult. Only a normal amount of ass should be applied to tighten them up.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Remove that nut zert. get a hold of amp research backing plates and use those to install yoru boards, will give more support to the rocker panel anyway and better design.

OP
OP
R

rctoyguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How can I remove this one? Should I try to bend the lip up enough to push it the rest of the way into the hole and just let it fall inside? Rattle city?

nadesico25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
They are a pain to get out. You can try to beat off with a chisel or maybe drill out. But far as them being hard to turn you need to put a light coating of oil on the nusert before you install trust me makes a huge difference. I made the mistake on the first one then went back and reread the instructions. When done use a little brake clean to wash oil off before installing steps. Hope this helps some.

OP
OP
R

rctoyguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know it said to use lube, I think it said soap/water mix.. Anyway, you just lube the threads on the bolt that is used to insert/spread the nut? Makes that much difference?

MechEngr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Dodge Ram, SLT, Crew Cab, Lone Star Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lube does make that much difference. The riv-nuts certainly are not fun or a good way to mount. 2 years after I installed my oem sidesteps with these riv-nuts, they began rattling like crazy, and I discovered cracking at those mount holes. Welded the cracks and brackets to address the issue.

OP
OP
R

rctoyguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the jacked up one out, and installed all 4 down that side in about 10 minutes (lube is the trick - but then again, isn't it always LOL)
Now, the one that I messed up may not be usable. Please tell me there is a way to buy just one of these things instead of having to buy the entire hardware pack at ~$30 to get that one nut.
Is this something a Lowe's, or Home Depot would have? Looks pretty specialized to me.

nadesico25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You can check ebay but I think you still have to get the kit though.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nut serts or rivet nuts can be bought many places. Buy the kit only as a last resort. Call a dealer they might have an "extra". Fastenal should have them. If you have a local Accessory shop that does installs check with them.

thegerb50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lube does make that much difference. The riv-nuts certainly are not fun or a good way to mount. 2 years after I installed my oem sidesteps with these riv-nuts, they began rattling like crazy, and I discovered cracking at those mount holes. Welded the cracks and brackets to address the issue.

Hey can you be more specific or may be post some pictures to describe your repair. I'm battling the same problem and would love some guidance