Cam install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramallan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Im currently changing the head gaskets on my ram 1500 and i decided to change the cam and internals since i got all this **** apart. My planned mods are fbo and cam kit, later down the road i’ll get them ported and bore/stroke the block. I’ll also be getting the 8hp70 trans (4.11 gears converter)eventually. As of now i have 6.4 intake and shorty headers(getting long tubes next year), What cam set up should i run now to get me closer to 12 second 1/4 mile with those future mods.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Im currently changing the head gaskets on my ram 1500 and i decided to change the cam and internals since i got all this **** apart. My planned mods are fbo and cam kit, later down the road i’ll get them ported and bore/stroke the block. I’ll also be getting the 8hp70 trans (4.11 gears converter)eventually. As of now i have 6.4 intake and shorty headers(getting long tubes next year), What cam set up should i run now to get me closer to 12 second 1/4 mile with those future mods.
How many threads do you think you need to start on this subject. Where in hell are you getting your info from,you don't need anything deeper then at most 3.92's with an 8 speed,in fact your 3.55's will work perfectly fine with the 8 speeds stump pulling 4.71 first gear.To put it into perspective you damn near need 5.00:1 rear gears with your 5/6 speed rfe to match the same final drive ratio you have with the 8 speed and 3.21's.You go to low with the 8 speed and first gear basically becomes useless. 3.55's and the 8 speed in first gear are equilevent to running 5.50 rear gears with your rfe transmission.What you'll spend re-gearing can be put towards an 8 speed swap,and you'll gain way more tire spinning torque.The biggest benefit to the 8 speed is it's gear ratio's and how fast it'll shift in comparision to your rfe,plus you don't have to drive it with an egg under your foot,you drive that rfe wrong,and it won't last a week
To get final drive ratio,you multiply your transmission ratios by your rear end ratio's. We'll leave tires out of the equation for now,but a shorter tire adds to the final drive ratio,while taller tires decrease it,but that's a moot point for now