Installing motive 4.56's this weekend, have a few questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Just wondering if you guys went with oem backlash specs or something else? I looked on motives website and searched here but came up with nothing. Ive also read in a few different threads that the axle housing needs to be "clearanced" to fit the ring. Is this a myth or the truth?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
I assume you are going to tackle this yourself, Hope you have some big Tools! There is plenty of literature out there on how to paint it up and what the proper pattern should look like and the gear sets usually come with all the specs and procedure for the experienced Tech to read. That said I didn't pay much attention when I had mine done, It was worth every penny of 98$ an hour for me and the Gear center only charged me for 14 hours labour (4x4) everything else except for tires and Custom Cat-Back on my Truck is/was done my myself. So sorry I am not much help for Ya, Good luck on the Install, it is definately an 11 outta 10 difficulty wise!

Last edited:

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2 big things here:

1 The changes of the OE backlash being correct with another set of gears, same odds as winning the lottery. Backlash must be set for each set of gears. This is NOT the simpliest of processes.

2 The ring gear needs a couple teeth clearanced to clear the cross pin. I've never heard of having to do any modifications to the housing. That's a scary thought!

OP
OP
moparman

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
2 big things here:

1 The changes of the OE backlash being correct with another set of gears, same odds as winning the lottery. Backlash must be set for each set of gears. This is NOT the simpliest of processes.

2 The ring gear needs a couple teeth clearanced to clear the cross pin. I've never heard of having to do any modifications to the housing. That's a scary thought!

I wasnt planning to set back to oe specs for backlash, for some reason i opened the box for the gears and theres no paperwork with a backlash spec. When i did my search, i came up with bits of pieces of something having to be clearanced to fit.

I assume you are going to tackle this yourself, Hope you have some big Tools! There is plenty of literature out there on how to paint it up and what the proper pattern should look like and the gear sets usually come with all the specs and procedure for the experienced Tech to read. That said I didn't pay much attention when I had mine done, It was worth every penny of 98$ an hour for me and the Gear center only charged me for 14 hours labour (4x4) everything else except for tires and Custom Cat-Back on my Truck is/was done my myself. So sorry I am not much help for Ya, Good luck on the Install, it is definately an 11 outta 10 difficulty wise!

Ive got all the tools to do the swap, i have the tool for the adjusting collars as well. Im juat trying to get all my ducks in a row before i start the tear down tomorrow. I was going to pay somebody to do it but cant justify it when i have all the tools and dont have the time to waot since the pinion bearing is cooked already. Motives website isnt very helpful with the products they carry

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You should be good with the ring gear clearing the housing. The 06+ had the clearance issues

OP
OP
moparman

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
You should be good with the ring gear clearing the housing. The 06+ had the clearance issues

Ok thanks, found the backlash specs so im good to go now