a few cummins VGT turbo removal questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swoodman23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
hi guys,

first post here, have used the forum for research previously and theres lots of good info here. IF this is posted in the wrong place, sorry about that, just lemme know.

I have 2013 ram 2500 - 6.7 cummins. The truck is totally stock. I already have a race car that I dump all my money into, the truck just needs to tow things to places. upload_2020-10-28_16-27-13.gif

So, I appear to be at the end of my VGT turbo. I have not pulled the actuator off to see if the arm moves free or not, but I am getting what seems to be the usual turbo-dying codes.

I'd like to replace the VGT turbo with a fixed geometry turbo, and Im looking at the BD iron horn kits. I have found lots of threads and research on this, just deciding if Im going 363 or 364.

So, I have a few questions that I may have missed but I have not seen solid answers on...

1. As mentioned, my truck is stock, all emissions stuff is still there, and if I dont have to mess with it, I dont really want to. All the threads ive seen discussing the BD iron horn kits are being installed on "Deleted" trucks. Id like to confirm that I can install this kit with all the stuff still in place? the kit says the manifold will bolt up to the EGR pieces, but not sure if still having the DPF will hurt anything

2. I understand this switch will require "custom tuning". Im not at all new to building things, but totally new to this kind of tuning. my question is - will the truck be able to run OK after the install and is the tuning just so codes dont pop up? or is the tuning necessary to make the truck run right with the non-VGT turbo. Also, is this something I need to find a local diesel shop and have them do?

any info is appreciated.

thanks!
scott

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You want it retain all factory tuning and exhaust brake? Stay with the VGT, run the EB ALL the time.

As I remember, the BD kit doesn’t hook up your factory EB, although I’m fuzzy on it certaintie.

OP
OP
S

swoodman23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
thanks for reply... the BD kit would remove the factory EB, if I want an EB I could put an inline one in, but im honestly not worried about that...

I can do the BD kit for $1600. replacing VGT is $3000ish? plus the VGTs will fail again at some point, thats my main reasoning for getting rid of it...

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
As far as tuning goes you are going to have to find a good tuning shop to work with on this one. Preferably one that has done this type of swap before. The air / fuel maps will need to change between the VGT and fixed turbo's. The tune will also have to take into account emissions intact and suppress any codes. You will need a custom tuning platform that your tuning shop recommends since most shops work on only one platform. The tuning hardware will run $600 - $1000. The custom tuning may be in the $600 - $900 range. If your setup is not something they have done before you can expect to have some trial and error. You will load a tune and report any issues. They will modify the tune and send you a new file to try.

It would seem like buying the BD kit, tuner platform and custom tunes will be about the same as the replacing the stock VGT turbo. You will be wed to your tuning shop so choose carefully. If you have to change shops you will most likely have to start over again with the tuning. Additionally, you will on your won with any engine / performance issues with your truck during travels. Most dealers won't touch a tuned truck for engine issues. Independent shops may be reluctant as well since they won't know what they are getting in to.