Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTGTS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hate it for ya on your harness , for what it's worth you'll enjoy the OEM KIT , it's a breeze to install ! Mine went pretty well , with the exception of the lack of active grid lines for me
I'm at the point to where I think my 1500 ST trim level is missing something electrically to show the active grid. ? Or its an internal issue with my camera .?

My 1500 never showed the lines either, I never cared though.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I probably wouldn't care , but I test drove one with it and now I want it LOL , should've never put it in reverse !

piper618

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI® MDS VVT eTorque Engine
Ran the main harness from tailgate to front engine compartment. Used my buddy body shop lift had it done in an hour. I am at the dealership now getting tha sales code flashed for integrated brake controller and while here the rear camera. Hopefully I'll have the camera working tonight fingers crossed

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
My cell phone died so I won't be stopping by as frequently until I find a replacement. Need one before I fly out Monday for work. arrgh.

At least with that yellow wire they taped it back. Best part was the service managers answer of we have done plenty of these and never spliced the wiring inside cab.
If you notice in the directions, it actually tells you to tape the yellow wire back at the new plug at the foot well. Take a look in the schematic I did, and you will see that the wire isn't used/connected to anything on the other side of that plug, so there isn't any harm with pinning it in the connector anyway.

@MTGTS. Sorry to hear you moved on from using Jeepguy's harness, I really thought you were going to have it licked for sure. Not sure what happened, but I will send you a pM.

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@ Mpgrimm2 the unused Yellow wire is considerably shorter than the wires that are intended to go in the connector @ the Cab end of the " camera body harness " A just so you know , buddy !

You sir are spot on ! and if you want to write it up that way , I think it would be fine because the connecting Radio harness is plenty long , aprox 18" longer than is required , at least it was 4 me

piper618

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Rebel
Engine
What a day at the dealer, got there about 10am and at 11:50 I asked service manager what's the hold up. The information was sent to Chrysler to update the vin with the two sales codes and they didn't receive a responds. The tech came out and told me this happens and hopefully within an hour they will see the updated file sent back so he can update the vehicle computer. The manager gave me a vehicle so I can grab lunch and when I returned the truck was done. Guess what because of the delay and that it took over three hours it cost me $0.00 and my TCM and PCM was updated also.

This evening I was able to remove the PDC and removed pink/yellow for park view circuit. Spliced the red wire to the circuit and heat shrink. See pictures

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 258

piper618

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Rebel
Engine
After I removed the pin from connector making it easy to splice and heat shrink without having to cut the pink / yellow wire

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 251

piper618

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Rebel
Engine
The BCM was the toughest part of the install by far. I couldn't get my big A in there so I removed the front seat so I could lay on my back to get up in there. I removed the connector C5 and striped the tape so to expose the wires and remove the pin 45 to splice the purple wire and reinstall. Oh did I mention soldering upside down is fun and the solder burn on my neck was fun too. I packed it in for the night and will tackle the radio connector in the morning.

I also for got to mention the sales code flash for the integrated brake controller works and after the rear camera code was flashed every time I am in reverse the radio screen turns blue even thought the install wasn't finished.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 248

piper618

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Rebel
Engine
Showing half of the connector removed and I removed the ORG/DB wire from connector to make splicing simple.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 247

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Piper,
Since you seem so adept at getting the pins out, is it possible to do a mini write up post that I can reference later. Perhaps you can throw the appropriate pictures for the connectors in the post.

Great pictures by the way.
Here's one I did for the old thread.

Attachments

• i315_locks_brake.jpg
    i315_locks_brake.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

piper618

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Rebel
Engine
Piper,
Since you seem so adept at getting the pins out, is it possible to do a mini write up post that I can reference later. Perhaps you can throw the appropriate pictures for the connectors in the post.

Great pictures by the way.
Here's one I did for the old thread.

Mpgrimm
I will work on getting that write up put together with photos once you understand the technique it pretty simple.

piper618

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Rebel
Engine
This morning I started to work on the radio. You would think this was the easiest part just three wires to install. I know I saw someone post that the three wire location in the OEM photo is wrong. Well I am a believer as I did what the OEM directions said and depopulated the three wires and replaced them with three from the body harness. Well I depopulated the wires and taped them back. Inserted the two wires and bare wire. Put everything back and reconnected the battery and started the truck. The radio had no power and black screen. Oh boy what the F. Disconnected the battery and pulled radio back out and took three wires out and scratched my head as I didn't remember how the three depopulated wires were in the three slots. Thank god for 70chall440 posting of pictures of the connector behind the radio as I used this to reconnect the three wires.
I then looked through the forum and saw the three wires are installed on the opposite side of the connector which are empty locations. Installed the three wires and button up the install and woohoo camera works with lines and the lines move with the steering wheel.

I stole this photo from this thread

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 124

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Glad to see it work out for someone 100%. Its been a while. And the lines work for you using the same 'AE' camera pn as RLK has?

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hate it for ya on your harness , for what it's worth you'll enjoy the OEM KIT , it's a breeze to install ! Mine went pretty well , with the exception of the lack of active grid lines for me
I'm at the point to where I think my 1500 ST trim level is missing something electrically to show the active grid. ? Or its an internal issue with my camera .?

MTGTS
Did you get my PM about the camera ?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@RLK,
Its not a trim level issue. Cptwing's 3500 was an ST. Several others have added camera to an st after swapping out for an RA2.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@RLK,
Its not a trim level issue. Cptwing's 3500 was an ST. Several others have added camera to an st after swapping out for an RA2.

I think you are correct! I'm @ a different dealer as I type to get a new FREE FLASH XAC code .
I spoke with a tech yesterday at this dealership and he's there go to guy on camera systems and electrical issues ( per the SVC mgr ) the tech said he has had issues in the past on Full Flash and validations going as expected and step one if any feature is lacking on anything that requires a FLASH , is to simply REFLASH ! This tech also gave me a name & ph. # to call for tech. Help for Official Mopar kits . ( I don't think I'm supposed to have this contact ) the tech I was talking to @ the dealership was on the clock and very busy .
So I call the guy & he told me in the last 2 months he has troubleshot NO GRID LINES ON DISPLAY TO THE CAMERA ON TWO DIFFERENT OCCASIONS OUT OF SIX ! I'm feeling pretty good on it being the camera now !

My troubleshooting has me @ this #1 REFLASH & VALIDATION. #2 NEW CAMERA . #3 RA2 5.0 Software update , (#3 is not likely )

@ Mpgrimm2, what cell phone did you end up going to ?

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@RLK,
LG G4, $3/mos for 24($72) with my legacy plan. Lg promotion until 7/31 for a free extra battery, charge cradle & leather back cover by mail.

By the way the last 2 letters on the pn's are the revision. Usually it shouldn't matter, i .e.

Camera: 56038978AE (my truck)
Camera: 56038978AF
Camera: 56038978AH (Piper & RLK's truck)
Camera: 56038978AI
Camera: 56038978AJ

Etc are all in theory the same compatible part as others have posted previously.

Last edited:

piper618

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Rebel
Engine
Glad to see it work out for someone 100%. Its been a while. And the lines work for you using the same 'AE' camera pn as RLK has?

I am shocked as you all, as I have read posts with problems with install, blue screen, no grid lines ect.. Other than the three wires behind the radio and those issues the install was pretty straight forward. The problems others had had with the connectors and depopulating I will take photos of how to remove the housing and how to release the plug and wire. Once you see how easy and quick it can be done you will have an ah haw moment

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brendo99