Instructions for adding factory remote start and trailer brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbird02

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had an easy time finding threads with the parts lists that I needed, but the programming was a bit harder. I have all parts and the recommended tools(security bypass cable, ODB reader and Alpha OBD). I am having a harder time determining the instructions specific to 2020 Ram 1500 Classic. I have gone through the sticky thread for Alpha ODB and it was rather overwhelming. I'm very technically capable, but what has me puzzled is how the classic seems to have special driections sprinkled in everywhere. Can any point me to the correct portion of the Alpha OBD threads, good thread in general or outside YouTube video or tutorial? TIA

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Trailer brake:
1. CBC Features:Trailer Tow Present
2. Cust.set.menu2: Trailer Selected CSM Present
3. Cust.set.menu2: Trailer Name CSM Present
4. Cust.set.menu2: Trailer Type CSM Present
5. P/T Chassis Net: ITBM/HWM Integrated Trailer Brake Module

OP
OP
C

cbird02

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got a response from the AlphaOBD developer confirming @crash68 comment. He did say that while the software update process is the same, the hardware may be different. I have not seen an install thread specific to 2020 Classic. I found videos for both remote start and trailer brake that I think will get me there for both projects even though they are non-classic DS models. The part I am getting conflicting information on is the location of the security module. Some threads state they could not find it for the classic. Can anyone confirm if the security bypass cable process is the same and if the plug-in is in the same location?

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
To late for you. And hindsight is always easier! No disrespect as you sound as though you have much more knowledge about computers then myself. This is really for those reading this thread. I also installed a factory brake controller in my Ram but went a different route, as me and computers DO NOT GET ALONG!!! I went to a company called Infotainment (in fact they have a lot of "stuff" for Rams). They had the controller, necessary wiring, and a chip as a package. Install the unit with their harness, put the chip into the OBD port, key on and done. Tested mine on road yesterday the car and trailer hooked up. Work perfect! Could choose type of trailer I was pulling & adjust "brake gain" as if it left the factory installed. Factory part, Factory location. Cost is not as inexpensive as hanging one under the dash. BUT that's what I did!

Last edited: