Instrument Cluster backlight won't turn off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slingeronline

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi V8
Have an issue with my wife's 2017 1500 Lonestar Edition. Just started within the past few months. When turning the truck off, the instrument cluster backlight would not turn off. (Typically it will turn off about 1 or 2 minutes after the truck is turned off. This drained the battery and we were initially thinking it was a battery issue until we discovered this issue.) When trying to diagnose/resolve the issue, I pulled a fuse and the instrument cluster turns off like it should now, however, the physical controls on the center dash no longer work. The controls on the touchscreen still function and can control the A/C, heated seats, park sensors, etc. Just the physical controls don't work. Has anyone else encountered this issue before?

GREG SCHNEIDER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had similar just happen to me. 2017 1500 bighorn with the larger EVIC add 8.4 UCONNECT. The radio did not turn off when I opened my door. The dash and the radio did not stop when the headlights turned off. Scanned the web, including here and tried some of the suggestions. First I tried the remote start - it did not work, BUT I noticed a red light flashed near the bottom of the speedo dial. Started and stopped with the key, radio turned off with the door!!! The dash lights stay on a freckle longer than the headlights - not sure if that was normal, but I'll take it. Probably go back on the fritz again, but I feel like my battery is safe for the night.

brawner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Did anybody find out what was making this happen my 13 started doing this and the killing my battery un hooked for 30 minutes and still doing it

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Greg wrote
First I tried the remote start - it did not work, BUT I noticed a red light flashed near the bottom of the speedo dial.

The Red light is a Security Light

One thing that you might try, look into your radios
Menu / Settings

check the shut down timers ?

brawner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
F7AC96F1-516D-4130-AD1C-C6F8BB42009E.jpegI pulled the fuse and like normal power is killed left it out for 30 minutes and it turns back on I have looked in to my settings and the only settings I find are for headlight delay and nothing about lights on the inside! 4 day in a row I come out to a dead battery!

mbross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm having this problem also. I just took the exact same picture. Did you solve it?

Other Details:

I noticed that pulling the f52 fuse stops a whining sound that accompanies the draining battery. This also stops the battery from draining.
I just had it to the dealership for this problem where they cleaned corrosion off of the negative battery pole and cable, replaced the battery sensor, and replaced the alternator as it was charging the battery at 15v.

And now it's doing the same thing again...I'm currently running the engine and will then pull that fuse for the night. I'll put it in to drive to work and then pull it when I park.

Last edited:

2015Ram3500Ricky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have an issue with my wife's 2017 1500 Lonestar Edition. Just started within the past few months. When turning the truck off, the instrument cluster backlight would not turn off. (Typically it will turn off about 1 or 2 minutes after the truck is turned off. This drained the battery and we were initially thinking it was a battery issue until we discovered this issue.) When trying to diagnose/resolve the issue, I pulled a fuse and the instrument cluster turns off like it should now, however, the physical controls on the center dash no longer work. The controls on the touchscreen still function and can control the A/C, heated seats, park sensors, etc. Just the physical controls don't work. Has anyone else encountered this issue before?
I had the same issue with my 2015 ram 3500 longhorn I pulled fuse F49 ics fuse and all works fine when running

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
There is a recall for this, I got the notice in the mail, unless there are 2 similar issues.

Sayisuggadaddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What’s the recall for?
I can’t take my truck to a dealer I deleted it and don’t want to here blah blah that’s why my cluster is on.
I deleted it over a year ago with no problems. I did remove the AC control module,the lights turn off after you lock the doors like normal but I have no AC lol. I’m going to the dealership tomorrow to pick up a new one to see if that’s the problem.

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
The recall entails updating the ESM (Electronic Shift Module) software. The letter I received stated that it should take 30 minutes. I have an appointment on Friday to get this done.

I had the instrument cluster remain on a few weeks ago. I removed the negative battery cable for a bit and the issue corrected itself. Hasn't happened since.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
The recall entails updating the ESM (Electronic Shift Module) software. The letter I received stated that it should take 30 minutes. I have an appointment on Friday to get this done.

I had the instrument cluster remain on a few weeks ago. I removed the negative battery cable for a bit and the issue corrected itself. Hasn't happened since.
This right here, they did mine without me knowing and I never had a issue, granted I only had it since November.

Sayisuggadaddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AC control Module!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2368.jpeg
    IMG_2368.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2364.jpeg
    IMG_2364.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2365.jpeg
    IMG_2365.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2366.jpeg
    IMG_2366.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2367.jpeg
    IMG_2367.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 15

kristimichele79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok what worked for me was unplugging the unconnect adapter. After unplugging everything went back to normal. Just a bit irritated I paid for the service and can't use it.

Firefighter131

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 v8
Ok what worked for me was unplugging the unconnect adapter. After unplugging everything went back to normal. Just a bit irritated I paid for the service and can't use it.
Hey how do you unplug the uconnect adapter for me to try this? Thanks so much !!