Integrated Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G Graham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I set the gain to 10.0 on the brake controller but that doesn't lock up the trailer brakes. It seems to just barely apply brakes. Tried moving the manual handle all the way left when moving and that does not lock the trailer wheels either.

I brought the truck and trailer to 2 trailer shops. Both shops put the trailer on a tester and were able to lock the wheels. They said the trailer was working fine.

They put the tester on the truck and the most it read was 5 volts. One shop said it should read 10 volts when the gain is maxed out.

The truck is set to "Light Electric". Wondering if "Heavy Electric" would help. If so, I haven't been able to figure out how to select "Heavy Electric" on the brake controller.

Any ideas?

Kfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it the factory controller?

What type of brake set up on the trailer?

What type of trailer?

Does it slow down at all just using the controller paddles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Setting the gain to 10.0 on my factory controller will hard lock the trailer brakes. Something is definitely up with yours.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
Were the brakes "set"? On my 5w I have to "set" the brakes when I hook up or they don't work properly. On my travel trailer I didn't have to, it was hook up and go.

This should be how to set the trailer brake type:
Adjusting GAIN

NOTE: This should only be performed in a traffic free environment at speeds of approximately 20–25 mph (30–40 km/h).
  1. Make sure the trailer brakes are in good working condition, functioning normally and properly adjusted. See your trailer dealer if necessary.

2. Hook up the trailer and make the electrical connections according to the trailer manufacturer's instructions.

3. When a trailer with electric/EOH brakes is plugged in, the trailer connected message should appear in the instrument cluster display (if the connection is not recognized by the ITBM, braking functions will not be available), the GAIN setting will illuminate and the correct type of trailer must be selected from the instrument cluster display options.

4. Push the UP or DOWN button on the steering wheel until “TRAILER TOW” appears on the screen.

5. Push the RIGHT arrow on the steering wheel to enter “TRAILER TOW”.

6. Push the UP or DOWN buttons until the Trailer Brake Type appears on the screen.

7. Push the RIGHT arrow and then push the UP or DOWN buttons until the proper Trailer Brake Type appears on the screen.

8. In a traffic-free environment, tow the trailer on a dry, level surface at a speed of 20–25 mph (30–40 km/h) and squeeze the manual brake control lever completely.

9. If the trailer wheels lockup (indicated by squealing tires), reduce the GAIN setting; if the trailer wheels turn freely, increase the GAIN setting.
Repeat steps 8 and 9 until the GAIN setting is at a point just below trailer wheel lockup. If towing a heavier trailer, trailer wheel lockup may not be attainable even with the maximum GAIN setting of 10.

upload_2021-1-1_13-6-26.png

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Other than the owners manual set up, trailer brakes are not a system for the do-it-your-selfer.... It it's a new truck, take it to the dealer. If you can't lock up the trailer brakes at a gain of 10, using the paddles alone, you have a brake controller problem.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The truck is set to "Light Electric". Wondering if "Heavy Electric" would help. If so, I haven't been able to figure out how to select "Heavy Electric" on the brake controller.
The Heavy, Light and EOH settings are found in the radio settings menu. You can set and save four different trailer brake settings and it will log the miles towed for each one.
The trailer brake application is speed dependent. You want to be moving 20-25 mph when using the manual slider to adjust the brakes.

OP
OP
G

G Graham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
It is the factory installed integrated brake controller. The trailer is a 4 Star 2 horse trailer.
I can tell the brakes work a little bit. They definitely don't come close to locking up when 10.0 gain is selected. I'll play with selecting Heavy Electric. If not, I'll take it to the dealer.

It's a 2020 with less than 2,000 miles on it.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Since the power going from the trailer brake controller to the trailer's brakes is a pulse width modulated signal (PWM), conventional voltage measuring methods will likely not measure the true power being applied to the trailer brakes. PWM signals are typically measured by looking at the duty cycle of the signal, that is, power on time versus power off time within the period of the signal.

The best way to troubleshoot the issue is to first see if the trailer brakes are capable of locking up the wheels, something that isn't always the case based on the weight of the trailer. For example, my Montana RD3790 RV will not lock up the wheels but will apply tremendous braking force. My 20-foot utility trailer will lock-up the wheels when the trailer isn't loaded.

You didn't mention the type of trailer you have but testing is simple, pull the emergency braking switch so the back-up battery is feeding power to the trailer brakes. Whatever braking effort is offered is the best the brakes can do.

Like NH RAM offered, the trailer braking system is a proportional braking system, that is, the tow vehicle's brakes stop the tow vehicle while the brakes on the trailer stop the trailer. When the trailer brake controller is set correctly, the tow vehicle will not offer any stopping power to the trailer and vice-versa. Stopping power is reduced when a tire's rotation is halted.

If the trailer is new, the brakes require bedding before they will offer any stopping force.

Vegas250rr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just wondering if the original poster came to a solution because I am having the same thing happen with my new to me truck. Please update if you can.

bighog85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Exact same issue here with my 2022 2500. Really needing a solution so I can leave for a trip in two days.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I had the same issue with my RAM IBC, in two different trucks from Gen4 and now with Gen5. The OEM controller kinda worked ok with a couple of the smaller fifth wheels I have had over the years. This latest camper though it doesnt seem to work at all. Set the truck on heavy electric and maxed out at 10...you could tell it was trying but hardly any brakes to speak of. Ended up installing a Tekonsha prodigy P3 after market controller with the suggested wiring adapter (3024-P) which took like 15 minutes to install. And now I can lock up the brakes whenever I want to . So using the same RV, with the stock IBC, and the after market unit...night and day braking performance.

Last edited: